PDA

View Full Version : Darwin award nominee

TheEnforcer
12-18-2004, 03:13 PM
http://www.idahopress.com/articles/2004/12/16/news/news2.txt

Idaho man shoots friend in chest on a dare

Death: Kamiah man apparently encouraged friend to shoot him in the chest while wearing bulletproof vest

The Associated Press

OROFINO -- A Kamiah man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly fatally shooting his friend -- on a dare -- through a protective vest.

Alexander Joseph Swandic of Orofino died of a gunshot wound to the heart, Clearwater County Sheriff Alan Hengen said. If convicted, David John Hueth, 30, faces up to 10 years in prison.

Authorities claim that Swandic donned the protective vest Monday night about six miles east of Weippe and asked Hueth to shoot him, apparently as a prank or a dare.

Investigators claim Hueth initially denied pulling the trigger, saying Swandic's wound was self-inflicted, but later admitted firing the 9 mm semiautomatic handgun.

The two apparently tested the vest by propping it against a dirt bank and shooting it twice, police said.

"After Hueth shot the vest they pulled a bullet out of it and realized it did not go through," Amanda Barlow, a Clearwater County sheriff's deputy, wrote in a probable cause affidavit.

But the vest was designed to protect against grenade fragments, not bullets, said Deputy Guy Cordle, a firearms expert. It failed to stop the bullet fired while Swandic was wearing the vest.

"They shot where the vest lapped over, but that was the weakest spot," Cordle said.

A third man with the group, 28-year-old Pierce resident Thomas Fitzpatrick, told the men not to do it and was getting into his truck to leave when Swandic was shot, Barlow said.

"He said after the shot he saw Swandic grasp his chest and start jumping around in the road. He said that he stumbled over to his truck and then fell down on the ground," she said.

The other two men loaded Swandic into the bed of his own pickup truck and then drove him to a nearby home, where they called authorities. Emergency crews took Swandic to Clearwater Valley Hospital in Orofino, where he was pronounced dead.

Police claim Hueth confessed to shooting Swandic.

"He said, 'I pulled the trigger. I shot him. I killed my best friend,'" Cordle said.

Hueth is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Dec. 27.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forest
12-18-2004, 03:17 PM
:unsure:

Nickatilynx
12-18-2004, 03:19 PM
Oh come!!!

You wouldn't be tempted?

Say you had a ...taser.

And you and your friends wondered what it would be like to be tasered.

Wouldn't ya be tempted?

LOL

;-)))

Lee
12-18-2004, 03:21 PM
If only more GFY'ers would do something similar.

Winetalk.com
12-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Lee@Dec 18 2004, 03:22 PM
If only more GFY'ers would do something similar.
..the world would be a better place
;-))