PDA

View Full Version : Serge, for all of our benefit.....

pushpills
09-29-2004, 12:09 AM
how about a list of 15-30 dollar reds/whites that you think are high quality.

I could use some more tips, and now I can order online and have an I.D. that matches my credit card. How about it, 5-10 of red and 5-10 of white?

:groucho:

CDSmith
09-29-2004, 05:04 AM
I always take the blue pill.

Never fails.

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I know nothing about whites....MikeW is your man
(except that I'd rather have white on Air France than their Reds ;-)

do you know which wine goes with which food?

give me the list of your favorit foods and I'll match it with wines
;-)))

pushpills
09-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Sep 29 2004, 04:13 AM
I know nothing about whites....MikeW is your man
(except that I'd rather have white on Air France than their Reds ;-)

do you know which wine goes with which food?

give me the list of your favorit foods and I'll match it with wines
;-)))
mike, yes I know reds with meat whites with fish, but thats about as far as it goes.

I like eating steak alot, swordfish and salmon.

What about just red wine to drink at any time?

Think of a few cases of reasonably priced wine that you thought was more then reasonable tasting..

I know you gave me a short list at one time but i dont know where it is...

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 03:56 PM
ok...
for every day, no heavy foods, or even with fish, asian foods, I rec
Ironstone 2001 Merlot $8 a bottle
with steak:
Ironstone 1999 Cabernet Reserve $21 a bottle.
If you like more tanins - try Borolos (Italy, Piedmont, 1998 or older) $30-50 a bottle
or Spanish Priorat region (2001 or older) $25-$35 a bottle

The list I gave you before is no longer valid, as the years suggested are no longer available in the stores.

pushpills
09-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Sep 29 2004, 01:57 PM
ok...
for every day, no heavy foods, or even with fish, asian foods, I rec
Ironstone 2001 Merlot $8 a bottle
with steak:
Ironstone 1999 Cabernet Reserve $21 a bottle.
If you like more tanins - try Borolos (Italy, Piedmont, 1998 or older) $30-50 a bottle
or Spanish Priorat region (2001 or older) $25-$35 a bottle

The list I gave you before is no longer valid, as the years suggested are no longer available in the stores.
I'm on it, thanks serge! :)

sarettah
09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
:)

The Gundlach Bundschu 2002 Merlot is out now too...

https://wineclub.vineburgwine.com/wca/wcars...nd+New+Releases (https://wineclub.vineburgwine.com/wca/wcarstore.nsf/retpage4?ReadForm&View=RetWineView&Cat=Specials+and+New+Releases)

and the 2001 is still available (this is going to be a great wine i think)

https://wineclub.vineburgwine.com/wca/wcars...w&Cat=Red+Wines (https://wineclub.vineburgwine.com/wca/wcarstore.nsf/retpage4?ReadForm&View=RetWineView&Cat=Red+Wines)

and the '93 should be just about perfect right now:

https://wineclub.vineburgwine.com/wca/wcars...t=Library+Picks (https://wineclub.vineburgwine.com/wca/wcarstore.nsf/retpage4?ReadForm&View=RetWineView&Cat=Library+Picks)

But I am prejudiced to the Sonoma Wines and GB in particular. :)

pushpills
09-29-2004, 05:28 PM
I'll check those out too! :awinky:

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Sare, I think this is a crock of shit:
1987 Cabernet Sauvignon, Rhinefarm Vineyard
Retail Price: $50.00
This is the granddaddy of this year's offerings. I for one did not witness the harvest of 1987. But I can tell you this wine was one of the most underrated of the decade, and more often than not outshined the more renowned 85 and 86 vintages in terms of balance, fruit intensity and vineyard expression. Now in its 15th year, think ruby red color, and a nose of wet peat moss covered earth. As for the mouthfeel, I say night dark, semi-sweet, coffee flaked chocolate, infused by only slightly sweet, aged plums and raspberries. The integration of the fruit and tannins are downright dazzling.

I doubt that American reds are good for 17 years.....

Nickatilynx
09-29-2004, 07:23 PM
absinthe..

"" Its green , it taste like shit , but it'll get you pissed""

goes with any food....comes back with it too , "Exorsist" style.

;-)))

pushpills
09-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 29 2004, 05:24 PM
absinthe..

"" Its green , it taste like shit , but it'll get you pissed""

goes with any food....comes back with it too , "Exorsist" style.

;-)))
I thought you were going to let me get a bottle off ya.

Nickatilynx
09-29-2004, 07:28 PM
We had a shipment seized by US customs...seriously LOL

sarettah
09-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Sep 29 2004, 04:56 PM
This is the granddaddy of this year's offerings. I for one did not witness the harvest of 1987. But I can tell you this wine was one of the most underrated of the decade, and more often than not outshined the more renowned 85 and 86 vintages in terms of balance, fruit intensity and vineyard expression. Now in its 15th year, think ruby red color, and a nose of wet peat moss covered earth. As for the mouthfeel, I say night dark, semi-sweet, coffee flaked chocolate, infused by only slightly sweet, aged plums and raspberries. The integration of the fruit and tannins are downright dazzling.

It might last if it was stored real real careful and turned on schedule but probably not.

However, the Cali vineyards were originally planted from old country cuttings. Then later (can't remember if it was early 20th century or late 19th) when the French vineyards were wiped out they were replanted with cuttings from Cali, so in essence the grapes are the same and the soil is quite similar, so it really comes down to the winemaker and the way the product is handled.

In this case, I think it is a marketing thing, they are stuck with it and if they can move it they will :yowsa: I don't remember if '87 was a good year for the Cali Merlot or not off the top of my head.

pushpills
09-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 29 2004, 05:29 PM
that sucks man. what site did you order it from?

sarettah
09-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Shit, I just realized that '87 was the year I was out there for the stomp. lololol. Nope probably not a great year if I was involved in harvesting it :yowsa:

After I reread the description my brain clicked and I realizzed that, if I remember right, '85 was a great year, 86 was pretty good and '87 sucked.

sarettah
09-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 29 2004, 06:29 PM
You should drive it on down :)

Play some golf while you're at it :okthumb:

sarettah
09-29-2004, 07:40 PM
lololol... damn i hate when my brain does'nt work. I just realized that you had the Cabernet up there. Never looked at the first line, just went for the description.

Still 87 was not a great year on Cali reds. But, a Cabernet might last 15-20 years. Probably peak at the 10-12 mark though.

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Sep 29 2004, 06:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Sep 29 2004, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Serge_Oprano@Sep 29 2004, 04:56 PM

It might last if it was stored real real careful and turned on schedule but probably not.

However, the Cali vineyards were originally planted from old country cuttings. Then later (can't remember if it was early 20th century or late 19th) when the French vineyards were wiped out they were replanted with cuttings from Cali, so in essence the grapes are the same and the soil is quite similar, so it really comes down to the winemaker and the way the product is handled.

In this case, I think it is a marketing thing, they are stuck with it and if they can move it they will :yowsa: I don't remember if '87 was a good year for the Cali Merlot or not off the top of my head. [/b][/quote]
you are incorrect on your French/American trivia
;-)

I was mistaken as well, 'till I read the book from KISS,
Guide to Wines
http://www.dk.com

wanna 1 bottle bet that you are WRONG about the way it happens?

I'll tell you more and give you clue:
all FRENCH wines have...American roots!
;-)))

Nickatilynx
09-29-2004, 10:14 PM
ahhhhh yes,,,,,I know that one too ;)

grafting

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 29 2004, 09:15 PM

grafting
B I N G O !!!!!
;-)))

cj
09-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 29 2004, 06:29 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
you should have had a 2nd shipment come in right after

they would all be too pissed to notice :biglaugh:

pushpills
09-29-2004, 10:38 PM
nick, can you url me for the green stuff?

Nickatilynx
09-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I bought it here myself.

You can get it here in Canada ,eh.

I hear the Pope drinks it. Thats why they have to carry him round in a chair ;-)))

sarettah
09-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Sep 29 2004, 09:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Sep 29 2004, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Sep 29 2004, 09:15 PM

grafting
B I N G O !!!!!
;-))) [/b][/quote]
Well, thats what I think I meant by "cuttings". But replanting was not the proper way to say it. And no, I am not gonna bet...lolol.

But I will have to go look and see what the whole story is. I knew for sure that the French got wiped out as some point and Cali saved their vineyards in some fashion and therefore it had gone full cycle but I will have to gop find out if the original cali vineyards were created by cuttings from France and so forth.

Like I said a while back..lolol... It has been a long long time since I have paid attention to all of it. Lots of info to retain, kind of like following and understanding the stock market etc.

:)

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Sep 29 2004, 10:11 PM
I knew for sure that the French got wiped out as some point and Cali saved their vineyards in some fashion and therefore it had gone full cycle but I will have to gop find out if the original cali vineyards were created by cuttings from France and so forth.

French were wiped out because grapes from America were brought to France!
;-))

French were saved by grafting French grapes to..American roots.

I'm sure you'll find the entire story somewhere on Google
;-)))

Hell Puppy
09-30-2004, 01:24 AM
Try it Fat Fucking Nobody style some day.

You have southern wine with your meal (sweet iced tea) and then a tasty muscat or ice wine for dessert.

We have several we can recommend in the $10-20 range. Nivoli is the current favorite and only $11 or so a bottle.

Red wines make me contort my face even more so than GonZo's farts.