PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Montreal

Evil Chris
09-30-2004, 12:43 PM
The Montreal Expos played their last home game yesterday to their biggest crowd in years (approx 31,000).

The game was delayed several times because some people were throwing golf balls and soft drinks onto the field.

I'm sad about this. But Montreal just never was a baseball city. In any case, they were the best team in baseball in 1994 just prior to the strike. I believe they could have gone all the way to the World Series.

The franchise will be in DC next year. I wish them good success with the team.

heshy
09-30-2004, 12:53 PM
The expos have done a great job drafting its own talent probably better than most teams. They just don't ever have the money to keep ther own players. Pedro Martinez, Javier Vazquez, Pedro Guerro, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Tim Raines, Bartolo Colon. They have produced some of the best players throughout the entire MLB. But they always averaged more fans at away games than home games. Canada is for Hocket and really should just stickt o that. I don't think Toronto does that great with Baseball or Basketball either. DC is very lucky to get them and I wouls take the present Expos over are LOUSY PHILLIES anyday.

h

Mike AI
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Baseball should never have left DC.

CDSmith
09-30-2004, 02:00 PM
I caught a few games at Jerry Park with my dad back in '76 during the Olympics. For many years before the Bluejays were even conceived of, the Expos were very much "Canada's team."

They will be missed.

Evil Chris
09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 30 2004, 01:36 PM
Baseball should never have left DC.
What do you base that on? I don't know the story of why they lost their team in the first place, so some cliffnotes on the subject would be interesting.

Pro sports need to face facts. Interest is down, salaries and ticket prices are way up and many markets are in trouble (although most troubled teams are in denial about it). I believe Montreal won't be the last to lose their team in the very near future.

Evil Chris
09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by CDSmith@Sep 30 2004, 02:01 PM
I caught a few games at Jerry Park with my dad back in '76 during the Olympics. For many years before the Bluejays were even conceived of, the Expos were very much "Canada's team."

They will be missed.
Parc Jarry (http://www.ebaseballparks.com/jarry.html) is now called Uniprix Stadium (formerly Stade DuMaurier), and has been the home of Tennis Canada (http://www.tenniscanada.com/tc_splash.asp) for many years now.

I used to attend the tennis final every year, but I'm not so much into that sport since most of my favourite players have retired.

DrGuile
09-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by heshy@Sep 30 2004, 11:54 AM
Pedro Martinez, Javier Vazquez, Pedro Guerro, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Tim Raines, Bartolo Colon.
I assume you mean Vladimir Guerrero.
Also, Bartolo Colon isnt a montreal product, he played here like 4 months.

Also, to add to you list:

Mark Grudzelanek, Marquis Grissom, Segui, Mike Lansing, Kirk Rueter, Ken Hill, Ugeth Urbina, Jeff Fassero, John Wetland (spelling is wrong, the closer)

slavdogg
09-30-2004, 07:04 PM
i remember the 94 Expos, i used to watch em that was a good team.
Strike fucked everything up. That was also the year Matt Williams would have broken the homerun record. Sadily this fact will be forgoten by history.

A's might be the next team to move. Hopefully not too far otherwise i'm gonna have to start watching the Giants.

The expos have done a great job drafting its own talent probably better than most teams. They just don't ever have the money to keep ther own players.
Thats how the A's are now days. We lost 2 MVP players in the last few years Giambi and Tejara.