PDA

View Full Version : Bad News for Scammers

gonzo
10-23-2004, 03:44 PM
FIrst Microsoft kills off all popups reducing revenue for a lot of people existing on the exit traffic as the profit margin....

Now Epoch steps up and kills off prechecked cross sales.

My my surfers arent getting charged for something they really didnt order to begin with!

StreetRacer
10-23-2004, 09:49 PM
"My my surfers arent getting charged for something they really didnt order to begin with! "

Thinking like that is exactly why the average webmaster is living on air and ends up back at their previous 9 to 5'er

gonzo
10-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by StreetRacer@Oct 23 2004, 08:50 PM
"My my surfers arent getting charged for something they really didnt order to begin with! "

Thinking like that is exactly why the average webmaster is living on air and ends up back at their previous 9 to 5'er
Amen to that.... treat em like customers instead of suckers.

gonzo
10-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Sounds like someone we know?
Bad time for spammers and scammers.... hey isnt that some of that AdWare that Flop Earred Bunny was bragging his system did?

CONCORD, N.H. - A federal judge has ordered a man known as the "Spam King" to disable so-called spyware programs that infiltrate people's computers, track their Internet use and flood them with pop-up advertising.

U.S. District Judge Joseph DiClerico issued a temporary restraining order Thursday against Stanford Wallace and his companies, SmartBot.net Inc. of Richboro, Pa., and Seismic Entertainment Productions Inc. of Rochester. SmartBot's principal place of business is Barrington.

Prosecutors sought the injunction on behalf of the Federal Trade Commission, which targeted Wallace in its first anti-spyware action.

The judge ordered Wallace to remove software code that exploits security holes in computer operating systems and Web browsers, then tracks people's Internet use to bombard them with pop-up ads.

Wallace also is accused of trying to sell computer users $30 remedies called "Spy Wiper" and "Spy Deleter" that the FTC says don't work.

full story
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._te/ftc_spyware

grimm
10-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by gonzo@Oct 23 2004, 06:16 PM
Bad time for spammers and scammers.... hey isnt that some of that AdWare that Flop Earred Bunny was bragging his system did?

CONCORD, N.H. - A federal judge has ordered a man known as the "Spam King" to disable so-called spyware programs that infiltrate people's computers, track their Internet use and flood them with pop-up advertising.

U.S. District Judge Joseph DiClerico issued a temporary restraining order Thursday against Stanford Wallace and his companies, SmartBot.net Inc. of Richboro, Pa., and Seismic Entertainment Productions Inc. of Rochester. SmartBot's principal place of business is Barrington.

Prosecutors sought the injunction on behalf of the Federal Trade Commission, which targeted Wallace in its first anti-spyware action.

The judge ordered Wallace to remove software code that exploits security holes in computer operating systems and Web browsers, then tracks people's Internet use to bombard them with pop-up ads.

Wallace also is accused of trying to sell computer users $30 remedies called "Spy Wiper" and "Spy Deleter" that the FTC says don't work.

full story
thats a blast from the waaaaay past

gonzo
10-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by grimm+Oct 23 2004, 11:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Oct 23 2004, 11:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@Oct 23 2004, 06:16 PM

full story
thats a blast from the waaaaay past [/b][/quote]
AP - Sat Oct 23, 9:36 PM ET

Looks recent to me....

Once a scammer always a scammer. Or did they all go to that school of creative marketing we keep hearing about?

cj
10-24-2004, 02:12 AM
HAAHAHAHHAAAHAAHA even the title of the thread gets autofilled

:biglaugh:

grimm
10-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by gonzo+Oct 23 2004, 09:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gonzo @ Oct 23 2004, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by grimm@Oct 23 2004, 11:22 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@Oct 23 2004, 06:16 PM

full story
thats a blast from the waaaaay past
AP - Sat Oct 23, 9:36 PM ET

Looks recent to me....

Once a scammer always a scammer. Or did they all go to that school of creative marketing we keep hearing about? [/b][/quote]
stamford Wallace, aka "spam king" has had so many judgements against him it is ridiulous. I think he first got the smackdown in the late 90s. i thought he was dead, personally. hes been around for at least 10 years with the spam stuff

Evil Chris
10-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Not all webmasters are stupid.

They're going to want to know how programs can pay 30-35 per trial signup now that they also know there is no way to keep a "profit margin" with exit sales and cross sales.

What will the new excuse be?

Wait, I can already hear it.... "Our shit retains forever!"

gonzo
10-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Oct 24 2004, 05:08 PM
Not all webmasters are stupid.

They're going to want to know how programs can pay 30-35 per trial signup now that they also know there is no way to keep a "profit margin" with exit sales and cross sales.

What will the new excuse be?

Wait, I can already hear it.... "Our shit retains forever!"
I know of several sites that retain forever. THey dont have a $35 per join program though! Good point Chris!

brand0n
10-24-2004, 07:59 PM
you know, im really a fat fucking no body.

*KK*
10-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by grimm@Oct 24 2004, 09:57 AM
stamford Wallace, aka "spam king" has had so many judgements against him it is ridiulous. I think he first got the smackdown in the late 90s. i thought he was dead, personally. hes been around for at least 10 years with the spam stuff
Actually he was at the Venetian Jan 03 I think it was during Internext, playing craps at a roped off reserved table. ;)

Mike AI
10-24-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by *KK*+Oct 24 2004, 08:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (*KK* @ Oct 24 2004, 08:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grimm@Oct 24 2004, 09:57 AM
Actually he was at the Venetian Jan 03 I think it was during Internext, playing craps at a roped off reserved table. ;) [/b][/quote]

That's the last I saw him as well....

Guess the "professional gambler" thing was not challenging enough.

slavdogg
10-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by gonzo@Oct 23 2004, 08:53 PM
all my customers are suckers

Mike AI
10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by slavdogg+Oct 25 2004, 05:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slavdogg @ Oct 25 2004, 05:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gonzo@Oct 23 2004, 08:53 PM
all my customers are suckers [/b][/quote]

Remind me not to buy anything from you!