PDA

View Full Version : any one know how to make custom name servers?

pearl noir studio
01-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I would like to know how you do that and what you need for it. can any one help me here.

Ok my time is almost over as i am going to enjoy vegas with my wife. Greatings from here to you all. Weater could be better :yowsa:

sarettah
01-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by pearl noir studio@Jan 3 2005, 06:25 PM
I would like to know how you do that and what you need for it. can any one help me here.

Ok my time is almost over as i am going to enjoy vegas with my wife. Greatings from here to you all. Weater could be better :yowsa:
You need a dns server proggy of some kind and then you have to get the settings right...

Most server programs have wizards etc to help with the setup. I am not sure of what is available on the nix side.

If the server is windows 2000 (iis) there is built in dns stuff that just have to be turned on.

If you are running a third party server (as I do) then you just go through and set it up.

Not sure of what else to tell you about it :)

Hell Puppy
01-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by pearl noir studio@Jan 3 2005, 06:25 PM

Again, maybe let us know exactly what you're trying to do....and we can be of more help.

If you just wanna run your own nameserver, you can run bind on any unix box quite easily. However, maintaining the zone records is not something that I recommend doing unless you are experienced or have someone who is experienced looking over your shoulder. It's very easy to fuck it up and get some flakey behavior that is an absolute bitch to troubleshoot. One misplaced period can fuckup all sites under that domain.

Opti
01-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Jan 9 2005, 09:41 PM
One misplaced period can fuckup......
Everything!! :moon: