PDA

View Full Version : Domain tradeshow SOLD OUT!

webfather
10-16-2004, 05:44 AM
Hey guys!!

Just figured I would tell you about a tradeshow that I am putting on next week. It is one of the most expensive shows around fetching as much as $5000 a ticket and we are going to have "Ben Stein" give our keynote address. The show is completely sold out so don't even ask for this year. We already have close to 25 on a waiting list.

I purposely never mentioned it to the adult world cuz I wanted the first year to be comprised of mainly mainstreamers. However our 2005 show will be open to everyone to attend.

Who woulda thunk in there would be a tradeshow just for domainers? It has been in the back of my head for many years just waiting for the right time. I think the interesting part is who we got as sponsors and attendees. Each one hand picked and approved to come.

I am looking to repeat Orlando 1997 in a different industry and we have a really good shot at pulling it off.

Never before will so many domainers and sponsors be at the same place at the same time. For me it is a dream come true and an event long overdue. The clicks in that room will be counted in the BILLIONS.

Tshirt and jean millionaires meeting up with "The ivory tower boys" is gonna be quite a picture.

You may not know this but some domain collections from these guys are approaching 1 MILLION domains in their portfolios. I am still struggling to hit 5000. So you can see these guys are leaving me in the dust.

Anyway, I will stop boring you and go back to my little hole. I do think we have an interesting story to tell and you can find out more at http://www.targetedtraffic.com

Imagine that, I have a site with content. lol :bwave:

Rolo
10-16-2004, 06:26 AM
Congrats Webfather - sounds like THE place to be :)

Looking at the participant list, then Pool.com, eNom.com and Network Solutions could become a interesting conversation between the 3 of them - will snapnames also be there?

Dravyk
10-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Many congrats, Rick!!

For you to be so quiet for so long, figured you had to be working on something big. :)

Mike AI
10-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Rick, congradulations.

Next time you do a shin dig like this. let us ( the guys from DirectNIC) know, we would have participated. We like to stay tight with domain guys!

webfather
10-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks Mike.

Tell your compadres at Directnic that the dates for next years show (TRAFFIC 2005) are October 19-22 in Miami Beach.

Sponsorships start at $5000 , go up to $50,000 and go on sale next Friday.

I should have told you about it in August. But I hate asking people I know to buy something that they may have no interest in. It's probably why I did not even approach the adult guys at all.

Besides, I NEVER imagined it would become this huge an event. It started as a board get together and mushroomed. We already have plans for a european counterpart show next year if this ones come off as expected.

Mike AI
10-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Rick, you are a little wrong..... DirectNIC has nothing to do with adult.

Next week, I will be making a post with some National Honors that InterCosmos Media Group has recently been awarded. ( cannot post them now because we are under an NDA until a certain date - Magazines don't want to be scooped!)

webfather
10-16-2004, 11:48 AM
I was not referring to "Directnic" being adult.

I was talking about taking advantage of my relationships within the adult world..

Sorry for the confusion. I consider Directnic a mainstream company.

Mike AI
10-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 16 2004, 10:49 AM
I was not referring to "Directnic" being adult.

I was talking about taking advantage of my relationships within the adult world..

Sorry for the confusion. I consider Directnic a mainstream company.

:D

Cool, too bad the Mayor of NO does not see it that way.

brand0n
10-16-2004, 07:22 PM
think of all the wonderfull names. id love to go to this kinda show.

Mike AI
10-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by brand0n@Oct 16 2004, 06:23 PM
think of all the wonderfull names. id love to go to this kinda show.

With the portfolio you have, you should be there!

brand0n
10-16-2004, 07:35 PM
belive you me, id love to make something like this. hell i was unaware that he had even put something like this together.

if hes going to allow anyone to show up next year, you can count that ill be there along with a few others from here im sure.

MissEve
10-17-2004, 03:18 AM
Hi Rick! Congrats on the show. LMK if you want to buy targettraffic.com, lol ;)

webfather
10-17-2004, 12:39 PM

You have got to be kidding?

Ouch!

Miss Eve!! How are you? Big hug!

Next year the show will be promoted in the adult arena as well. We may even have a big enough audience to have an adult version as well as a mainstream version.

Opti
10-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 18 2004, 02:40 AM
Next year the show will be promoted in the adult arena as well. We may even have a big enough audience to have an adult version as well as a mainstream version.
Is the seperation only for business reasons or to make the "mainstreamers" feel better?

Would have thought startegies, suppliers and even many sponsors would be common.. and most adult webmasters would be just as intersted in mainstream speakers.

webfather
10-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Is the seperation only for business reasons or to make the "mainstreamers" feel better?

Just seems like a better and stronger marketing strategy. Just like having one show a year here and one show in Europe. Not cuz we want to separate anyone. (But it will NEVER be in Paris) But because there is enough demand in the marketplace to do both. Time will tell and no decisions have yet been made.

And while there are a lot of similarities between adult and mainstream, there are even more differences. The main reason being mainstream deals in thousands of different industries while we just basically focus on adult. So filtering the traffic is much more complicated and since many industries have yet to embrace the net, there are still some very sparse areas. But like grass on a lawn, it eventually fills in.

Opti
10-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I read all of your site and I take that back.. you are right, there is significant differences to how I imagine you might think about adult standalone.

Also... do you personally use the Fabulous system to manage much/any of your domain traffic? I can see how useful it is for a type-in portfolio... but have never utilized it fully as I imagined it would be negative for my seo stuff.

(PM about that if you have any advice you would prefer to stay private)

RyanLanane
10-18-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 16 2004, 01:45 AM
Hey guys!!

Just figured I would tell you about a tradeshow that I am putting on next week. It is one of the most expensive shows around fetching as much as $5000 a ticket and we are going to have "Ben Stein" give our keynote address. The show is completely sold out so don't even ask for this year. We already have close to 25 on a waiting list.

I purposely never mentioned it to the adult world cuz I wanted the first year to be comprised of mainly mainstreamers. However our 2005 show will be open to everyone to attend.

Who woulda thunk in there would be a tradeshow just for domainers? It has been in the back of my head for many years just waiting for the right time. I think the interesting part is who we got as sponsors and attendees. Each one hand picked and approved to come.

I am looking to repeat Orlando 1997 in a different industry and we have a really good shot at pulling it off.

Never before will so many domainers and sponsors be at the same place at the same time. For me it is a dream come true and an event long overdue. The clicks in that room will be counted in the BILLIONS.

Tshirt and jean millionaires meeting up with "The ivory tower boys" is gonna be quite a picture.

You may not know this but some domain collections from these guys are approaching 1 MILLION domains in their portfolios. I am still struggling to hit 5000. So you can see these guys are leaving me in the dust.

Anyway, I will stop boring you and go back to my little hole. I do think we have an interesting story to tell and you can find out more at http://www.targetedtraffic.com

Rick if there was anyone who was to put on such a trade show that is worth $5,000.00 if not MORE - It would be you. 99.9% of these people have no idea who the hell I am but I was there when u made what was considered by most of us in the industry a $50,000.00 purchase that was insane!

You could let that domain go for (and I tend to under evaluate) an easy $750K in under 24 hours, wait with it being you 4 hours. On the upwards side I would have to say $1.5 million but being the state of the adult industry - tough judgement. Regardless, great buy.

We all understood your motives and saw you and your concepts all fall into places as the years went on. For those smart enough to risk even 10% of their portfolio in Rick's ideas back in the days, you are living well now. From what I hear Slavik maybe? I would guess more then 10 % as the years went on though ;)

At worst you are a visionary. I truly wish you the best and continued success... If I only had HALF the smarts then as I do now at 26, I swear... I would have 1/100th the life you do Rick ;)

All jokes aside - You honestly were the first businessman I ran into who saw and shared their opinion of a domain's value in the future and I truly believe (as all things adult led the way back then) you were most likely the first person ever who looked at domains as real estate.

God Bless the good old day's and hopefully I will relive them again at some point of time in my life ;) I probably won't read up on this board for a few months again, so if anyone wants to holler ryan1978@insightbb.com

slavdogg
10-18-2004, 05:53 AM
ryan, there is no truth to the rumors you've heard about slavik
he crashed and burned
stop spreading those nasty lies about him

everything else you said about Rick, is pretty much right on the money.. a true visionary
well other than $750k valueation mark, you must still be living in 97 when your cat pissed on your keyboard :)

RyanLanane
10-18-2004, 06:01 AM
HAHA!! Hey Slavik bro! ;)

"(and I tend to under evaluate)"

Was an understatement I assume? LOL

I don't pretend to know the adult business nowadays even... All I know is a domain of mine was dropped because someone forgot to renew it less then a week later I read about it being sold for $4,500 - That alone opened my eyes.

I was willing to sell that domain and ALOT of other shit for a cheap price not long before that total of probably 40 domains if not more, some were solid... that one i actually thought tops $500.00 you do the math on what x.com Rick bought back in the days is worth lol !! That "other crap" still generates thousands a month in revenue without touching it.. Not 1/20th what it did at it's peak - but hey, I don't touch it anymore. Someone missed an opportunity to snatch up my offer relatively cheap or someone is an idiot for paying what they did for that one domain out of all the ones I had alone .... lol!!

BTW Slavik it's 5:30 AM - getting home from a rough night? Drop me an e-mail sometime would love to BS about business in general with you.

Bishop
10-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Very cool.. I just took a look at the site and one of the sponsors caught my eye. Erealestate.com - Rick I see that its yours.. classic.. I remember probably 4-5 years ago you got into a piss on a mainstream realtry board about whether domains constituted realestate. You and Serge kept posting threads and the board admin kept deleting them saying you where off topic.. that went on all night.. hahah.. now I see you have a site dedicated to both online and offline realestate. That is excellent.

dantheman
10-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Rick to see you around and even better to see what you have been up too.
Good luck(as if you need it:) in the future and I'm going to be looking at trying to make next years show. Gota keep m3server.com in the mix :)

:okthumb:

webfather
10-24-2004, 07:12 AM
Just thought I would post some of the stories about Traffic 2004. It was a huge success and we will announce the venue for 2005 next week. The 2006 show will be in San Francisco.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pal...=sfla-news-palm (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-pdomain22oct22,0,2962119.story?coll=sfla-news-palm)

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day1.htm

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day2.htm

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day3.htm

grimm
10-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 17 2004, 08:40 AM

You have got to be kidding?

Ouch!

Miss Eve!! How are you? Big hug!

no he doesnt like us so much:)

gonzo
10-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by brand0n@Oct 16 2004, 06:36 PM
belive you me, id love to make something like this. hell i was unaware that he had even put something like this together.

if hes going to allow anyone to show up next year, you can count that ill be there along with a few others from here im sure.
I thought this was the old folks home?

I know thats what you said over with all the kiddies on GFY.

Or were you trying to look cool?

JFK
10-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 24 2004, 03:13 AM
Just thought I would post some of the stories about Traffic 2004. It was a huge success and we will announce the venue for 2005 next week. The 2006 show will be in San Francisco.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pal...=sfla-news-palm (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/palmbeach/sfl-pdomain22oct22,0,2962119.story?coll=sfla-news-palm)

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day1.htm

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day2.htm

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/traffic2004-day3.htm
Nice write ups !

Mike AI
10-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Congradulations Rick!!

slavdogg
10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Mike AI, you should have crashed the party

Mike AI
10-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by slavdogg@Oct 25 2004, 07:13 PM

I had prior plans, but I will definately make the next one. I am sure Rick will give me the special "Webfather" discount!! I will even wear a t-shirt wth his picture airbrushed on it!!

:okthumb:

cj
10-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 17 2004, 02:43 PM
And while there are a lot of similarities between adult and mainstream, there are even more differences. The main reason being mainstream deals in thousands of different industries while we just basically focus on adult. So filtering the traffic is much more complicated and since many industries have yet to embrace the net, there are still some very sparse areas. But like grass on a lawn, it eventually fills in.
This is a key point for those of us still left battling it out in adult ...

We talk about 2 niches - adult & mainstream ... but adult is a very small and insignificant area of business overall - but with a business model and principals that can be applied to any mainstream 'niche'.

If you take the XXX out of adult entertainment, its a mainstream niche .... "NAUGHTY"

Dravyk
10-26-2004, 12:56 AM
You should write an article on that CJ!

... Of course, I'm not sure where. :awinky:

webfather
10-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I will even wear a t-shirt wth his picture airbrushed on it!!

Mike,

I'll have to dust that baby off and age myself about 7 years.

Thanks!! It was a labor of love for sure.

brand0n
10-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by gonzo+Oct 24 2004, 11:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gonzo @ Oct 24 2004, 11:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brand0n@Oct 16 2004, 06:36 PM

I thought this was the old folks home?

I know thats what you said over with all the kiddies on GFY.

Or were you trying to look cool? [/b][/quote]
i was trying to look cool

RyanLanane
05-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by slavdogg@Oct 25 2004, 04:13 PM

wrong place.. edited post

RyanLanane
05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Oops that was supposed to be a PM, lol

grimm
05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by webfather@Oct 16 2004, 01:45 AM
Hey guys!!

congrats webfather, who knew there'd be money in domains;)

and you don't have to quote the name Ben Stein, its his real name :P

congrats on your tradeshow man, good work!

grimm
05-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Oct 25 2004, 05:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Oct 25 2004, 05:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-slavdogg@Oct 25 2004, 07:13 PM

I had prior plans, but I will definately make the next one. I am sure Rick will give me the special "Webfather" discount!! I will even wear a t-shirt wth his picture airbrushed on it!!

:okthumb: [/b][/quote]
this one would have to be a sportscoat with his head airbrushed on the back of it:)

grimm
05-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by RyanLanane@May 15 2005, 09:12 AM
haha you bumped the thread, asshole. now we posted 6 months too late. :)

Trev
05-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I can fix that for a small fee :groucho:

RyanLanane
05-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by grimm+May 15 2005, 11:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ May 15 2005, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RyanLanane@May 15 2005, 09:12 AM
haha you bumped the thread, asshole. now we posted 6 months too late. :) [/b][/quote]

And I thoguht i was the dumbass... You just carried on forever there Grimmy Boy

:nyanya: :nyanya: :nyanya: :nyanya: