PDA

View Full Version : Why do you vote (or not vote)?

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 08:32 AM
To be a part of the Democratic process? To have your vote tabulated?
Because of social mores stated in such expressions as "You don't have a right to complain if you don't vote" and "what if everyone thought that way"?

So what gives? Why vote at all?

cj
10-27-2004, 08:39 AM
the fact that its against the law not to

:rolleyes:

i really don't know if i would vote otherwise

wig
10-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Good question. I vote for who I believe most closely reflects my values / views irrespective of their chances of winning.

I think that if each person actually voted that way, there would be more representation outside of the two parties that control the US, which would be better for us all.

Couple this with my belief that whomever is elected is not an end all be all, it is easy to vote this way and move on to more productive things once it's over.

wig
10-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Colin, are you going to vote?

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by cj@Oct 27 2004, 07:40 AM

Never knew that. Quite interesting.

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by wig@Oct 27 2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Wig,

I never vote. From a mathematical point of view, the chance of my one vote making any difference at all is close to null. More importantly, the effort I have to exert to vote isn't worth the chance that my one vote might count. Bad risk/reward if you ask me. If I could vote online with a click of a button maybe I would but there is no candidate I like this year. Maybe I'd vote for one of the alternative candidates just for kicks but I seldom know much about them because, let's face it, they don't matter in the big scheme of things.

I think I have every right to complain even if I don't vote so no problem there and no one has shut me up yet.

If "everyone thought that way" I would vote and my candidate would win 1-0.

One more interesting argument presented to me by Jesse and I think it's great. One million people voting represents the population at large to within .1% 67% of the time and to within .2% 95% of the time (standard deviations). That's what we're REALLY doing. We're sampling the population to see what everyone wants. This is why representative government works and also an argument against the Australian policy that you can steal, CJ. ;-) Even the smallest states get a few hundred thousand people voting and the error there is only double the above. So I'm quite happy enough with the sample size. No need to add one more.

wig
10-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Oct 27 2004, 08:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 27 2004, 08:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wig@Oct 27 2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Wig,

I never vote. From a mathematical point of view, the chance of my one vote making any difference at all is close to null. More importantly, the effort I have to exert to vote isn't worth the chance that my one vote might count. Bad risk/reward if you ask me. If I could vote online with a click of a button maybe I would but there is no candidate I like this year. Maybe I'd vote for one of the alternative candidates just for kicks but I seldom know much about them because, let's face it, they don't matter in the big scheme of things.

I think I have every right to complain even if I don't vote so no problem there and no one has shut me up yet.

If "everyone thought that way" I would vote and my candidate would win 1-0.

One more interesting argument presented to me by Jesse and I think it's great. One million people voting represents the population at large to within .1% 67% of the time and to within .2% 95% of the time (standard deviations). That's what we're REALLY doing. We're sampling the population to see what everyone wants. This is why representative government works and also an argument against the Australian policy that you can steal, CJ. ;-) Even the smallest states get a few hundred thousand people voting and the error there is only double the above. So I'm quite happy enough with the sample size. No need to add one more. [/b][/quote]
Can't argue with that!

If it was difficult, time consuming or a pain in the ass for me to vote, I probably would not either.

The benefits (albeit a VERY small one) of living in bumfuck, GA. LOL

Mike AI
10-27-2004, 09:56 AM
I moved to Florida for a reason!

:D

Evil Chris
10-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Isn't Florida trying to secede from the union? :P

Opti
10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Oct 27 2004, 11:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 27 2004, 11:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cj@Oct 27 2004, 07:40 AM

Never knew that. Quite interesting. [/b][/quote]
What do you think about that idea Colin?

I can think of a few theoretical reasons why it could be bad... but in practice, I'm a big suporter of it.

Slightly sideways to the topic... But I heard an interesting PBS radio piece about Ohio voting for proportional distribution of their 9 EC votes. If passed it's slated to have effect on this election result, meaning the best either candidate should probably expect there is 5 of 9 votes if passed.

Short term it makes Ohio seem suddenly a lot less relevant.. but if all states go that way, it would actually make each persons vote feel like it counted a lot more... Im surprised even close to 50% of people would turn out to vote in non-swing states.. when there is no chance their vote will make a difference.

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Oct 27 2004, 10:12 AM
Isn't Florida trying to secede from the union? :P
Just Key West. ;-)

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Opti+Oct 27 2004, 10:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Opti @ Oct 27 2004, 10:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Colin@Oct 27 2004, 11:18 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-cj@Oct 27 2004, 07:40 AM

Never knew that. Quite interesting.
What do you think about that idea Colin?

I can think of a few theoretical reasons why it could be bad... but in practice, I'm a big suporter of it.

Slightly sideways to the topic... But I heard an interesting PBS radio piece about Ohio voting for proportional distribution of their 9 EC votes. If passed it's slated to have effect on this election result, meaning the best either candidate should probably expect there is 5 of 9 votes if passed.

Short term it makes Ohio seem suddenly a lot less relevant.. but if all states go that way, it would actually make each persons vote feel like it counted a lot more... Im surprised even close to 50% of people would turn out to vote in non-swing states.. when there is no chance their vote will make a difference. [/b][/quote]
Is Ohio doing that too? Colorado is. Fine with me either way. Popular vote, electoral vote, or whatever. I really don't care. In the very large majorityof cases there will be the same result and when not it's effectively a coin-toss anyway.

I think a lot of people vote for reasons other than "making a difference" (see thread starter).

As far as mandatory voting, I don't think it's necessary but I don't think it's such a big deal either way.

SykkBoy
10-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I vote to have a voice, even if it's only a small one...
I realize in the grand scheme of things, I'm just one vote, but on a local level there have been a lot of things passed by less than 100 votes.

I'm going down tomorrow to do my early voting and I'm going down with 4 others who've never voted before. There is another group of 15 that I helped get down and register and will be voting for the first time. Imagine if everyone got 4-5-6 more people interested in issues and would take them down to vote.

My grandfather and grandmother used to go down and basically cancel out each others vote, but they felt it was important tp keep the number of voters up because then there could be some semblence of their vote meaning something.

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Oct 27 2004, 12:41 PM
I realize in the grand scheme of things, I'm just one vote, but on a local level there have been a lot of things passed by less than 100 votes.

So do you vote symbolically? To have a symbolic voice? So YOU know who you're voting for? Or is it more than that?

Bishop
10-27-2004, 02:27 PM
I vote because I can. Will my vote turn the tide one way or another in the state I live in? No.

When I turned 18 I was just in time for a Presidental race.. that was exciting to me. When I was in college I volunteered in a Texas Governor race.. I enjoyed that even though my canidate lost. I don't always vote at the state level but I almost always vote at the national and local levels.

I like the fact that I have the option to vote.. It is important to my father and it was important to his father.. makes me feel like I am playing a role in the way things are.

SykkBoy
10-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Oct 27 2004, 12:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 27 2004, 12:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SykkBoy@Oct 27 2004, 12:41 PM

So do you vote symbolically? To have a symbolic voice? So YOU know who you're voting for? Or is it more than that? [/b][/quote]
I'm sure it's more symbolic
however, I'm very active with regards to local issues and politics.
Example, if I write to my congressman or senator, I feel I have a better chance of getting my voice hear when I remind them I'm a registered voter.

Politicians don't represent people, they represent voters and those who got them elected. While I'm not a big check writer, I contriubute to campaigns I feel that are worthwhile. Also, when I assisted in this recent voter drive, it was just to get people to vote for John Kerry and Tom Gallagher, it was to show these 18-21 year old kids that if they truly wanted even a symbollic voice, they need to get registered to vote and to stay active all year long, not just in November even 2 to 4 years. A bunch of protesters doesn't mean shit to a politician, but a bunch of protestors who happen to be registered, active voters mean a lot more and have a better chance of getting taken seriously.

A bunch of poorly dressed, hygeine lacking hippies saving the trees doesn't mean anything, but a bunch of poorly dressed, hygeine-challenged hippies who are registered voters and actually participate are a force to be reckoned with.

kath
10-27-2004, 02:50 PM
I never actually registered to vote until about 4 years ago so for me, this is all still new and exciting. Sure, my one little vote is just a drop in the bucket, but voting encourages me to stay up on all the little local issues, know who's running for what - what they stand for, what they vote on and what they've promised for our communities, etc.

I started voting when my kids were learning about the election process in school and started asking me why we'd never gone to the polls. They went that year with Daddy, but then started telling me that I should lend my voice as well. So I registered and the next year started voting - now the kids look forward to reading about the candidates, discussion propositions and political issues - it's become a whole family thing.

We all have different reasons for voting/not voting - but IMHO the best thing is that we have the CHOICE to vote - or NOT vote. I can't imagine how I would feel if it was against the law NOT to vote as CJ stated. Ack! I think I might have a completely different outlook on the situation in that case.

:unsure:

Almighty Colin
10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kath@Oct 27 2004, 01:51 PM
We all have different reasons for voting/not voting - but IMHO the best thing is that we have the CHOICE to vote - or NOT vote. I can't imagine how I would feel if it was against the law NOT to vote as CJ stated. Ack! I think I might have a completely different outlook on the situation in that case.

We have thousands of choices we are not permitted to make by law. We just get used to them. Such as seat belt laws, no smoking in restaurants (in certain states), no use of narcotics, no parking on the north side of Acacia Avenue during winter months. Ok, pretty much any law. We are all slaves to the machine. Enjoy it.

Rolo
10-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Vote for the guy you dislike the most, and call it therapy....

Practise the patience of voluntarily accepting suffering, and you can maintain a peaceful mind even when experiencing idiotic politicians on TV :bojump:

pushpills
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
I may vote sometime, but I didn't register this year. My reasoning is, of course, it's wasted effort as it wont make a difference, and also, i don't want to volunteer any paper trail on me. not sure how it would ever hurt me, but, whatever.

Bishop
10-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by pushpills@Oct 27 2004, 03:48 PM
I may vote sometime, but I didn't register this year. My reasoning is, of course, it's wasted effort as it wont make a difference, and also, i don't want to volunteer any paper trail on me. not sure how it would ever hurt me, but, whatever.

Paper trail huh?

THEY already know you exist.

Peaches
10-27-2004, 04:58 PM
You DO avoid jury duty if you don't register - at least it's that way in GA

But I've been registered to vote for 26 years and I've only been called to jury duty twice - once I had my broken leg and couldn't really hobble around very well so they excused me and the next time I had forgotten to tell them I'd moved and I was already out of the county I was called to serve in. :(

Bishop
10-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Oct 27 2004, 03:59 PM

But I've been registered to vote for 26 years and I've only been called to jury duty twice - once I had my broken leg and couldn't really hobble around very well so they excused me and the next time I had forgotten to tell them I'd moved and I was already out of the county I was called to serve in. :(

I can't imagine that they only call registered voters for jury duty. That doesn't make much sense.. everyone should be eligible for that headache not just those who vote.

pushpills
10-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Bishop+Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bishop @ Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pushpills@Oct 27 2004, 03:48 PM

Paper trail huh?

THEY already know you exist. [/b][/quote]
But they don't know my political preference.

Although I'm not sure of it in illinois, as peaches says, the jury duty selection thing is possible.

Peaches
10-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Bishop+Oct 27 2004, 05:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bishop @ Oct 27 2004, 05:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Oct 27 2004, 03:59 PM

I can't imagine that they only call registered voters for jury duty. That doesn't make much sense.. everyone should be eligible for that headache not just those who vote. [/b][/quote]
I may be wrong then....I swear it used to be that way. Maybe so many people didn't register to vote because they didn't want jury duty that they changed it.

Bishop
10-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pushpills+Oct 27 2004, 04:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pushpills @ Oct 27 2004, 04:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Bishop@Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-pushpills@Oct 27 2004, 03:48 PM

Paper trail huh?

Although I'm not sure of it in illinois, as peaches says, the jury duty selection thing is possible. [/b][/quote]

What's your political preference?

pushpills
10-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bishop+Oct 27 2004, 03:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bishop @ Oct 27 2004, 03:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by pushpills@Oct 27 2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Bishop@Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM

Paper trail huh?

Although I'm not sure of it in illinois, as peaches says, the jury duty selection thing is possible.

What's your political preference? [/b][/quote]
I do as my cock does and lean to the right.

Bishop
10-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by pushpills+Oct 27 2004, 04:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pushpills @ Oct 27 2004, 04:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Bishop@Oct 27 2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by pushpills@Oct 27 2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Bishop@Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM

Paper trail huh?

What's your political preference?
I do as my cock does and lean to the right. [/b][/quote]

I have informed THEM of this. You are now free to vote. :biglaugh:

Lisa
10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by kath@Oct 28 2004, 04:51 AM

:unsure:
Actually, voting, per se, is NOT compulsory.

What IS compulsory is that you turn up at the polling booth, have your name crossed off the list, accept the ballot sheets with the candidates names on them, then head into the little box where the pencils are.

Whether or not you write on said pieces of paper is up to you, also, WHAT you write on those ballot sheets is entirely your choice.

Most elections I leave them blank, only resorting to writing rude remarks when the political jingles played on radio and tv by a particular candidate have pissed me off royally.

:)

cj
10-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Oct 27 2004, 02:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 27 2004, 02:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kath@Oct 27 2004, 01:51 PM

We have thousands of choices we are not permitted to make by law. We just get used to them. Such as seat belt laws, no smoking in restaurants (in certain states), no use of narcotics, no parking on the north side of Acacia Avenue during winter months. Ok, pretty much any law. We are all slaves to the machine. Enjoy it. [/b][/quote]
and just like we all get used to wearing seatbelts and going to apply for a license before we can drive a car - australians are just used to having to vote ... some do it willingly, others reluctantly, but almost everyone does it.

There's as many benefits as there are disadvantages ... if you look at colin's maths breakdown above about sample data, and we had voluntary voting, there would not be enough votes to count anything LOL Our population is only 20 million ...

On the good side, our federal elections are announced 5 weeks prior to the election, campaigns last for about 2 - 3 weeks instensely, then we all return to getting on with our lives. No months of marketing, no millions and millions of dollars spent on trying to get people off their asses to vote etc ... no months of boring foreigners on chat boards with election talk :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

Because voting is compulsory, a lot of people have decided they don't want the 2 main parties (labor & liberal coalition) but they have to vote for someone ... so more people tend to go for the independant parties & voting them into the senate, which I think makes for a fairer government. non compulsory voting means people don't get out of their chairs unless they are passionate about it ...

Im with colin though - i dont think my vote counts enough to be worth the effort. When they gave me the main form i had 2 choices - number 1 - 50 of all potential candidates or number 1 next to who i wanted to win. Guess which i picked :rolleyes:

Almighty Colin
10-28-2004, 05:10 AM
CJ,

I have another solution. Voting could be like jury duty. x number of people are chosen completely at random to vote. This would fairly sample the population.

In a two person election if you sample 10,000 people the error is 1%. This means that polling 10,000 would correctly sample the population to within 2% in 19 out of 20 elections.*

* The standard deviation of 10,000 is the square root of 10,000 which is 100. This is 1%.
So in this case two standard deviations is 2%. Two standard deviations encompasses 95% of the population (19 out of 20).

cj
10-28-2004, 08:29 AM
LOL

Interesting way of looking at it colin, and probably more likely to get a fair sample data of a population. and imagine all those marketing dollars that have to go into promoting the concept of voting to get enough of a turnout!!

do the candidates get to have a place picking the voters like in that john grisham novel .... the last juror ? :biglaugh: I can imagine the tactics LOL

Almighty Colin
10-28-2004, 09:25 AM
CJ,

It's interesting how the election results change when you change the rules of the game.

If we actually sampled in the US the Democrats would win almost every election. There are more registered Democrats than Republicans. That this doesn't happen is because Republicans are more likely to vote than Democrats or conversely those groups least likely to vote tend to consider themselves Democrats.

Yeah, the whole "Get out and vote" thing is an interesting phenomenon. "MTV had Rock the Vote". I saw P Diddy on MTV the other day on a "get out and vote" commercial. It turns out he's put together a nonpartisan group to increase voter awareness among minorities and young people- which is sort of funny because it will clearly increase voter registration in the Democrat group over the Republican.

kath
10-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Oct 27 2004, 01:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Oct 27 2004, 01:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Bishop@Oct 27 2004, 05:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Oct 27 2004, 03:59 PM

I can't imagine that they only call registered voters for jury duty. That doesn't make much sense.. everyone should be eligible for that headache not just those who vote.
I may be wrong then....I swear it used to be that way. Maybe so many people didn't register to vote because they didn't want jury duty that they changed it. [/b][/quote]
It used to be that way in California too Peaches, but just recently they started getting you for jury duty from the DMV - so if you have a driver's license, state ID or registered vehicle - you're on the jury duty list.

My husband gets called every 6 months like clockwork... never ever been on a jury however, I mean seriously - what defense attorney wants a state correctional officer on the jury? I don't see it happening... still they keep calling him in for review.

Sharpie
10-28-2004, 02:58 PM
If I was voting in Indiana this year, I wouldn't bother... it is already pretty much pre determined where the electrol college votes are going. (I really don't like the winner takes all rules...it makes for apathy, because your vote doesn't really count. )

However, since this is my first time voting in Florida...... gotta vote - just so I can say I did :-) Who knows what is going to happen down there!

MissEve
10-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Ialways vote in local elections because there arent very many voters here and I know that my vote CAN make a difference. There are some very tight local elections/ballot measures here where the winner is decided by a few hundred votes. I will cast my vote for Kerry even though AK is a die hard Republican state and my vote wont make a difference. I know that change happens slowly and I hope that my vote will add to that 30% or so and maybe in the next few years it will go up to 35%! :) Its like playing sports and losing badly but trying hard to score once so the other team doesnt shut you out!

Winetalk.com
10-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Oct 27 2004, 08:57 AM
I moved to Florida for a reason!

:D
you are Republican Operative we heard so much from PD!!!!!
;-)))

Dravyk
10-28-2004, 08:19 PM
I vote so P. Diddy don't kill me! :matey:

http://www.click2music.se/images_international/pdiddy/diddy6.jpg

wig
10-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Okay... went and voted this morning. The ealry voting option made it easy, but it was still a 40 minute wait while being surrounded by blue hairs.

The computer screen voting was cool and painless.

PD, you'll be happy to know that I voted for a Democrat for Sheriff. He's my neighbor and brought one of my mules back that got loose one day without writing me a ticket.

Is that a good reason or what? :salute:

God bless America!

Peaches
10-29-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by wig@Oct 29 2004, 12:24 PM
Okay... went and voted this morning. The ealry voting option made it easy, but it was still a 40 minute wait while being surrounded by blue hairs.

PD, you'll be happy to know that I voted for a Democrat for Sheriff. He's my neighbor and brought one of my mules back that got loose one day without writing me a ticket.

God bless America!
Where did you go? I need to check where I'm supposed to go - I think it's different from where you go..........?

squirtingcarly
10-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Oct 29 2004, 08:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Oct 29 2004, 08:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wig@Oct 29 2004, 12:24 PM

God bless America!
Where did you go? I need to check where I'm supposed to go - I think it's different from where you go..........? [/b][/quote]
A little south of you Peaches we head to the government center and voted early all this week. Still a long wait but not as long as it will be on Tues.

I vote because if you don't at least vote to change something or keep it you really have no reason to complain. Plus, the thought of another 4 with current administration makes me sick.

wig
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Oct 29 2004, 11:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Oct 29 2004, 11:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wig@Oct 29 2004, 12:24 PM

God bless America!
Where did you go? I need to check where I'm supposed to go - I think it's different from where you go..........? [/b][/quote]
Behind the old courthouse. If they are closed, the sign said the library.

cj
10-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by wig@Oct 29 2004, 11:24 AM
HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAA

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

"Well howdy neighbour - I found your mule over yonder"

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Almighty Colin
10-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by wig@Oct 29 2004, 11:24 AM
He's my neighbor and brought one of my mules back that got loose one day without writing me a ticket.
You crack me up.

Peaches
10-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Oct 30 2004, 05:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Oct 30 2004, 05:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wig@Oct 29 2004, 11:24 AM
He's my neighbor and brought one of my mules back that got loose one day without writing me a ticket.
You crack me up. [/b][/quote]
You should see the local police report in the paper - there are a lot of "livestock incidents" :lol:

wig
10-30-2004, 09:52 AM
CJ,

I'm the "redneck" that unfortunately many of the "opposite persuasion", especially during this political season, like to classify as the southern, toothless, illiterate, uneducated conservative aka obvious GWB supporter.

You know, the people in the US who think that only the coasts and the NE have the patent on intelligence (or representing your wonderful country, guys like Mr. SixPack). Of course, nothing could be further from the truth in my case (except the southern part having been born in Miami and now living in Georgia -- YeeHaw).

In Australia I would be a Ringer or at my level a Jackaroo/ Jillaroo who lives on a Station -- albeit with some bank. ;-))) I live the lifestyle not our of necessity, but choice and I relish it.

Colin,

See, voting can be fun, fun, fun! LOL Until the next trek into the neon jungle :rokk: on my friend!

And I'm glad to call Peaches my neighbor! :inlove:

Happy Halloween weekend to all!

Almighty Colin
10-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by wig@Oct 30 2004, 08:53 AM
CJ,

I'm the "redneck" that unfortunately many of the "opposite persuasion", especially during this political season, like to classify as the southern, toothless, illiterate, uneducated conservative aka obvious GWB supporter.

You know, the people in the US who think that only the coasts and the NE have the patent on intelligence (or representing your wonderful country, guys like Mr. SixPack). Of course, nothing could be further from the truth in my case (except the southern part having been born in Miami and now living in Georgia -- YeeHaw).

In Australia I would be a Ringer or at my level a Jackaroo/ Jillaroo who lives on a Station -- albeit with some bank. ;-))) I live the lifestyle not our of necessity, but choice and I relish it.

Colin,

See, voting can be fun, fun, fun! LOL Until the next trek into the neon jungle :rokk: on my friend!

And I'm glad to call Peaches my neighbor! :inlove:

Happy Halloween weekend to all!
There is a strong cultural bias against the South especially from those in the Northeast. People up North used to tell me that people in the South are lazy and slow.

On that note, my book recommendation of the week is "The Redneck Manifesto".