PDA

View Full Version : Canada / USA Rivalry

Evil Chris
09-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Anyone catch the game last night?

Damn! I thought I was watching game seven of the Stanley Cup final. Rough and tumble game with several good scraps and a lot of open ice plays. Hell, even Mario Lemieux got mixed up in it.

Being the hockey fan I am, I found myself cheering for both sides at times.
Shaping up to be a great World Cup of Hockey.

Mike AI
09-01-2004, 11:09 AM
Who won? I did not realize the games would be so exciting.

DrGuile
09-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 1 2004, 10:10 AM
Who won? I did not realize the games would be so exciting.
Canada 2-1

of course

:agrin:

Evil Chris
09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Best source for your hockey news:
http://www.tsn.ca/

Czech Republic plays Sweden at 1pm today.
I'll get to see Mats Sundin score a few goals. :)

Canada plays the Slovaks tonight, and the US will be playing Russia tomorrow. And that will be a good game to watch.

Mike AI
09-01-2004, 11:20 AM
I have read the reason NHL keeps the hockey rink small, is that it benefits Canadian players who are not as fast, or talented as European/Russians. So to keep Canadians happy the NHL keeps rink small, allows holding, and all the other things that slows games down - makes them low scoring.

Is this true?

DrGuile
09-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 1 2004, 10:21 AM
I have read the reason NHL keeps the hockey rink small, is that it benefits Canadian players who are not as fast, or talented as European/Russians. So to keep Canadians happy the NHL keeps rink small, allows holding, and all the other things that slows games down - makes them low scoring.

Is this true?
lol, is that why the NFL fields are smaller than in the CFL? Because the player are less talented, not as fast?

Canadians seemed plenty fast last night, or at the last olympics...

Evil Chris
09-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I've never heard about rink size factoring in on anything to do with talent.
Where did you read that Mike?

Mike AI
09-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Sep 1 2004, 10:43 AM

It was an article during the NHL playoffs. People were complaining about all the holding, and grabbing - I think from the Philly players.

Are the rinks in Europe larger then NHL rinks?

Evil Chris
09-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Sep 1 2004, 11:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Sep 1 2004, 11:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 1 2004, 10:43 AM

It was an article during the NHL playoffs. People were complaining about all the holding, and grabbing - I think from the Philly players.

Are the rinks in Europe larger then NHL rinks? [/b][/quote]
Because they play on Bobby Clarke's team, the Flyers need an excuse for a lot of things. LOL

But to answer your question, European rinks are 15 feet wider than NHL rinks.

European leagues also do not play with a red line, so that takes away the 2 line offside play stoppage and leads to more of a breakout game.

Dravyk
09-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Sep 1 2004, 01:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Sep 1 2004, 01:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 1 2004, 11:47 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 1 2004, 10:43 AM

Are the rinks in Europe larger then NHL rinks?
Because they play on Bobby Clarke's team, the Flyers need an excuse for a lot of things. LOL [/b][/quote]
Leave my damned Flyers alone! :ph34r:

There's a reason we were called the Broad St. Bullies in the 70s! Time for a revival, methinks. :groucho:

Evil Chris
09-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Well Canada won a fairly easy one last night against the Slovaks.
Swedes are looking really strong as well. I'm predicting a Canada/Sweden final.

The US/Russia game tonight should rock!

Evil Chris
09-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Mike are you still watching? Or did you give up?

This is some of the best international hockey I have seen in a long time.

Your two Tampa boys are leading in scoring too. St. Louis and Lecavalier. :awinky:

grimm
09-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Sep 1 2004, 05:58 AM
Anyone catch the game last night?

Damn! I thought I was watching game seven of the Stanley Cup final. Rough and tumble game with several good scraps and a lot of open ice plays. Hell, even Mario Lemieux got mixed up in it.

Being the hockey fan I am, I found myself cheering for both sides at times.
Shaping up to be a great World Cup of Hockey.
i didint know there was one

:grrr:

Mike AI
09-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Sep 5 2004, 08:56 AM

Your two Tampa boys are leading in scoring too. St. Louis and Lecavalier. :awinky:

Glad the Lightning guys are performing so well!

I have had some other issues to deal with - like a few hurricanes...

Plus its FOOTBALL season now!! :rokk:

Evil Chris
09-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Sep 7 2004, 03:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Sep 7 2004, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 5 2004, 08:56 AM

Plus its FOOTBALL season now!! :rokk: [/b][/quote]
I know Football season is upon us.... Go Colts!

But nevertheless... there is more than one flavour at Baskin Robbins you know.

Mike AI
09-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Sep 8 2004, 10:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Sep 8 2004, 10:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 7 2004, 03:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 5 2004, 08:56 AM

Plus its FOOTBALL season now!! :rokk:
I know Football season is upon us.... Go Colts!

But nevertheless... there is more than one flavour at Baskin Robbins you know. [/b][/quote]

I watched some of the game last night.

USA did good. That one guy had a masterful game.

Always good to beat the Russians!

:P

Opti
09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Sep 9 2004, 02:09 AM
Always good to beat the Russians!
Yeah, that's what sports need.. a bit more cold war style super power rivalry.. there just didn't seem to be the same passion from the US to beat Russia in the Olympic medal tally this time around to me.. which made it less exciting somehow I thought. China/US rivalry will be more intense by Beijing hopefully :ph34r:

Is winning this as big a deal as the Olympic gold for you CA guys? Who usually wins this Hockey World Cup?... was a high point of the last winter Olympics for me seeing how bonkers most Canadians went at the time eh. :-)

Evil Chris
09-08-2004, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't personally say the WCH is any more prestigious than the Olympics or vice versa.

Any hockey that involves the Canadian National team is exciting.
Maybe none more than the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and Russia.
This is a pretty good site for that: http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/content.htm

Here's some history of the WCH too:
http://wch2004.com/history/index.html

Nickatilynx
09-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Mike even in sports you are so gung ho USA lol!!!!!

Q :Whats the difference between a United States obessed patriot and a fundamental muslim?

A: Geography.

;-)))

Imho All extremists should be taken out an shot!!

;-)))

Opti
09-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 9 2004, 03:29 AM

;-)))
Thats a pretty extreme reaction nick ;-)

Nickatilynx
09-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Opti+Sep 8 2004, 09:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Opti @ Sep 8 2004, 09:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nickatilynx@Sep 9 2004, 03:29 AM

;-)))
Thats a pretty extreme reaction nick ;-) [/b][/quote]
;)

Opti
09-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Sep 9 2004, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't personally say the WCH is any more prestigious than the Olympics or vice versa.

This is a pretty good site for that: http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/content.htm

I think I am getting from that, that historically Canada and Russia have been dominant in world tournaments with Canada on top until the first WHC was held in 1996 which the USA won?

And this is the second time the WHC has been held?

LOL... that sounds like a recipe for some intense Canadian interest if I got it right!

DrGuile
09-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Opti+Sep 8 2004, 12:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Opti @ Sep 8 2004, 12:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 9 2004, 03:19 AM

I think I am getting from that, that historically Canada and Russia have been dominant in world tournaments with Canada on top until the first WHC was held in 1996 which the USA won?

LOL... that sounds like a recipe for some intense Canadian interest if I got it right! [/b][/quote]
For canadians, loosing at hockey is unthinkable.... like USA loosing at basketball!

Evil Chris
09-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Opti+Sep 8 2004, 01:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Opti @ Sep 8 2004, 01:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 9 2004, 03:19 AM

LOL... that sounds like a recipe for some intense Canadian interest if I got it right! [/b][/quote]
Well not exactly. It's only been called the "World Cup of Hockey" since 1996. Prior to that it was called the "Canada Cup". I like the new name better, as it's less presumptuous.

The 1972 Canada/Russia Summit Series was definitely the most important international hockey tournament (in the eyes of Canadians) since the game of ice hockey was conceived.

Nickatilynx
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+Sep 8 2004, 10:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ Sep 8 2004, 10:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Opti@Sep 8 2004, 12:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Evil Chris@Sep 9 2004, 03:19 AM

LOL... that sounds like a recipe for some intense Canadian interest if I got it right!
For canadians, loosing at hockey is unthinkable.... like USA loosing at basketball!

:agrin: [/b][/quote]
:burn: Awesome burn!!!!

Evil Chris
09-08-2004, 04:03 PM
I just happend upon this at the CBC archives.
Very good stuff, have a look!

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-41-318/sports/summit_series/

Mike AI
09-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Sep 8 2004, 12:29 PM
Mike even in sports you are so gung ho USA lol!!!!!

Q :Whats the difference between a United States obessed patriot and a fundamental muslim?

A: Geography.

;-)))

;-)))

I will save the moral relativism for you Nick!

I respect your consitency.