PDA

View Full Version : A great legal defense from ancient greece

Nickatilynx
12-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Dec 28 2004, 12:35 PM
In ancient Greece there was a prostitute named Phryne. She was well-known for adjusting her prices according to how she felt about the customer. When the King of Lydia wanted her, Phryne charged him an absurd sum. We are told that he paid the amount and then levied a tax on Lydians in order to pay for her services. On the opposite end of the spectrum, since she admired the philosopher Diogones she didn't charge him anything.

Phryne's customers included a number of wealthy greek citizens and they made her wealthy in turn. She even, at one point, offered to rebuild Thebes walls.

At some later time she managed to get herself in a bit of trouble and was accused of
blasphemy. Her offense? Apparently she became involved in a cult. Phryne would have to face a jury. She was accused of "worshipping gods not sanctioned by the state", a capital offense that could possibly carry the death sentence. In the end, she was acquitted. And what did she do to gain her acquittal? She showed the jury her tits.
ahahahahahahahahaha
Simple market economics at its best.

Talking of whoring out and changing prices...
check out the new ad price on Oprano :)

;-)))

I always liked the logic of the Aristhophanes in The Clouds...paraphrasing..
"Father you beat me as a child, for bad behaviour , you say now that you are in "your second childhood" , prepare for a beating"

Almighty Colin
12-28-2004, 03:34 PM
In ancient Greece there was a prostitute named Phryne. She was well-known for adjusting her prices according to how she felt about the customer. When the King of Lydia wanted her, Phryne charged him an absurd sum. We are told that he paid the amount and then levied a tax on Lydians in order to pay for her services. On the opposite end of the spectrum, since she admired the philosopher Diogones she didn't charge him anything.

Phryne's customers included a number of wealthy greek citizens and they made her wealthy in turn. She even, at one point, offered to rebuild Thebes walls.

At some later time she managed to get herself in a bit of trouble and was accused of
blasphemy. Her offense? Apparently she became involved in a cult. Phryne would have to face a jury. She was accused of "worshipping gods not sanctioned by the state", a capital offense that could possibly carry the death sentence. In the end, she was acquitted. And what did she do to gain her acquittal? She showed the jury her tits.

Almighty Colin
12-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 28 2004, 02:52 PM
I always liked the logic of the Aristhophanes in The Clouds...paraphrasing..
"Father you beat me as a child, for bad behaviour , you say now that you are in "your second childhood" , prepare for a beating"
"The Clouds" is on my reading list but I'm not there yet. I'll keep your paraphrase in mind.