PDA

View Full Version : Need an inexpensive quick getaway?

Vick
12-05-2004, 04:56 AM
If you haven't seen it Southwest has some $39 each way fairs

You can get them as little as a week out from desired departure time

Am looking up taking my girlfriend and son to Orlando for next weekend just to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on Sunday and see La Nuba

Southwest is the greyhound of the skies but traveling with a young child gets you first priority boarding, no waiting for A,B,C boarding and hoping to get a seat

pushpills
12-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Southwest is nice, cheap as a fuckin bus, gets you where you're goin' I've gone to meet some friends relatives in other states here and there just for dinner or whatnot. No big deal, just 80-110 round trip without a hotel.

JoesHO
12-05-2004, 05:54 AM
it is hard to beat Orlando, and Disneyworld for taking a young child with you... good choice Vick...

mojobill
12-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Wish Southwest had more flights out of Detroit... had to take NW to enjoy this week in the sun.... ;-)

I'm sitting on the porch on my laptop enjoying the sun, in Florida right now! ;-)

Mike AI
12-05-2004, 10:37 AM
SWA is great for getting me back to NO. They are well run, and turn a profit. Gasp!!

JoesHO
12-05-2004, 11:18 AM
what about that co. called Jetblue ? they are in the east right? how is their service/flights etc.....

anybody ever flown the new hooters airline ?

SykkBoy
12-05-2004, 12:00 PM
I almost always fly Soutwest

Peaches
12-05-2004, 12:07 PM
I've been watching Airline on A&E...I don't know if I would be happy flying SW if they were in ATL. Their lack of code sharing with other airlines is enough to spook me away :(

I think they are a great airline and certainly a well run company, but just not something for me.

Then again, my gfather helped start Delta and my uncle was a pilot for them, so I might be a little biased :awinky:

JoesHO
12-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 5 2004, 09:08 AM
I've been watching Airline on A&E...I don't know if I would be happy flying SW if they were in ATL. Their lack of code sharing with other airlines is enough to spook me away :(

I think they are a great airline and certainly a well run company, but just not something for me.

Then again, my gfather helped start Delta and my uncle was a pilot for them, so I might be a little biased :awinky:
I have always liked Delta...

buckethead
12-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Southwest is a good airline.

pushpills
12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Dec 5 2004, 10:19 AM
what about that co. called Jetblue ? they are in the east right? how is their service/flights etc.....

anybody ever flown the new hooters airline ?
jet blue is cheap, but missing alot of major cities.

Vick
12-05-2004, 04:05 PM
I've flown a few airlines

Business wise Southwest os great

From a passenger standpoint I don't like them, it really is too much like the Greyhound Bus of the skies. No assigned seats, instead herded like cattle.

But the price is almost always the best

Peaches
12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Dec 5 2004, 05:06 PM
I can get a Kia cheaper than a BMW too :)

However, with the state of the aviation business as it is, we might have no choices except the discount airlines :( I just want Delta to stay in biz until I can use my FF points to see the kid in Japan B)

Nickatilynx
12-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Dec 5 2004, 01:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Dec 5 2004, 01:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Dec 5 2004, 05:06 PM

However, with the state of the aviation business as it is, we might have no choices except the discount airlines :( I just want Delta to stay in biz until I can use my FF points to see the kid in Japan B) [/b][/quote]
When I flew...(out of necessity , I waaaay prefer liners or train or car , I hate flying)

I always flew first class or Concorde.

Now my criteria are different with 6 people to buy airfare on a cheap airline to London say 3500 Dollars

Business 12000 Dollars

First 20000 Dollars..

fuck that shit!

For the saving in costs..I'll suffer in cattle class for a few hours.

Mind you Virgin biz class is great value.

Mike AI
12-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Dec 5 2004, 04:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Dec 5 2004, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Dec 5 2004, 05:06 PM

However, with the state of the aviation business as it is, we might have no choices except the discount airlines :( I just want Delta to stay in biz until I can use my FF points to see the kid in Japan B) [/b][/quote]

Cannot compare flying to buying a car.

I can deal with SWA on any flights less then 2 hours as long as its direct.

Its the only airline with direct to and from NO, so I use them a lot. I will give you advice - check in online before you head to airport. Print up boarding pass - you will always be an A. It helps a lot to be one of the first head of cattle on.

Peaches
12-05-2004, 06:02 PM
If SW flew from ATL and I was taking a 2 hour flight, I might be able to deal with it. Not sure though :awinky:

Hell Puppy
12-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 5 2004, 06:03 PM
If SW flew from ATL and I was taking a 2 hour flight, I might be able to deal with it. Not sure though :awinky:
Airtran is the Atlanta answer to Southwest. Small, lean, no frills, and they're turning a profit. The little 717s they fly actually aren't bad, they're new and have good ventillation and plenty of storage space in the cabin even in coach.

That said, my favorite thing about Airtran is they force Delta to price themselves reasonably on routes where they compete. I'll always go Delta if price isn't an object simply because I know they'll get me there. I have seen how Airtran reacts when there is bad weather, cancelled flights, etc....you're pretty much on your own.

grimm
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 5 2004, 09:08 AM

delta has a low cost airline, song.

http://www.flysong.com/home/index.jsp

as for jetblue, they have direct NY-LA flights, which is rare for a cheaper airline.

they only have one major hub, a relatively new airline, southwest has been around forever, hence all the routes

grimm
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy+Dec 5 2004, 07:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hell Puppy @ Dec 5 2004, 07:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Dec 5 2004, 06:03 PM
Airtran is the Atlanta answer to Southwest. Small, lean, no frills, and they're turning a profit. The little 717s they fly actually aren't bad, they're new and have good ventillation and plenty of storage space in the cabin even in coach.

That said, my favorite thing about Airtran is they force Delta to price themselves reasonably on routes where they compete. I'll always go Delta if price isn't an object simply because I know they'll get me there. I have seen how Airtran reacts when there is bad weather, cancelled flights, etc....you're pretty much on your own. [/b][/quote]
I fly Airtran to Atlanta and NYC.. the layovers can be killers though.

But you get business class for the price of a coach ticket on delta, and they have a bunch of new planes

TondaB
12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Dec 5 2004, 02:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Dec 5 2004, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Peaches@Dec 5 2004, 04:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Dec 5 2004, 05:06 PM

However, with the state of the aviation business as it is, we might have no choices except the discount airlines :( I just want Delta to stay in biz until I can use my FF points to see the kid in Japan B)

Cannot compare flying to buying a car.

I can deal with SWA on any flights less then 2 hours as long as its direct.

Its the only airline with direct to and from NO, so I use them a lot. I will give you advice - check in online before you head to airport. Print up boarding pass - you will always be an A. It helps a lot to be one of the first head of cattle on. [/b][/quote]
Good advice Mike. I did not realize you could print out an A prior to leaving for the airport. Thanks!

dantheman
12-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I love southwest, been using them for years and have never had 1 problem at all.

grimm
12-10-2004, 07:20 PM
A mother and her son were flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas City to Chicago.

The son (who had been looking out the window) turned to his mother and asked, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?"

The mother (who couldn't think of an answer) told her son to ask the stewardess.

So the boy asked the stewardess, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?"

The stewardess responded, "Did your mother tell you to ask me?"

The boy said, "Yes she did."

"Well, then, tell your mother that there are no baby planes because Southwest always pulls out on time. Have your mother explain that to you."

:nyanya: