PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo nominated me for a pearl ;-}}}

Nickatilynx
12-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Dec 19 2004, 05:22 PM
Ha, gonzo nominated me for a "pearl" on gfy -- funny thing about it is that almost 6 years after Nick explained it to me, people still don't get it.
awww shucks thks :)

" Nicks Laws of Traffic"

1.) If it sends traffic you can spam it.
2.) If it receives traffic you can shave it
3.) Forget conversion rates or the hit count , look at the check
4.) Surfers are not customers UNTIL they pay , then never let them go.
;-)))

One day I hope to be teaching a course on website traffic at a University , and being refered to as "professor"....

the money will prolly suck but I'm told the benfits are incredible ;-))

Remember gonzo is really a newbie in so many ways ;-)))

*KK*
12-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Ha, gonzo nominated me for a "pearl" on gfy -- funny thing about it is that almost 6 years after Nick explained it to me, people still don't get it.

JoesHO
12-19-2004, 09:21 PM
a pearl by any other name is still a pearl

shakespere circa ( early on)

Mike AI
12-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I collect pearls.

TheEnforcer
12-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Dec 19 2004, 07:44 PM

One day I hope to be teaching a course on website traffic at a University , and being refered to as "professor"....

I have a very good friend of mine who is about a year away from getting her Phd in English Literature and then will be off looking for a job at a university. I really admire and envy her cause if I had it to do over again I would have made a concerted effort to finish school earlier and try to do the same in Philosophy.

gonzo
12-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Dec 19 2004, 08:22 PM
It was a good post KK.

All that matters is out of who your sending the traffic to....sends you the biggest check. And of course if it dont bounce!

You keep telling em. They just wont believe!

Almighty Colin
12-20-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer+Dec 19 2004, 10:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnforcer @ Dec 19 2004, 10:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Dec 19 2004, 07:44 PM

I have a very good friend of mine who is about a year away from getting her Phd in English Literature and then will be off looking for a job at a university. I really admire and envy her cause if I had it to do over again I would have made a concerted effort to finish school earlier and try to do the same in Philosophy. [/b][/quote]
Well, do it now. I'm considering travelling the country (world?) taking history courses from world-famous professors, authors of books I like and so on.

Nickatilynx
12-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer+Dec 20 2004, 09:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnforcer @ Dec 20 2004, 09:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Colin@Dec 20 2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Dec 19 2004, 10:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Dec 19 2004, 07:44 PM

I have a very good friend of mine who is about a year away from getting her Phd in English Literature and then will be off looking for a job at a university. I really admire and envy her cause if I had it to do over again I would have made a concerted effort to finish school earlier and try to do the same in Philosophy.
Well, do it now. I'm considering travelling the country (world?) taking history courses from world-famous professors, authors of books I like and so on.
By the time I would be finishing my Phd I would be about 42 or 43 years old and comepeting for jobs at a university with late 20 very early 30's kids. Philosophy is one of the hardest fields to secure a job in in the academic world as it is. That dream has passed me by. [/b][/quote]
A perfectly prepared excuse to fail ;-)))

You are never too old!

JoesHO
12-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Dec 20 2004, 01:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 20 2004, 01:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Dec 19 2004, 10:00 PM

Well, do it now. I'm considering travelling the country (world?) taking history courses from world-famous professors, authors of books I like and so on. [/b][/quote]
you want a caddy? I can carry books like no other :D

TheEnforcer
12-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Dec 20 2004, 04:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 20 2004, 04:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Dec 19 2004, 10:00 PM

Well, do it now. I'm considering travelling the country (world?) taking history courses from world-famous professors, authors of books I like and so on. [/b][/quote]
By the time I would be finishing my Phd I would be about 42 or 43 years old and comepeting for jobs at a university with late 20 very early 30's kids. Philosophy is one of the hardest fields to secure a job in in the academic world as it is. That dream has passed me by.

*KK*
12-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Why do you have to turn it into a job Matt?

Almighty Colin
12-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer+Dec 20 2004, 12:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheEnforcer @ Dec 20 2004, 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Colin@Dec 20 2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Dec 19 2004, 10:00 PM

By the time I would be finishing my Phd I would be about 42 or 43 years old and comepeting for jobs at a university with late 20 very early 30's kids. Philosophy is one of the hardest fields to secure a job in in the academic world as it is. That dream has passed me by. [/b][/quote]
My father used to say similar things. Then at age 50 he opened his own school.

I agree with Nick. You are never too old.

I also agree with KK. You can get the PhD for fun. ;-)

Peaches
12-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Dec 20 2004, 02:42 PM
I also agree with KK. You can get the PhD for fun. ;-)
My brother is pretty sure he got his PhD for fun. :P

Dravyk
12-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Georgia O'Keefe.

'nuff said.

TheEnforcer
12-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Good points made by all. It's something I will look into.

TheEnforcer
12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Dec 20 2004, 01:09 PM
Why do you have to turn it into a job Matt?
As much as I enjoy school the time and effort of getting a Phd isn't something I would be able to sustain just for the sake of doing it. I will check into it again and consider my options.