PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to those poor mac users

pushpills
01-17-2005, 07:31 AM
You know it could happen...no one makes spyware for macs, but whoever does, can get a stranglehold on the market. Sure its only 1-2 percent of the computer market...but the rest of the market already has dozens of other spyware controlling their pc, so if you're the only one infecting them, you can make some serious bucks. Plus we all know the majority of mac users are idiots who can only use completely plug and play hardware. These idiots will never be able to get the shit off their computer, there isnt any anti spyware for macs either.

Poor mac users will be wondering why they spent twice as much for a machine that can only do 1/100th the shit a regular computer can, and is also vulnerable to spyware (once its made)

Almighty Colin
01-17-2005, 07:37 AM
I was at the apple store yesterday. It was packed. Some very nice computers. I really liked the one with the hard drive built into the monitor. As soon as someone makes one for Windows I'll get it. ;-)

Newton
01-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Whilst spyware issues do not affect Mac users, you may find that some Web browser cookies fall under this broad definition of spyware.

Virus issues are similarly less frequent on a Mac than on a PC, but it is wise to run antivirus software, particularly if you run Microsoft applications on your Mac.

Mac users would disagree as to the "1/100th the shit a regular computer can". Macs are very good and used primarily for ease of use and with less crashes. Many mainstream companies use cross platforms within recording studios, design agencies, magazine houses etc.

Your Hanson Christmas cds were most likely created in a mac environment ;)

Cleo
01-17-2005, 08:11 AM
What are these things you call spyware and viruses?

Almighty Colin
01-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Cleo@Jan 17 2005, 08:12 AM
What are these things you call spyware and viruses?
i.e. IE

Cleo
01-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Pushpils should be the first to actually write one. Just imagine how rich he could become not to mention he will instantly become a super chick magnet.

pushpills
01-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Cleo@Jan 17 2005, 08:29 AM
Pushpils should be the first to actually write one. Just imagine how rich he could become not to mention he will instantly become a super chick magnet.
you'd spread it through file sharing, not thru i.e. prompts. all ya gotta do is be able to bind it with other software and learn how to control safari and jack search results.

Nickatilynx
01-17-2005, 07:24 PM
jacking browsers is bad , mmmkay

Weg Cory
01-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Almighty Colin@Jan 17 2005, 04:38 AM
I was at the apple store yesterday. It was packed. Some very nice computers. I really liked the one with the hard drive built into the monitor. As soon as someone makes one for Windows I'll get it. ;-)
How is that going? (Apple conversion)

Feel free to call me rather than email.

Pushpills,

I just don't think it would be a viable market share.

pushpills
01-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Weg Cory+Jan 17 2005, 06:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Weg Cory @ Jan 17 2005, 06:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Almighty Colin@Jan 17 2005, 04:38 AM
How is that going? (Apple conversion)

Feel free to call me rather than email.

Pushpills,

I just don't think it would be a viable market share. [/b][/quote]
I admit its a small one, but one things for sure, mac users never virus check any fileshare software they download, they dont have any other wares jacking their search results, and they never see popups, which could be made-to-cater if controlling safari.

Cleo
01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
http://cleoslinks.com/crap/BHdrEvil1024x768.jpg

grimm
01-18-2005, 03:39 AM
Heh, i want to see someone try to make spyware for OSX. Its a brick wall, with a moat.

People that own macs runniong OSX i find to be far more computer savvy that your average PC user, expecially when you dig down deep and find out you're dealing with basicall a BSD architecture running a fantastic operating system, that never goes down, freezes, etc.

I like my powerbook much more than my PC's now.. it took me a while to get over the PC bias, but once i realized how far superior the architecture was, spending 1200 on a notebook more powerful, reliable, and stable than any PC ive ever owned, it seemed like a no brainer.

Ive never had to reinstall the OS, never got a virus, never got spyware, Programs load and run at the speed of light, the user interface is complex, yet user friendly at the same time. plus, they had 5 hour battery life way before centrino laptops, and still last longerCant say enough about what apple has done. They have created a vastly superior product and made if affordable. I am boing to upgrade to the next gen powerbook, run Virtual PC on it, and forget about windows:)

in fact, i am thiniing about getting a X-Serve just to tinker with it, learn OSX server to a degree that i can maintain my own X-Serve.

Mike AI
01-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 18 2005, 03:40 AM
Heh, i want to see someone try to make spyware for OSX. Its a brick wall, with a moat.

People that own macs runniong OSX i find to be far more computer savvy that your average PC user, expecially when you dig down deep and find out you're dealing with basicall a BSD architecture running a fantastic operating system, that never goes down, freezes, etc.

I like my powerbook much more than my PC's now.. it took me a while to get over the PC bias, but once i realized how far superior the architecture was, spending 1200 on a notebook more powerful, reliable, and stable than any PC ive ever owned, it seemed like a no brainer.

Ive never had to reinstall the OS, never got a virus, never got spyware, Programs load and run at the speed of light, the user interface is complex, yet user friendly at the same time. plus, they had 5 hour battery life way before centrino laptops, and still last longerCant say enough about what apple has done. They have created a vastly superior product and made if affordable. I am boing to upgrade to the next gen powerbook, run Virtual PC on it, and forget about windows:)

in fact, i am thiniing about getting a X-Serve just to tinker with it, learn OSX server to a degree that i can maintain my own X-Serve.

And how many cats do you own now??

Cleo
01-18-2005, 09:51 AM
I love the fact that when I put a bigger drive in my Powerbook all I had to do was use a free program, Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html), to clone my old boot drive to my new boot drive and in last then one hour my new drive was an exact copy of my old drive without have to reinstall anything. In fact I put my old drive in a FireWire case and can even boot from it.

I've had my 17" Powerbook for almost two years now and have never had to restart do to a crash or had to do any maintenance at all to it, it just works.

Weg Cory
01-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 18 2005, 12:40 AM

Exactly.

grimm
01-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Jan 18 2005, 06:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Jan 18 2005, 06:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grimm@Jan 18 2005, 03:40 AM

And how many cats do you own now?? [/b][/quote]
just one, the same one, why?:)

Mike AI
01-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Hmmmm owning a mac, liberal, and a cat....

I think we need intervention next time I am in NO!!

grimm
01-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jan 18 2005, 02:33 PM
Hmmmm owning a mac, liberal, and a cat....

I think we need intervention next time I am in NO!!
hahah ive owned a mac for over3 years, the cat for over 4, and ive been a liberal since youve known me;)

grimm
01-18-2005, 05:34 PM
hey but im always up for an intervention:)