PDA

View Full Version : Signature Rules

Nickatilynx
01-01-2005, 12:45 PM
This is a shout out to the board members over sig spots.

What would work for you guys?

I'm thinking:
1.) if you post 100 useful posts a mth ,say , you are entitled to yr sig , yr family
2.) bringing in randon sigs for sponsors.
3.) Charging causal sig users
4.) Bringing in a board sig broker..

Any feed back here?

Winetalk.com
01-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I can make 100 useful posts a day if pressed
;)

sarettah
01-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 1 2005, 12:46 PM

I'm thinking:
1.) if you post 100 useful posts a mth ,say , you are entitled to yr sig , yr family

Any feed back here?
The only one I understood was number 1.......... :blink:

But, in reply to what I think you were saying (rusty on my pikey, ya know):

I think any sig market just leads to the same shit as pay per post, a bunch of worthless posts. So, any sig transactions should be private, as they are now.

Family should be able to carry anything they want in their sigs (within reason of course as to size)

People with their own program to push (ie: owners and actual employees) should be able to carry a banner or button for their program.

And everybody, even newbies should be able to at least carry a tag line (not necessarilly a link or advertisement) on their posts.

just imho of course.

Nickatilynx
01-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Jan 1 2005, 10:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Jan 1 2005, 10:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Jan 1 2005, 12:46 PM

I'm thinking:

Any feed back here?

I think any sig market just leads to the same shit as pay per post, a bunch of worthless posts. So, any sig transactions should be private, as they are now.

Family should be able to carry anything they want in their sigs (within reason of course as to size)

People with their own program to push (ie: owners and actual employees) should be able to carry a banner or button for their program.

And everybody, even newbies should be able to at least carry a tag line (not necessarilly a link or advertisement) on their posts.

just imho of course. [/b][/quote]
Ok.....good points well made...

gonzo
01-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Jan 1 2005, 01:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Jan 1 2005, 01:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Jan 1 2005, 12:46 PM

I'm thinking:

Any feed back here?

just imho of course. [/b][/quote]
Ahhh the old signature issue. Here are some random thoughts I have ....

Let me start off by saying that I am personally responsible for the policy of .... "if you aint a sponsor you dont get a button in your signature" policy.

What lead to that was the attitude last year of several sponsors comments to me along the lines of how its cheaper to hire a whore or they would just run an ad in their signature and see how that works out.

Everybody and their brother started cramming shit in their signatures so I asked Mike and Serge about putting a stop to it. We did.

Since December 1st we have relaxed that policy as a marketing test. And the results are quite simple. Advertising on Oprano represents a value to each and everyone of you that fly a text link or button. And its been noted... Regardless of what youve told me in the past.

Outside of a signature for Oprano Radio and one for Celebrity Bling I have never ran anything in mine. And I have plenty I could promote including my own affiliate program.

Sare has made a decent point on "family". Of course there are some misconceptions of who is and who aint. We have an idea in mind to clarify that as well in 2005. Stay tuned.

I agree somewhat that program owners should be given some "consideration" in promoting as well. Problem with employees is every affiliate could be considered one and we get into all that bullshit again.

Sare you used a damn good line in that post. Back in BBS days there were 2 slots on messages when we were transferring mail before there was an internet. Both were referred to as "taglines". One was for the originating BBS so you knew who the poster "belonged to"... the other one was generated by a mail reader from a text file which you made up cool ones.

One of mine was .... "GonZoland...High Crime Zone in The City of Life" GonZoland BBS 404-974-5767.

We all liked taglines back then. They were informative and entertaining.

Currently every user of this system has the option of using a signature field. Post count here isnt a status symbol.... no matter what kind of bullshit Mr. Izzz will have you believe at the Zoo.

Bottom line is ... they are here to be used but not abused.

We dont mind others profiting from Oprano but be certain that we expect to share in those profits as well.

I only have one rule when I set up a website and its applies here as well...

"Everything on the site MUST fall into one of 2 categories...

1. Its there because it brings me traffic.
2. Its there because it brings me money.

If it doesnt fall into either category... delete it.

Nickatilynx
01-01-2005, 02:03 PM
We dont mind others profiting from Oprano but be certain that we expect to share in those profits as well.

I only have one rule when I set up a website and its applies here as well...

"Everything on the site MUST fall into one of 2 categories...

1. Its there because it brings me traffic.
2. Its there because it brings me money.

If it doesnt fall into either category... delete it.

I love you. :)

sounds like me talking to Dravyk circa 98.

Still doesn't listen ;-)))

Lee
01-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I beleive this would be the appropriate place to say..

SEE SIG ;)

Hell Puppy
01-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Like 'em or not, Sigs have become a part of the business. It's kinda like TGP's. Sure, you probably dont like it, you wish you could make it go away. But it aint going anywhere, so you might as well figure out how to utilize it in a way that compliments your business.

There's a balance that has to be struck no matter how you do it, and unfortunately it basically requires enforcing common sense which is tough. On one hand, you gain many additional contributors who can have value to add to the board by allowing Sigs....letting them get their plug in with their sig is the cost of their participation. But at the same time, you have to pimp smack the true idiots who would flood the board with non-sense just for sig views or worse yet, jump into every thread with a short meaningless reply to get their sig positioned.

The other thing is as gonzo said, protecting advertiser value. I think you do that with size restrictions. No ad, 120x60 is all you get. Buy an ad and you can have the fat daddy flash banners, etc.

The Fat Fucking Nobodies think tank came up with a nifty idea of how to do something next generation with Sig-Ho'ing, but it requires code. I know GonZo has been chewing on it.

Dravyk
01-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 1 2005, 02:04 PM
sounds like me talking to Dravyk circa 98.

Still doesn't listen ;-)))
Didja say something? :awinky:

grimm
01-01-2005, 03:55 PM
i think this thread is ghey

and nick too:)

Lee
01-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 1 2005, 12:56 PM
i think this thread is ghey

and nick too:)
No but my sig is..

SEE SIG ;)

grimm
01-01-2005, 10:46 PM
hwy yoUR Prty ia probably going to kick aass.. wish i could make it..,

grimm
01-01-2005, 10:46 PM
and nick is indeed a 3 dollar bill;)

Lee
01-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Jan 1 2005, 07:47 PM
hwy yoUR Prty ia probably going to kick aass.. wish i could make it..,
Well i hope it turns out a success.

With the last 6 months of planning that went in to it, it should be lol

I started planning the Phoenix events we'll be holding sometime early December and when we get back from Vegas, plans start to be made for our Florida events too hehe

Vick
01-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 1 2005, 12:46 PM

I'm thinking:

Any feed back here?
First, Oprano belongs to Nick and Gonzo so you can do whatever you'd like

in answer to the questions

1 - Being a long time family member and an Oprano founding father (believe you have to have posted on ynottopond for that distinction) I like my big ass sig as it is. Years back I did advertise on Oprano Plus and in years past did add a small prize to the Oprano Pick 'em.
Does any of that entitle me to anything - NO
Would I like to keep my sig as it - Yes

2 - Never been a fan of that, having another sig by mine is a distraction for me. Never liked it on other boards
However if it generates revenue then ......
Maybe have the random sponsor sig come up on posts by posters who have text link only - those not yet family members

3 - Fuck yeah

4 - Um - not in favor of it. Looks to be th estart of sig whoring. Look what sig whoring has done in other places

Nickatilynx
01-02-2005, 11:36 AM
So far I am totally with Vicks comments.

But I also think Lee's party will be really gay. ;0-))

Lee
01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 2 2005, 08:37 AM
Well it would have been gayer if you had agreed to do the lap dances ;)

As it stands its just going to be really business orientated with a bunch of companies who market to the gay community :)

Nickatilynx
01-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Lee+Jan 2 2005, 08:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lee @ Jan 2 2005, 08:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Jan 2 2005, 08:37 AM
Well it would have been gayer if you had agreed to do the lap dances ;)

As it stands its just going to be really business orientated with a bunch of companies who market to the gay community :) [/b][/quote]
Lets not beat off around the bush! ;-)))

Its gay , now stop hijacking what was a sensible thread....

Remember sigs are an eccmencial matter,

thus the lord giveth,and the lord can take away or in the very least really fuck with them ;-))

Lee
01-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 2 2005, 08:44 AM
thus the lord giveth,and the lord can take away or in the very least really fuck with them ;-))
So sayeth Moses on the sabbath day ;)

*KK*
01-02-2005, 03:56 PM
It became more trouble than it was worth on the pond to have to deal with signature selection on every post, and annoying to see someone you can't stand advertising their goods in your posts (even though it was the board putting that in).

Frankly I'm a believer in just leaving well enough alone and letting people do what they want to, since most people around here are adult enough to get the whole thing. When you make a big deal out of something so trivial then it turns into a kindergarten atmosphere.

The one thing I think would be funny, is to only be able to use text signatures -- I'd love to see what sort of creative things people would come up with to get some notice.

Almighty Colin
01-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Jan 2 2005, 03:57 PM
The one thing I think would be funny, is to only be able to use text signatures -- I'd love to see what sort of creative things people would come up with to get some notice.
I am most likely to become interested in someone's signature when I become interested in the person themself - because of their wit, intellect or in some cases unfortunately, the opposite.

*KK*
01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Jan 2 2005, 01:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 2 2005, 01:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-*KK*@Jan 2 2005, 03:57 PM
I am most likely to become interested in someone's signature when I become interested in the person themself - because of their wit, intellect or in some cases unfortunately, the opposite. [/b][/quote]
Therefore it might become rather interesting to see what they come up with for a sig, in their own words, so to speak ;)

TheEnforcer
01-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I wanna run a FPA in my sig!! :P

LOL j/k

I'm easy going. Whatever you guys decide is cool by me. I'm kinda oblivious to sigs in the sense that to notice them I essentially have to be on the lookout for something in particular to scan through them. Occasionally stuff cathces my eye but I've never really been annoyed by a sig with the only exception being on the rare occasion one makes me have to scroll right to read posts cause it's so damn big. :angry:

gonzo
01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Real good points in this thread. It validates several things we are thinking on. Currently unless you are a psonsor your nor supposed to be running a graphic banner.

We decided not to enforce that till we came up with a better plan. And we have encouraged a few to put em in.

The end result will be profitable for us all.

Ill end this post and head to a meeting by saying this... I clicked on every signature and banner on oprano and signed up for every program. I believed that these were the profitable and in general more honest programs since they were here.

In some cases that was very true. It gives me another idea. Nick I hope your resting...when I get back the onslaught will begin.

Show don't start till tomorrow either!

gonzo
01-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Real good points in this thread. It validates several things we are thinking on. Currently unless you are a psonsor your nor supposed to be running a graphic banner.

We decided not to enforce that till we came up with a better plan. And we have encouraged a few to put em in.

Ill end this post and head to a meeting by saying this... I clicked on every signature and banner on oprano and signed up for every program. I believed that these were the profitable and in general more honest programs since they were here.

In some cases that was very true. It gives me another idea. Nick I hope your resting...when I get back the onslaught will begin.

gonzo
01-03-2005, 11:06 AM

gonzo
01-03-2005, 11:10 AM

XXXPhoto
01-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Could you repeat that Gonzo, I missed it... :^Ð

weirdharold
01-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by *KK*@Jan 2 2005, 12:57 PM

I love this statement..... like banner ads.... over the years I learned to simply tune out sigs... they became useless bullshit... so why waste my time?

Now true enough I will often use my sigs to get SE's immediate attention to some nugget I want to be found quickly.... but that has been about all I use a sig for.... But I do like the idea of the creative mind capturing my attention! I believe that would have me really looking over the sigs...... as I have noticed I am beginning to do with some of the members here.

gonzo
01-03-2005, 01:28 PM

sarettah
01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
ohmyfuckinggod.....it's a gonzo bot :blink:

Top_Of_Google_Man
01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
I was hoping to sell mine to Ibill......guess thats out the window now!

gonzo
01-03-2005, 06:17 PM

TheEnforcer
01-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I think the board likes what Gonzo has to say!! :P

Nickatilynx
01-03-2005, 06:49 PM
He is just trying to increase his post count...

cause that is so prized here on oprano.

;-)))

gonzo
01-03-2005, 06:50 PM

Nickatilynx
01-03-2005, 06:51 PM
aHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

or he may have gone totally crazy , or he may be a bot...

gonzo
01-04-2005, 12:11 AM

gonzo
01-04-2005, 01:08 AM

gonzo
01-04-2005, 01:09 AM

Vick
01-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Why is the theme music from the old Batman show running through my head?

But instead of the words "Batmen" I'm hearing "Gonzobot"

:P

Nickatilynx
01-04-2005, 12:54 PM
SWEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna have to start deleting my paretners posts!!!!

Excellent :)

With regard to sigs , I'm begining to side with KimmyKim , "Creative text links for all" banners for sponsors and according to board support.

TE and peral's sig is hella annoying...

Opti
01-04-2005, 01:26 PM
I have a guy working for/with me... a young guy that is really smart and a good talker but no-one anyone here would have heard of.

I noticed he had a couple of thousands of posts on GFY a few weeks back and thought "Cool, I'll get him to run stuff for me in his sig"

Bugger has a waiting list... and is picking up around $600/mth for his sig space. And I had no idea he was a sig whore.. I was impressed enough with his posts on GGandJim to want to manage a pretty vital part of my biz for me.

Point is, maybe you guys know all about the money in this area, but I didn't.. and it could be a good way to "pay" quality posters... You would want this guy posting here I think and I bet there is more like him you could attract with some sort of exclusive sig deal status.... and auction off their sig space monthly to advertisers.

It would let "non-family" types, who wont post themselves, advertise their stuff and get good exposure too.

Rolo
01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
http://forum.bilder.nu/viewtopic.php?t=994 <-- I think this guy works in the adult industry.. probably a sigwhore or postingwhore but that means we will never see him here at oprano... (well expect for these pics) :awinky:

Dianna Vesta
01-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Jan 2 2005, 04:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jan 2 2005, 04:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-*KK*@Jan 2 2005, 03:57 PM
I am most likely to become interested in someone's signature when I become interested in the person themself - because of their wit, intellect or in some cases unfortunately, the opposite. [/b][/quote]
That's how I feel. Every now and then a sig might catch my eye if it's related to what I need or my interest but to be honest another program is just another program so chances are I would not click them.

I do however click sigs of people I think are interesting. I want to see what they are up to, what motivates them and check out their business. In doing that I have signed up.

I’m doing something else now and very happy with it but as a long old time webmaster there is something that would have been really helpful to me and I think you guys can definitely pull it off…

I use to go to boards looking for resources and information. Anyone could get on a list if they traded a banner. Ok, good traffic.

I would have loved to seen a program review board where the reviewers anonymously went in, signed up, compared stats, traffic and how they handled their payouts. If a program was on the up and up and wanted to be reviewed you charge them to keep their listing up and do ongoing updated reviews. If they aren’t they won’t want this, right? So you end up with the top programs that pays you BIG bucks to be in your top list and webmasters get to know who’s on the up and up. Then again the review is only as real as the reviewer.

But serious Gonzo and Nick, you guys are such hardcore assholes that you could really make something like that work. You’d do everyone a favor and you’d have areas for sponsors that actually got viewed. I know it must be tough because I never click the banners on the top. Ok, maybe now and then but hardly ever.

cj
01-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 4 2005, 12:55 PM
With regard to sigs , I'm begining to side with KimmyKim , "Creative text links for all" banners for sponsors and according to board support.

funny, 2 of the original board whores agree on exactly the same format ;-)

I'm with KK, and no matter how many sub rules you come up with ... K.I.S.S. is the best formula ever.

Cleo
01-05-2005, 08:09 AM
SIgs should be fast loading and not so big as to push the width of the board bigger then that average width of a person's browser's window.