PDA

View Full Version : Sare, I didn't forget about you

Winetalk.com
09-30-2004, 05:23 PM
http://www.avalon-tours.com/News/news97_6.html

Wasn't the Phylloxera present in the vines that went over there?
No, because the Phylloxera didn't exist in Europe before the vines came over in the late 1800's from California. The American vines are actually the resident host of this parasite - the carrier - and when the first vines arrived in Europe they brought the parasite with them. The French vines, Vinis Vinifera, are not resistant, and that's why the only solution was to graft the French vines onto the American rootstock which could survive the Phylloxera.

Were vines grafted in France before this?
No, vines were always propagated by cuttings before this - not only here but all over the world.

Why were the vines first brought over here from California?
I don't know; I suppose because someone wanted to try something new, to experiment, to see what would happen.

;-))

sarettah
09-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanx

Interesting read. I have not had a chance to go look up anything on it yet :)

So, the French (although he was in no way whiny about it or anything) basically blame the Americans for the blight (or at least he American Vines) and most of the time I remember hearing it from Americans was in some context of "we saved the French wine industry"....

Lololol... Sounds almost like politics to me :yowsa:

Winetalk.com
09-30-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Sep 30 2004, 06:16 PM
Thanx

Interesting read. I have not had a chance to go look up anything on it yet :)

So, the French (although he was in no way whiny about it or anything) basically blame the Americans for the blight (or at least he American Vines) and most of the time I remember hearing it from Americans was in some context of "we saved the French wine industry"....

Lololol... Sounds almost like politics to me :yowsa:
Sare,
they saved it from the lice THEY brought to France by providing lice resistant roots for grafting
;-)))

it's like me hitting you in the head with baseball bat, driving you to emergency and claim that I saved your life!
;-0)))

sarettah
09-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Sep 30 2004, 06:20 PM
driving you to emergency
You'd drive me to emergency ??

You like me, you really like me :yowsa: