PDA

View Full Version : LYCOS DDOS Causes them to be blackholed

Anthony
12-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Lycos started today a screen saver that would DDOS by stealing bandwidth from spam sites or as they say spammers...

http://makelovenotspam.com/intl/ is their babyl.

Stupid fuckers didn't think of the legal ramification this would entail.

However, the wonderful ppl at SPRINT USA, and other major Carriers have black holed their domain, and urls as they DO know this is illegal.

Kudos to Sprint and others!

RawAlex
12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Anthony, here is a question:

if the people who push things like gator say "people downloaded it knowingly", coudln't Lycos say the same thing? Is there any restriction to what an end user can do with their individual computer? Is it DDOS or is it just an end user system that keeps the most current page in memory for major important ecommerce websites?

Think it through.

(I think it is DDOS, but it all depends on how you look at it).

Alex

Anthony
12-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Dec 1 2004, 02:09 PM
Anthony, here is a question:

if the people who push things like gator say "people downloaded it knowingly", coudln't Lycos say the same thing? Is there any restriction to what an end user can do with their individual computer? Is it DDOS or is it just an end user system that keeps the most current page in memory for major important ecommerce websites?

Think it through.

(I think it is DDOS, but it all depends on how you look at it).

Alex
Alex,

Interesting point of view.

However, this is not the case. Surfers download this for the express reason of stealing bandwidth and causing a DDOS.

Putting themselves into a legal situation is one thing, to cause the users who download their screensaver to be privvy to it's illegal nature is just reprehensible by Lycos.

masterp74
12-02-2004, 07:45 AM
I use Excite