PDA

View Full Version : I'm so overpacked

Hell Puppy
01-02-2005, 12:00 AM
I find as I get older I'm developing a nasty habit of overpacking. I used to be able to go a week on a 22 inch carry on.

Now I find I pack like a woman....I even carry more than 1 pair of shoes.

Peaches
01-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Jan 2 2005, 01:01 AM
I find as I get older I'm developing a nasty habit of overpacking. I used to be able to go a week on a 22 inch carry on.

I only pack EXACTLY what I will need. I detest carrying crap if I don't have to. If I ever have to stay an extra day, I'm screwed. :(

My Mom overpacks. She packed 4 suitcases for her and my Dad to visit me at the beach a couple of years ago for 4 days. I was there 2 weeks and had one suitcase. Having a W/D where I vacation makes me very happy :)

You could always Fed-Ex your shoes to someone who lives in Vegas....not that anyone's ever done that, of course.... :rolleyes:

Richard N. Bush
01-02-2005, 12:20 AM
There's a mall or two in Vegas...

With that said, I think I have enough stuff packed for 2 weeks instead of one. :D

Peaches
01-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Richard N. Bush@Jan 2 2005, 01:21 AM

With that said, I think I have enough stuff packed for 2 weeks instead of one. :D
Good, if I run out of clothes, I know who to borrow from :)

Hell Puppy
01-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Richard N. Bush@Jan 2 2005, 12:21 AM

Just what I need, buy more stuff and have to pack it or ship it back home....

Maybe 2 weeks of clothes is a good omen, if i hit the Megabucks pot, I'm staying an extra few days.

Then, when I get home, I'll open my own board so I can post messages about everything I buy with it.

Hell Puppy
01-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jan 2 2005, 12:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jan 2 2005, 12:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Richard N. Bush@Jan 2 2005, 01:21 AM

Good, if I run out of clothes, I know who to borrow from :) [/b][/quote]
Yeah, that'll work. Either of our shirts will make a nice full length dress for you.

gonzo
01-02-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Richard N. Bush@Jan 2 2005, 12:21 AM

Your sick and staying at home in bed.

mojobill
01-02-2005, 06:44 AM
I thought for a minute, I was falling into the same category.... ALMOST had two suitcases for this trip..... I just stuffed one a little more than I usually do for a week in Vegas! ;-)

That said.... I'll see you all there in a few hours!

Nickatilynx
01-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Next year it will be a case of have "opera slippers , will travel"

kath
01-02-2005, 12:20 PM
The thing about most locations is that you need to pack in layers... like Vegas - sometimes it's freezing cold, other times it's warm compared to where you're coming from. Hub & I squeezed all of our stuff into the big suitcase this time around (so far... we'll see how this actually works out!) with just one carry-on sized duffel for extra little stuff.

My mom is the same way Peaches - I remember one summer we drove from NW Ohio to West Virginia for a trip to see the grandparents and some kid at a gas station asked if we were moving. We were only going for 5 days and between mom, dad and 3 kids we had nearly 10 suitcases up on top of the station wagon and craploads of stuff in the back. lol

:rolleyes:

Peaches
01-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by kath@Jan 2 2005, 01:21 PM
My mom is the same way Peaches - I remember one summer we drove from NW Ohio to West Virginia for a trip to see the grandparents and some kid at a gas station asked if we were moving. We were only going for 5 days and between mom, dad and 3 kids we had nearly 10 suitcases up on top of the station wagon and craploads of stuff in the back. lol

I was going to Vegas a couple of years ago for a show and my Dad gave me a ride to the airport in my car. When I got out and took my one suitcase out, he panicked: "Where are the rest of your suitcases??!!" :P

I won't be the most stylish in Vegas, but I WILL be able to carry everything comfortably :)

kath
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jan 2 2005, 09:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jan 2 2005, 09:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kath@Jan 2 2005, 01:21 PM

I was going to Vegas a couple of years ago for a show and my Dad gave me a ride to the airport in my car. When I got out and took my one suitcase out, he panicked: "Where are the rest of your suitcases??!!" :P

I won't be the most stylish in Vegas, but I WILL be able to carry everything comfortably :) [/b][/quote]
:yowsa:

Aren't Dads fun? I can just picture that look - my mom would be shocked to know that hub and I *share* a suitcase! lol

Raven
01-02-2005, 12:46 PM
I just discovered I have ADD when it comes to packing.
Nothing in my closet is safe.

So, now I let Tev do my packing. I lay everything out, which means emptying my closet. If it's not in the first pile, it doesn't go into the suitcase.

grimm
01-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jan 1 2005, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jan 1 2005, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Jan 2 2005, 01:01 AM

I only pack EXACTLY what I will need. I detest carrying crap if I don't have to. If I ever have to stay an extra day, I'm screwed. :(

My Mom overpacks. She packed 4 suitcases for her and my Dad to visit me at the beach a couple of years ago for 4 days. I was there 2 weeks and had one suitcase. Having a W/D where I vacation makes me very happy :)

You could always Fed-Ex your shoes to someone who lives in Vegas....not that anyone's ever done that, of course.... :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
i usually carry a separate bag for shoes. one pair black dress, one casual, and one atheltic shoe. of course, my size 14's take up a gym bag. and i cant fit 2 days worth of clothes in a 22 inch:)

*KK*
01-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm still looking for someone who's driving in from LA to take my shoes this time ;)

I'm actually the worlds worst packer. If I pack the day before I go then I forget a lot of things but tend to travel light. If I pack the day I go, I forget a lot of things, but I bring stuff I wouldn't wear together to save my life. Of course then you get to the point where you do indeed look like you found your clothes in the Goodwill bin in the nice part of town.

Maybe I just wont take any bags to Vegas this time, I'm not going to be there that long, I wonder if I could actually get away with shopping for everything.

Almighty Colin
01-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 2 2005, 12:56 PM
i usually carry a separate bag for shoes.
Same thing I do.

Peaches
01-02-2005, 05:39 PM
OK, I have 6 pairs of pants, 11 shirts/sweaters, 2 tshirts with PJ bottoms, 3 pairs of shoes, stuff to make me beeyouteeful and smell good, 2 pocketbooks, business cards, various undergarments and socks, an umbrella, a roll of masking tape (never know when something needs hemming....) and a book all packed into 1 large softside Samsonsite bag.

Life is good :)

Edited to add - I might POSSIBLY take a small bag for shoes so I can fit some show goodies in for the trip back :okthumb:

*KK*
01-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Shit, I never thought of packing masking tape. Hollywood Fashion tape for the JLo at the awards show outfits, yes, but masking tape.

I think I'll bring a roll of duct tape. Between Peaches and I, we should have every instance of chance covered.

VooMan
01-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I never used to overpack, until I started going to shows. Now I fill a HUGE suitcase as far as it will go. Looks like I have turned into my father...

All clothes that fit, whether they are nice or not. Advil, Rolaids, Robitussin... A carton of cigarettes (you never know when you'll be caught in a snowstorm). All shoes that fit... well, I guess they all fit since I stopped growing about 20 years ago. Toothpaste, shampoo, electric razor, beard trimmer (to clean up what the razor misses), toilet paper (I don't like the sandpaper they use at most hotels as I have a sensitive tushy). The list goes on...

The thing is, with a show I never know what to expect. Am I going to nice restaurants, or are we going to hang out in the lobby? Am I meeting Peaches every morning at Denny's for breakfast? One must be prepared for all contingencies. hahaha

Peaches
01-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by VooMan@Jan 2 2005, 07:20 PM
toilet paper (I don't like the sandpaper they use at most hotels as I have a sensitive tushy).

Am I meeting Peaches every morning at Denny's for breakfast? One must be prepared for all contingencies. hahaha
You always seemed to have a happy tushy during our breakfasts :)

You guys are such weenies! I need to come before every show and pack for everyone :P

VooMan
01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 2 2005, 06:24 PM

That's why I bring my own TP, Peaches. :awinky:

Oh, and by the way... how can you all be packed already?

I've got laundry going right now, gotta finish vacuuming, still have to water the plants... THEN I'll think about packing. :okthumb:

grimm
01-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by VooMan+Jan 2 2005, 03:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VooMan @ Jan 2 2005, 03:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Jan 2 2005, 06:24 PM

I've got laundry going right now, gotta finish vacuuming, still have to water the plants... THEN I'll think about packing. :okthumb: [/b][/quote]
Tucks man, tucks. thank me later.

;)

FEATS OF STRENGTH!

Peaches
01-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by VooMan+Jan 2 2005, 07:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VooMan @ Jan 2 2005, 07:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Jan 2 2005, 06:24 PM

I've got laundry going right now, gotta finish vacuuming, still have to water the plants... THEN I'll think about packing. :okthumb: [/b][/quote]
Usually I do cleaning/regular laundry/dishes/etc. first and pack last.

Trying the opposite this year.

I've been up since 4AM and I'm starting to fade though.....my goal is to get in bed by 9.

VooMan
01-02-2005, 06:45 PM
hahaha Grimm, too funny! :)

And now we begin, with the airing of grievances!

grimm
01-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

grimm
01-02-2005, 06:47 PM
The Festivus Pole cannot be too light, yet not too heavy

Hell Puppy
01-09-2005, 06:52 AM
And after all that....I find I wish I had packed more short sleeved shirts.

Lesson learned this time is no matter what the forecast is for Vegas, pack short sleeve shirts for indoors and only go to the sleeves if going outside.

The Tucks comment reminds me of something else about Vegas.... Sometime at the sundry shop, buy a box of "Gold Bond" and watch how many other guys in the store or in line get that "oh good idea!" look on their face and also go grab a box.

DrumWild
01-10-2005, 02:05 AM
i used to do that, i almost carry the whole bag with loads of things.