PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Someone tried to break into my house.

Sabby
08-02-2004, 07:08 AM
About 2 am we hear someone trying to open the back patio doors which were locked.

The dog barked and some guy ran away and took off in a white car.

Scary.

Sabby:)

Mike AI
08-02-2004, 11:00 AM
That is scary. Time to invest in a shotgun!

Evil Chris
08-02-2004, 11:18 AM
No need for a gun... your dog did it's job Sabby.

RawAlex
08-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Mike, such an american response!

Be careful Sabby... maybe security cameras? Motion detection lighting that turns on when people move in the back yard?

Alex

SykkBoy
08-02-2004, 11:29 AM
Canadians can't be trusted with guns Mike :-)

on a serious note Sabby, invest in a good motion detector lighting system as Alex mentioned....we have one and 'm not sure how effective it is against break-ins, but it got rid of our neighborhood dog problem (because my shotgun would have made a hell of a mess)

Mike AI
08-02-2004, 11:32 AM
HAHA Alex, it was a joke. Don't be stereotyping us Americans!

It is nice though to live in a country where I can defend my house, and my family with a firearm if I choose too.

Funny to see the Canadiens get all worked up over guns....

Rolo
08-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Sabby - get some signs, which can been seen when the motion detection lighting turns on - something which shows a very aggressive dog, and/or clearly says that the house is monitored etc.

I have video surveillance, two german shepherds and a baseballbat - they work for now - donīt think I will need to upgrade too a shootgun, yet :awinky:

Jesse_DD
08-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Sorry to hear that...

Fuck motion detectors, opt for landmines! Of course they are only active at night so you don't blow yourself up during the day.

Bishop
08-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Scary.. glad they didn't get in Sabby.

Motion lights are a good idea.. bigger dog is a good idea.. shotgun is also a good idea.

A few other tips I heard years ago that I always liked.. buy the biggest boots you can find, get them muddy, then leave them just outside your door. Also put $100 in cash on a table in plain sight. If you come home and its not on the table leave the house. Friends and family won't touch it. Someone breaking into the house won't be able to resist it.

Glad your ok..

VooMan
08-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Sorry to hear that Sabby. A couple of nice English Mastiffs should do the trick.

Be aware that nobody will come to your house on Halloween though... heh

SykkBoy
08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bishop@Aug 2 2004, 11:39 AM
Also put $100 in cash on a table in plain sight. If you come home and its not on the table leave the house. Friends and family won't touch it. Someone breaking into the house won't be able to resist it.

not my family....LOL

Mike AI
08-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Bishop@Aug 2 2004, 11:39 AM

Motion lights are a good idea.. bigger dog is a good idea.. shotgun is also a good idea.

A few other tips I heard years ago that I always liked.. buy the biggest boots you can find, get them muddy, then leave them just outside your door. Also put $100 in cash on a table in plain sight. If you come home and its not on the table leave the house. Friends and family won't touch it. Someone breaking into the house won't be able to resist it.

Glad your ok..

So you always keep $100 cash sitting on your table to bait burglers?

:ph34r:

kath
08-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Aug 2 2004, 10:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Aug 2 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bishop@Aug 2 2004, 11:39 AM

Glad your ok..

So you always keep $100 cash sitting on your table to bait burglers?

:ph34r: [/b][/quote]
Isn't that entrapment??? lol

Sorry to hear about your incident Sabby - that sucks. We have a good "barking dog" - I just hope nobody gets in the house. My big, scary pitbull would literally shit himself and cry in the corner... gotta protect that little candy ass! <_<

I agree - the motion detection lighting is a great investment. I would do that before anything else.

:okthumb:

Hell Puppy
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
"it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. "
--Clarence Worley

LadyMischief
08-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Oi! Anyone would have a hard time getting to our back doors.. the gates are all locked because we have a pool, and we'd be liable for anyone wandering in and drowning :) Aside from the bars, locks etc on the patio doors.

Peaches
08-02-2004, 03:46 PM
MCI sent us to a "security class" and the money on the front table was one of their suggestions. They said use a $20 bill though :awinky:

Some other ones:

Go to Goodwill or an Army Navy surplus store and buy the biggest boots you can find, cake them with mud (maybe a little blood, hehehe) and set them outside the front door.

Buy a huge dog food/water bowl and put it outside with "KILLER" written on the sides.

Get some "Guns and Ammo" and "Soldier of Fortune" magazines and put them in the dashboard of your car to minimize it being stolen.

There were a lot more, but this was 18+ years ago and you know how my memory is :)

Living out in the woods, I suppose if anyone plans on killing me, they will. I've gotten home many times after 1-2AM and had to walk into a pitch dark house which probably has doors unlocked. I did finally put a flashlight in the car so I can find my way to the house if the power's out or I forget to leave the front light on. :)

I have an alarm but the wiring is WAY hosed - screwing up lights and phone calls. I'll wait until it's too late to get it fixed probably. :unsure:

macho
08-02-2004, 03:56 PM
you dog just saved you, but if it get's too rough, i suggest tha you get some real protection like a gun. it doesn't hurt to investment something for the safety of your family.

Biggy
08-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Aug 2 2004, 11:30 AM
"it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. "
--Clarence Worley
until your kid shoots his friend cause he thought it was a toy :)

Peaches
08-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Biggy+Aug 2 2004, 04:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggy @ Aug 2 2004, 04:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Aug 2 2004, 11:30 AM
--Clarence Worley
until your kid shoots his friend cause he thought it was a toy :) [/b][/quote]
If your kid is raised to respect guns, that won't happen. :)

Heck, get rid of the pool, the bikes, the kitchen knives, the bunkbeds, etc. if you want kids to be 100% safe. A nice padded room would be a great place to grow up. :awinky:

Hell Puppy
08-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Biggy+Aug 2 2004, 03:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggy @ Aug 2 2004, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Aug 2 2004, 11:30 AM
--Clarence Worley
Ah yes, that tired old arguement.

Sorry dude, I'm southern, we take responsibility for our children. I was taught to respect a gun from the time I could walk and learned how to use it shortly thereafter.

However, it wasn't until I was approaching adulthood that I could actually get my hands on 'em without assistance from a parent,. Ya see, I had responsible parents, the guns and ammo were under lock and key. But more importantly than that they spent time with me and taught me respect for firearms instead of expecting me to learn from public school and the television. Those guns would've never been treated as a "toy" even if they were stored in my toybox.

I realize that we live in an era where people want to take no personal responsibility and would rather have the government raise their kids for them and take care of them, but that doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.

I only post one message per year on the subject of religion, abortion and birth control, so I've just fulfilled my quota....go ahead and beat it to death in this thread, I'm out.

SykkBoy
08-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Biggy+Aug 2 2004, 03:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Biggy @ Aug 2 2004, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Aug 2 2004, 11:30 AM
--Clarence Worley
oddly enough, I grew up in Wyoming where people own more guns than cars and I can't remember anything like that happening....

There were the odd hutning accidents, but I grew up in a communiy of education. That's also why thecrime rate was low..everyone owned a gun and knew how to handle it...

I was shooting from nearly the time I could hold the gun myself and my friends were the same way...never a problem, because we learned from a very early stage to treat even a BB Gun with the utmost respect...

pushpills
08-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Like everyone says, you should get some of those sensor lights.

Coulda just been some punk teenagers lookin for an open sliding door so they could steal your booze.

gonzo
08-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy+Aug 2 2004, 03:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hell Puppy @ Aug 2 2004, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Biggy@Aug 2 2004, 03:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Hell Puppy@Aug 2 2004, 11:30 AM
--Clarence Worley

Sorry dude, I'm southern, we take responsibility for our children. I was taught to respect a gun from the time I could walk and learned how to use it shortly thereafter.

However, it wasn't until I was approaching adulthood that I could actually get my hands on 'em without assistance from a parent,. Ya see, I had responsible parents, the guns and ammo were under lock and key. But more importantly than that they spent time with me and taught me respect for firearms instead of expecting me to learn from public school and the television. Those guns would've never been treated as a "toy" even if they were stored in my toybox.

I realize that we live in an era where people want to take no personal responsibility and would rather have the government raise their kids for them and take care of them, but that doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.

I only post one message per year on the subject of religion, abortion and birth control, so I've just fulfilled my quota....go ahead and beat it to death in this thread, I'm out. [/b][/quote]
:pearl:

Sabby
08-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks Guys for the great advice... I definately will put up the motion sensor lights.. NO GUNS I would probably just get scared and shoot myself in the foot or something.

I have a security system that was installed when I bought my house, but all it does is say... beep beep beep FRONT DOOR (or whatever door/window gets open). This got really annoying after awhile with the kids opening and closing doors and windows all day just to set it off and I just shut the stupid thing off. But all the signs are still up on the property.

I'm not sure if that was an attempted burglary or if it was one of my model's psycho ex-husband. He came over and flipped out a couple weeks ago, but he was nice enough then to show up in the middle of the afternoon and ring the doorbell then at least. Also I had to fire 2 girls last month because they stole one of our video cameras and a digital camera and then went on a nice shopping spree with my Visa...

Not to mention of course
I AM NAKED ON THE INTERNET!!!

So yeah... I am definately a prime target for lunatics... I definatly need to protect myself more.

Sabby:)

KC
08-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Peaches+Aug 2 2004, 03:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Aug 2 2004, 03:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Biggy@Aug 2 2004, 04:07 PM
--Clarence Worley
If your kid is raised to respect guns, that won't happen. :)

Heck, get rid of the pool, the bikes, the kitchen knives, the bunkbeds, etc. if you want kids to be 100% safe. A nice padded room would be a great place to grow up. :awinky: [/b][/quote]
What about if the padded room catches on fire?
What if they chew part of the padding off and choke on it?
What if someone breaks into the padded room and kidnaps them?
What if there's a gasmask in the room and they suffocate by using it improperly?
What if the water supply for the padded room becomes contaminated at they are poisoned?

:)

I agree, buying a gun and keeping it locked up in ADDITION to teaching children that guns are not toys is a reasonable measure for self defense.

Even an UNLOADED shot gun provides more protection than no gun at all. One pump of the shotgun, fuggedaboudit.

KC
08-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Aug 2 2004, 02:47 PM
Go to Goodwill or an Army Navy surplus store and buy the biggest boots you can find, cake them with mud (maybe a little blood, hehehe) and set them outside the front door.

I like this tip A LOT!

Rolo
08-03-2004, 02:15 AM
I had too use my baseballbat once - Iīm glad I didnīt had a shotgun at the time, or Iīm sure it would had been a mess that only "The Wolf" could had cleaned up B)

Mike AI
08-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by KC+Aug 2 2004, 11:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KC @ Aug 2 2004, 11:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Aug 2 2004, 02:47 PM

I like this tip A LOT! [/b][/quote]
I have snuck by Peaches house, there is more then just 1 paid of big boots laying around, I counted about 5.

Know what I am saying?? I think Peaches is getting a little carried away with home defense!

:P

:lol: :lol:

XXXPhoto
08-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy+Aug 2 2004, 12:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hell Puppy @ Aug 2 2004, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Biggy@Aug 2 2004, 03:07 PM
--Clarence Worley

I only post one message per year on the subject of religion, abortion and birth control, so I've just fulfilled my quota....go ahead and beat it to death in this thread, I'm out. [/b][/quote]
hmmm... kinda long but agree with Gonzo... :pearl: in my book!

JoesHO
08-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Sorry to hear that Sabby, I agree I think a gun is the best option, but if you are not familiar with guns, then take a couple of safety classes first...

Playful Melissa
08-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I don't know what is going on.
I got my car broken into this weekend - smashed the passenger windows and stole my purse.... mind you I was all of 3 steps away at the gas station.....

The world is freaking out ...... Chicken Little said - THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING.... oh wait maybe that was GW Bush IRAQ HAS WEAPONS OF MASS DISTRUCTION!!!

Maybe the mad bomber had it right - live in the woods and mail bombs....

Weg Cory
08-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Aug 2 2004, 10:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Aug 2 2004, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by KC@Aug 2 2004, 11:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Aug 2 2004, 02:47 PM

I like this tip A LOT!
I have snuck by Peaches house, there is more then just 1 paid of big boots laying around, I counted about 5.

Know what I am saying?? I think Peaches is getting a little carried away with home defense!

:lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
Are all those men's jeans laying around her living area a part of this "defense" as well?

Peaches
08-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by WEGCashCory+Aug 3 2004, 01:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WEGCashCory @ Aug 3 2004, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Mike AI@Aug 2 2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by KC@Aug 2 2004, 11:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Aug 2 2004, 02:47 PM

I like this tip A LOT!

:lol: :lol:
Are all those men's jeans laying around her living area a part of this "defense" as well? [/b][/quote]
Note to self - start closing the blinds on the windows!!! :unsure:

KC
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Azure Sales@Aug 3 2004, 12:29 PM
Maybe the mad bomber had it right - live in the woods and mail bombs....
You mean the unabomber?

Ted Kaczynski is serving life without parole in a Federal pound me in the ass prison. I don't think his idea worked out very well. Although, a lot of people read his manifesto!

Biggy
08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
accidents happen. plain and simple.

and then you have idiots who don't take guns with responsibility to their kids, or are just plain sloppy.

i_got_cough
08-04-2004, 01:37 AM
why dont you hire a guard . . .. .

a person who would be there everyday and every night . . . . .