PDA

View Full Version : just watched the el mariachi trilogy

eatapeach
08-22-2004, 06:50 PM
i'm not a big fan of westerns or action movies, but i read robert rodriguez' book "rebel without a crew" about how he wrote and directed "el mariachi" for only $7000. the story was so good i was compelled to watch the film and it's sequels.

to say i was blown away would be an understatement. it's amazing what can be accomplished with a small budget and big ambitions. this one movie has led to a stunning career for rodriguez, and he's still only 35.

if you can't find anything cool in the new releases do yourself a favor and head over to the action films for the el mariachi trilogy.

-el mariachi
-desperado (w/ antonio banderas, selma hayek, steve buscemi, cheech marin, quentin tarantino)
-once upon a time in mexico ( w/ a.b., s.h., c.m., johnny depp, mickey rourke, willem dafoe)

:okthumb:

Peaches
08-22-2004, 06:57 PM
One of my favorite group of movies too :)
\

SykkBoy
08-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Loved the trilogy, with "Desperado" being the weakest entry for me...Johnny Depp just owned "Once Upon A Time In Mexico"

Hammer
08-22-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Aug 22 2004, 03:09 PM
Loved the trilogy, with "Desperado" being the weakest entry for me...Johnny Depp just owned "Once Upon A Time In Mexico"
Interesting, because personally I thought Desperado was a far better movie.

Rodriguez also did the score for Kill Bill 2 and there is some great stuff on the DVD, especially a couple songs done by his band.

Yug
08-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by The Hammer@Aug 22 2004, 03:34 PM
Rodriguez also did the score for Kill Bill 2 and there is some great stuff on the DVD, especially a couple songs done by his band.
Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino are great mates, to the point that Rodriguez even directed the parts in Pulp Fiction where Tarantino appears as Jimmy.

They are a good group of movies, and Im a HUGE fan of johnny Depp ... those last scenes with him in it were freakin cool ... that said, I do agree that desperado was the better movie.
:rokk:

Peaches
08-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Aug 22 2004, 07:09 PM
I agree on both counts :)