PDA

View Full Version : I just seen the BEST movie of the last 2 years

Winetalk.com
09-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Dogville

what a MARVELOUS movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SykkBoy
09-25-2004, 01:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to that flick

I loved his other stuff, especially "Dancer In The Dark"
You might also like "Breaking The Waves" that I didn't care for the first time I watched it, but has grown on me....

Lars Von Trier can get a little artsy fartsy, but he tells some amazing stories and forces you to live them...

Rolo
09-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Yeah, Lars Von Trier can be strange, but he will sure leave an impression... Beside his recents movies, then I really enjoyed "Kingdom I+II" (danish version), and "The Idiots" (also in danish). Stephen King bought the rights to "Kingdom", and its showing it on ABC as "Kingdom Hospital", but what I have seen of it, then I enjoyed the orginal version by Lars Von Trier more than Stephen King´s.

Since we are on the topic of movies, then The Downfall (Der Untergang) looks promising - it tries to portray a more three-dimensional Adolf Hitler in his last 12 days.

Der Untergang Website (http://www.deruntergang-special.film.de/) (in german) - Der Untergang Trailer (http://www.constantin-trailer.de/trailer/html/show_w.php?titel=DerUntergang&pfad=wmv&size=gr&site=untergang&trailer=) (in german)

Winetalk.com
09-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Sep 25 2004, 12:46 AM
I'm really looking forward to that flick

I loved his other stuff, especially "Dancer In The Dark"
You might also like "Breaking The Waves" that I didn't care for the first time I watched it, but has grown on me....

Lars Von Trier can get a little artsy fartsy, but he tells some amazing stories and forces you to live them...
I started watching Breaking the Waves 2 years ago and couldn't finish it,
gotta revisit it now.

he IS very "out of the box" director

Peaches
09-25-2004, 08:35 AM
OK, Serge, it hasn't gotten very good reviews, but I'm putting it on Netflix under your recommendation ;)

Winetalk.com
09-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Sep 25 2004, 07:36 AM
OK, Serge, it hasn't gotten very good reviews, but I'm putting it on Netflix under your recommendation ;)
really?
http://www.all-reviews.com/videos-5/dogville.htm

something I'd say myself:
"No other film in past few years can stand up Von Trier's success in putting across a vision in such a powerful, entertaining way. Not "The Lord of the Rings" (the highly over- praised victory of soulless technology over meaningful story- telling), not even my favorite from 2003, "American Splendor" (as creative as anything else turned out that year, but without the political, philosophical and moral strength of "Dogville"). To my mind, given the film's universal vision, solid performances, lyrical narration and appropriately baroque musical background, "Dogville" has earned the title of masterwork."

Jesse_DD
09-25-2004, 03:55 PM
funny - my wife and i rented 3 movies a few weeks back and that was the one we didn't get a chance to see. I'll have to re-rent it.

Dianna Vesta
09-27-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Sep 25 2004, 07:36 AM
I don't know how well Netflix works for you but when I tired it I would get a movie then wait, get a movie then wait...meanwhile they would get mine back in a day. It's a great idea but I'd rather be able to rent like 4 movies then send them back and get four more.

I cancelled. Any other services like that?

DV

Peaches
09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta+Sep 27 2004, 06:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dianna Vesta @ Sep 27 2004, 06:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Sep 25 2004, 07:36 AM
I don't know how well Netflix works for you but when I tired it I would get a movie then wait, get a movie then wait...meanwhile they would get mine back in a day. It's a great idea but I'd rather be able to rent like 4 movies then send them back and get four more.

DV [/b][/quote]
I've been using them for almost 5 years and I'm quite happy with the turn around time :)

SykkBoy
09-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta+Sep 27 2004, 05:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dianna Vesta @ Sep 27 2004, 05:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Sep 25 2004, 07:36 AM

DV [/b][/quote]
how long ago was this?
they've recently opened a bunch more distribution centers around the country

I cancelled them for awhile as I was just working too much and didn't have enough time to watch enough movies to make it worth while, but I plan on getting a membership again (especially since they recently opened a distribution center here so I should get everything the next day....)

Meat
09-28-2004, 06:20 AM
must be somethign wrong with me, i watched 5 mins of this and couldnt get into it:(

is it worth me trying again?

i bought the dvd but havent bothered to give it a second chance

Winetalk.com
09-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Meat@Sep 28 2004, 05:21 AM
must be somethign wrong with me, i watched 5 mins of this and couldnt get into it:(

is it worth me trying again?

i bought the dvd but havent bothered to give it a second chance
Meat,
it takes 20 mins to fall in love with this one,
try again
;_)))

Meat
09-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Ok ya sold me, it gets a scond viewing, i must have switched it off just before it got its rythem.

I thoguh it was starnge cos i bought it cos of the great reviews it had

Winetalk.com
09-28-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Meat@Sep 28 2004, 05:29 AM
Ok ya sold me, it gets a scond viewing, i must have switched it off just before it got its rythem.

I thoguh it was starnge cos i bought it cos of the great reviews it had
Meat, some movie are simple, some require some thought process to be engaged, this one is one of those.

Meat
09-28-2004, 06:40 AM
since i gave up smoking pot my thought process works much better:)

Naughty
09-28-2004, 07:30 AM
I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" the other day. Pretty good too.

It got one of the best ratings on imdb.com too, an 8.6

SykkBoy
09-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Naughty@Sep 28 2004, 06:31 AM

another of my top ten of this year
Charlie Kaufman is an amazing writer
he has a quirky sense of humor without being pretentious

Winetalk.com
09-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+Sep 28 2004, 10:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ Sep 28 2004, 10:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Naughty@Sep 28 2004, 06:31 AM

he has a quirky sense of humor without being pretentious [/b][/quote]
this one is next on my agenda...

Groove
09-29-2004, 10:40 AM
I saw Dogville on DVD a couple of weeks ago and liked it a lot. :okthumb:

It was more like a play than a movie though.

Winetalk.com
09-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Groove@Sep 29 2004, 09:41 AM
I saw Dogville on DVD a couple of weeks ago and liked it a lot. :okthumb:

It was more like a play than a movie though.
...and that was one of the beauty's of it!

OldJeff
10-03-2004, 06:54 AM
We watched it last night.

Must Agree Serge, absolutely fantastic.

Do not want to give anything away but a great display of human nature.

Also the special effects are unbelivable :rolleyes:

Winetalk.com
10-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Oct 3 2004, 05:55 AM

Do not want to give anything away but a great display of human nature.

"It's too much work in town where nobody wants anything done"

Nickatilynx
10-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy+Sep 28 2004, 07:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SykkBoy @ Sep 28 2004, 07:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Naughty@Sep 28 2004, 06:31 AM

he has a quirky sense of humor without being pretentious [/b][/quote]
unlike yourself !!! ahahahahahahahahaha

"Prentious!! Moi? "

ahahahahaha

SykkBoy
10-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Oct 3 2004, 12:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Oct 3 2004, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by SykkBoy@Sep 28 2004, 07:25 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Naughty@Sep 28 2004, 06:31 AM

he has a quirky sense of humor without being pretentious
unlike yourself !!! ahahahahahahahahaha

"Prentious!! Moi? "

ahahahahaha [/b][/quote]
hey, I'm not THAT pretentious ;-)

Dogville was an amazing flick
I love stuff like this that isn't the same old crap Hollywood churns out...
I'm also a huge fan of Von Trier and his dogme films (warning: they are "artistic" movies and will generally not be enjoyed by children or wives who watch Julia Roberts movies ;-))

wait til you guys get a read of the new screenlay I'm working on...not pretentious at all, but unlike anything else I've seen ;-)

sadly, the last great idea I had, a zombie movie set in a German bunker during world war II has already been done...

Almighty Colin
10-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Serge, thanks. I bought this on your recommendation and it turned out to be one of my favorite movies ever.