PDA

View Full Version : Will Bush visit Canada?

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 02:44 PM
President Bush has yet to make an official visit to Canada.

He had a visit planned for May 5th 2003, but cancelled it (supposedly) due to unhappiness over Ottawa's stance on the war in Iraq and alleged anti-American comments by members of the Chrétien government.

Canada is the United States’ most important trading partner, with an equivalent of over $1 billion a day in goods, services, and investment crossing the borders in each direction in 2001. That's a lot of hockey pucks.

In the first three quarters of 2003, the United States imported more oil (including crude oil and petroleum products) from Canada than from any other country.

It might be in his interest to pay us a visit and kiss a little beaver ass!

Mike AI
11-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Or we could put the 4th ID on the border and take your oil and timber.

That is what many Candians insist Bush is doing in Iraq.

Hell I bet it would be a lot quicker to take over Canada. Don't have to worry about them fighting back much, plus we would not have to ship our troops around the world, and we could build pipelines right to the US! ( I bet Halliburton could build them!)

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Nov 10 2004, 03:47 PM

Hell I bet it would be a lot quicker to take over Canada. Don't have to worry about them fighting back much, plus we would not have to ship our troops around the world, and we could build pipelines right to the US! ( I bet Halliburton could build them!)
Don't forget hydro electric power, natural gas (2.5 trillion cubic feet of it), coal, etc etc..

We could just keep it all to ourselves, and then you can pay European prices or higher at the gas pumps.

Mike AI
11-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Nov 10 2004, 02:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Nov 10 2004, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Nov 10 2004, 03:47 PM

Don't forget hydro electric power, natural gas (2.5 trillion cubic feet of it), coal, etc etc..

We could just keep it all to ourselves, and then you can pay European prices or higher at the gas pumps. [/b][/quote]
Even better..... Harvesting all of Canada's natural resource sounds good.

Don't think there won't be a time when wars over resources rage in this world. Fresh water will be important as well.

So I guess you guys better start kissing Uncle Sam ass, so we continue to keep our security umbrella over all of the Northern Hemisphere!

Oh and I think Candian women are one of your best resources as well!

:okthumb:

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 03:12 PM
The only people who need that security umbrella are south of our borders. Remember Mike, everyone loves Canada!

I would really like to see studies on American soft nationalists who might at heart prefer a simpler, more peaceful life. A life similar to what Canadians lead in a free, open and liberal country.

Scary word liberal, huh? :yowsa:

Mike AI
11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 10 2004, 03:13 PM
The only people who need that security umbrella are south of our borders. Remember Mike, everyone loves Canada!

I would really like to see studies on American soft nationalists who might at heart prefer a simpler, more peaceful life. A life similar to what Canadians lead in a free, open and liberal country.

Love won't last long when population keeps growing and natural resources start becoming deplete.

But if you choose to beleive love will protect ya'll.... it just makes it easier for the rest of us!

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Nov 10 2004, 04:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Nov 10 2004, 04:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Nov 10 2004, 03:13 PM

Love won't last long when population keeps growing and natural resources start becoming deplete.

But if you choose to beleive love will protect ya'll.... it just makes it easier for the rest of us! [/b][/quote]
You do realize that it is you depending on me and not the other way around for most natural resources, right Mike?

We can turn it off when we want. What would happen then?
Of course this wouldn't happen, but if it did, do you think Bush would spread propaganda that our Prime Minister hates Americans, and is probably developing WMDs in an old hockey rink somewhere north of Flin Flon, Manitoba?

I'm starting to think that there is a distinct possibility that Canada will eventually absorb the USA into it's dominion as a 12th province, or possibly a new Canadian territory.

Mike AI
11-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Chris in the system that the US in the protector of, yes, we are the ones who needs Canadian natural resources. We are perfectly happy to let markets control the supply/demand.

The current model of globalism helps Canada - but remember this is the US system. It is one we built, protect and have expanded. If it comes to a crisis point, which I do not see in our lifetimes - but there is a chance it will happen - a new system could replace globalism.

I am not sure you pray, but if you do put in a word of thanks to your neighbors in the north who created a system, and protects it so you can live peacefully and successfully.

Oh, and your welcome!

:awinky:

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Flin Flon. Yes. This will be the capital of the Order of the New World!

In all seriousness though. Mike I'm not sure exactly what "globalism" precisely is, or who came up with it. I know however, that Canada's economic and political system is based (both heavily and loosely) on British (and therefore European) methods. Like it or not, the USA also plays along. Maybe this is what you mean by globalism. Pardon my ignorance of the term.

Mike AI
11-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Chris you should read up on Globalism.

I suggest some books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/014...9483289-1696722 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140268316/104-9483289-1696722)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0385499345/qid=1100122646/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/104-9483289-1696722?v=glance&s=books)

From one of our most perceptive commentators and winner of the National Book Award, a comprehensive look at the new world of globalization, the international system that, more than anything else, is shaping world affairs today.

As the Foreign Affairs columnist for The New York Times, Thomas L. Friedman has traveled the globe, interviewing people from all walks of contemporary life: Brazilian peasants in the Amazon rain forest, new entrepreneurs in Indonesia, Islamic students in Teheran, and the financial wizards on Wall Street and in Silicon Valley.

Now Friedman has drawn on his years on the road to produce an engrossing and original look at globalization. Globalization, he argues, is not just a phenomenon and not just a passing trend. It is the international system that replaced the Cold War system; the new, well-greased, interconnected system: Globalization is the integration of capital, technology, and information across national borders, in a way that is creating a single global market and, to some degreee, a global village. Simply put, one can't possibly understand the morning news or one's own investments without some grasp of the system. Just one example: During the Cold War, we reached for the hot line between the White House and the Kremlin--a symbol that we were all divided but at least the two superpowers were in charge. In the era of globalization, we reach for the Internet--a symbol that we are all connected but nobody is totally in charge.

With vivid stories and a set of original terms and concepts, Friedman offers readers remarkable access to his unique understanding of this new world order, and shows us how to see this new system. He dramatizes the conflict of "the Lexus and the olive tree"--the tension between the globalization system and ancient forces of culture, geography, tradition, and community. He also details the powerful backlash that globalization produces among those who feel brutalized by it, and he spells out what we all need to do to keep the system in balance. Finding the proper balance between the Lexus and the olive tree is the great drama of he globalization era, and the ultimate theme of Friedman's challenging, provocative book--essential reading for all who care about how the world really works.

About the Author
Thomas L. Friedman is one of America's leading interpreters of world affairs. Born in Minneapolis in 1953, he was educated at Brandeis University and St. Anthony's College, Oxford. His first book, From Beirut to Jerusalem, won the National Book Award in 1988. Mr. Friedman has also won two Pulitzer Prizes for his reporting for The New York Times as bureau chief in Beirut and in Jerusalem. He lives in Bethesda, Maryland.

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Globalization... ah, now I hear you. Thanks for the links.

I still think Bush should visit Ottawa. I'd drive down there in a couple hours with a carton of eggs. :P

Rolo
11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Nov 10 2004, 11:54 AM
Don't think there won't be a time when wars over resources rage in this world. Fresh water will be important as well.
All wars have been and will be over resources... land, oil, people - all about who will control the resources.

I think it will be possible to build an international coalition against Canada - I hear eskimos and vikings are looking for a piece of the canadian empire ;-)))

Evil Chris
11-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Rolo+Nov 10 2004, 05:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rolo @ Nov 10 2004, 05:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Nov 10 2004, 11:54 AM
All wars have been and will be over resources... land, oil, people - all about who will control the resources.

I think it will be possible to build an international coalition against Canada - I hear eskimos and vikings are looking for a piece of the canadian empire ;-))) [/b][/quote]
Rolo, I'm assuming that I'm not writing "Rolo" on any of these eggs here? :lol:

DrGuile
11-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Rolo+Nov 10 2004, 04:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rolo @ Nov 10 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Nov 10 2004, 11:54 AM

I think it will be possible to build an international coalition against Canada - I hear eskimos and vikings are looking for a piece of the canadian empire ;-))) [/b][/quote]
We already gave Inuits (eskimos) a part of the land. Its called Ikaluit.

Bishop
11-10-2004, 05:02 PM
You guys need a hobby or something..

http://www.coolhobbies.com ---- hehehe

Rolo
11-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Nov 10 2004, 01:23 PM
We already gave Inuits (eskimos) a part of the land. Its called Ikaluit.
True, but you forgot about those living on the other side of the channel, and they got their eyes on 3 square kilometers of uninhabited rock ;-)

Evil Chris
11-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Visits Ottawa today, then off to Halifax tomorrow.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...isit041130.html (http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/30/bush_visit041130.html)

Mike AI
11-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 30 2004, 09:18 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...isit041130.html (http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/30/bush_visit041130.html)

You bringing your eggs? I would like to see what the secret service does to you.

Almighty Colin
11-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Nov 10 2004, 02:45 PM
alleged anti-American comments by members of the Chrétien government.

"Damn Americans ... I hate those - bastards." - Canadian MP, Carolyn Parrish

RawAlex
11-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Colin, keep up. Chretien retired, we have had an election, and the PM's name is Paul Martin.

;-)

Alex

Almighty Colin
11-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Nov 30 2004, 09:45 AM
Colin, keep up. Chretien retired, we have had an election, and the PM's name is Paul Martin.

;-)

Alex
Alex, read more carefully. She made that statement when Chrétien was prime minister. Not Martin. Glad I could contribute to your education. :okthumb:

Evil Chris
11-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Nov 30 2004, 10:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Nov 30 2004, 10:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Nov 30 2004, 09:18 AM

You bringing your eggs? I would like to see what the secret service does to you. [/b][/quote]
What did the SS (oh my!) do on W's inauguarl day when thousands of people threw eggs and protested?

Not much.

However, for my part it isn't worth the 2 hour drive to Ottawa.