PDA

View Full Version : Tivo thinks I'm gay

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 06:47 AM
This morning's fare. "Queer eye", an "Ellen" rerun and "Will and Grace". All because I recorded a show on the history of South Beach. R.I.P. Versace.

KC
07-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Jul 19 2004, 05:48 AM
This morning's fare. "Queer eye", an "Ellen" rerun and "Will and Grace". All because I recorded a show on the history of South Beach. R.I.P. Versace.
That's really gay.

;)

As long as it doesn't record a Celine Dion concert, I think you'll be OK.

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by KC@Jul 19 2004, 05:51 AM
As long as it doesn't record a Celine Dion concert, I think you'll be OK.
That's just wrong.

marcus
07-19-2004, 08:16 AM
That'd be funny if it recommended the recent Barbara Streisand interview on Bravo

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by marcus@Jul 19 2004, 07:17 AM
That'd be funny if it recommended the recent Barbara Streisand interview on Bravo
Yeah, that would have been funnier if I had made that one up rather than the ones I did.
Next time I tell the story I'll use your version.

TheEnforcer
07-19-2004, 09:14 AM
You aren't gay? :huh:

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Jul 19 2004, 08:15 AM
Ae you related to Tivo?

Jesse_DD
07-19-2004, 09:32 AM
I read a story that TiVo's GayDar is 97.6% accurate. So, there is still a small chance that you are not gay. A very small one.

Peaches
07-19-2004, 09:33 AM
I don't have my TiVo hooked up to the phone line - I shudder to think of what it would pick for me :) Right now on my Playing list: Making Marines, The Osbournes, Blow Out, Airline and SWAT B) And my To Be Recorded (or whatever it's called) is even more varied. :P

TheEnforcer
07-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Jul 19 2004, 08:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jul 19 2004, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheEnforcer@Jul 19 2004, 08:15 AM
Ae you related to Tivo? [/b][/quote]
Distant cousin I do believe! :P

Nickatilynx
07-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Colin+Jul 19 2004, 04:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jul 19 2004, 04:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-marcus@Jul 19 2004, 07:17 AM
Yeah, that would have been funnier if I had made that one up rather than the ones I did.
Next time I tell the story I'll use your version. [/b][/quote]

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

;-)))

Mike AI
07-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Jesse_DD@Jul 19 2004, 08:33 AM
I read a story that TiVo's GayDar is 97.6% accurate. So, there is still a small chance that you are not gay. A very small one.

I read the same thing. Next it will be recording The Bird Cage....

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

*KK*
07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
The TIVO algorythym remains a total mystery to me when I look at some of the stuff it chooses to record...

Nickatilynx
07-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Jul 19 2004, 08:19 AM
The TIVO algorythym remains a total mystery to me when I look at some of the stuff it chooses to record...
Ahhhh yes... DENIAL!!!

;-)))

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jesse_DD@Jul 19 2004, 08:33 AM
Those gay rags are always conducting biased polls. You'd think they could do better than asking their subscribers to mail in a survey in exchange for free tickets to the "Hall and Oates" reunion tour.

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jul 19 2004, 10:21 AM
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
:pearl:

*KK*
07-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx+Jul 19 2004, 08:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nickatilynx @ Jul 19 2004, 08:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-*KK*@Jul 19 2004, 08:19 AM
Ahhhh yes... DENIAL!!!

;-))) [/b][/quote]
I just cleared out a bunch of stuff from it the other day, no real way to figure out what in the hell it makes it choices on, unless it was from when my son was here on vacation ;)

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by *KK*@Jul 19 2004, 12:29 PM
I just cleared out a bunch of stuff from it the other day, no real way to figure out what in the hell it makes it choices on, unless it was from when my son was here on vacation ;)
Yeah, I was looking around for the alogirthm the other day too as I pondered some of its apparently random selections. I should clear mine and try to reverse engineer it. Nahhh, no obvious money that.

Kacy
07-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by marcus@Jul 19 2004, 04:17 AM
What I think is funny is that you knew there was a Barbara Streisand interview on Bravo, lol :)

kath
07-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Speaking of TiVo..... we HAVE to break down and get one. My question is - what is better? The actual TiVo deal or the DVR things that you can get with digital cable? We currently have satellite but are considering switching - we've had that "searching for signal" thing WAY too often lately, usually in the last 10 minutes of a really good movie! :angry:

Anyone know if there's much of a difference between the two? They seem the same at first glance...

TIA...

Vick
07-19-2004, 02:19 PM
If your ass is a Chinese restaurant I'll have the poo-poo platter

My friend Jerry Vandergrift kissed me in Home Ec. class
Later in the afternoon some jarheads in the locker room kicked my ass
I said guys I'm like you I like Monster Trucks too
Wanna see how many push-ups I can do?
I just wish I was queer so I could get chicks

Chicks dig guys that are
Queer
guys that don't dig
Chicks
that don't dig guys like me

wear my mother's lingerie, learn the songs of Broadway
And appreciate Depeche Mode and avant garde ballet
I wish I was queer so I could get chicks

Peaches
07-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by kath@Jul 19 2004, 02:16 PM
Speaking of TiVo..... we HAVE to break down and get one. My question is - what is better? The actual TiVo deal or the DVR things that you can get with digital cable? We currently have satellite but are considering switching - we've had that "searching for signal" thing WAY too often lately, usually in the last 10 minutes of a really good movie! :angry:

Anyone know if there's much of a difference between the two? They seem the same at first glance...

TIA...
I've had both and I would never go back to the stand alone.

However:

1) To call and download programming is an LD call for me and no way to program in a calling card. I was paying an additional $25+ just for LD calls. The satellite does it now and I'm not stuck with pesky recommendations like Colin :)

2) I NEVER could get the stupid channel changer to work with the satellite box so I would have to be there to change the channel if I wanted it to record something on different channels.

3) Because I have all the satellite channels, I get the TiVo programming for free.

I would be lost without my TiVo :)

*KK*
07-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by kath@Jul 19 2004, 10:16 AM

TIA...
Kath, get the one that Direct TV sells right now -- it's awesome.

It uses two inbound lines so it will record two programs at the same time for you, and it's got a big HD to it.

I think I paid 79 bucks including installation for mine a couple months ago, and the remote works almost as fast as it would without a Tivo hookup at all, one of the biggest things I noticed when using a stand alone Tivo was that it slowed down the remote control noticeably.

kath
07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Cool - thanks for the advice.

And how is the DirectTV connection? We have Dish Network now - that's what we're having all of our problems with... I see that DirectTV seems to have just about everything we have - and we're those weird kind of TV people that just says "give me all the channels and be done with it." lol

Not sure if it's just out here in the desert or what, but Dish Network is starting to just suck more and more as time goes on.

:blink:

DrGuile
07-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Jul 19 2004, 01:20 PM

Chicks dig guys that are
Queer
guys that don't dig
Chicks

Should I admit to actually knowing this song?
:agrin:

here's one for you ;) That you dont know ;)

I'd like to actively encourage the toughest man to dance as hard as he can to this, my song. And bring your stupidest friends along. We wrote this song because it's fucking boring to keep spelling out the words that you keep ignoring. And your mscho shit won't phase me now. It just makes us laugh, we got your cash, court-jester take a bow. Because did you know that when I was nine, I tried to fuck a friend of mine? HE was 8, then I turned 10. 14 years later it happened again (with another friend). This time me on the receiving end. And all the fists in the world can't save you now. Cuz if you dance to this, then you drink to me and my sexuality. With your hands down my pants by transitive property.

JR
07-19-2004, 04:37 PM
mine started out the same way. except as someone once pointed out... i always got prompted for all sorts of religious shows as well. i can't imagine there is an algorithym that somehow figures a guy who only watches The Apprentice, Sopranos, Jamie Kennedy Experiment, Chappels Show, Dead Wood and Seinfeld might be interested in Ellen Degeneres(sp) or The Hour Of God.

Vick
07-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile+Jul 19 2004, 01:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrGuile @ Jul 19 2004, 01:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Vick@Jul 19 2004, 01:20 PM

Chicks dig guys that are
Queer
guys that don't dig
Chicks

Should I admit to actually knowing this song?
:agrin:

here's one for you ;) That you dont know ;)

I'd like to actively encourage the toughest man to dance as hard as he can to this, my song. And bring your stupidest friends along. We wrote this song because it's fucking boring to keep spelling out the words that you keep ignoring. And your mscho shit won't phase me now. It just makes us laugh, we got your cash, court-jester take a bow. Because did you know that when I was nine, I tried to fuck a friend of mine? HE was 8, then I turned 10. 14 years later it happened again (with another friend). This time me on the receiving end. And all the fists in the world can't save you now. Cuz if you dance to this, then you drink to me and my sexuality. With your hands down my pants by transitive property. [/b][/quote]
he he he I love that song BHG are hilarious

and you're right I don't know the other song

DrGuile
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Jul 19 2004, 03:45 PM
he he he I love that song BHG are hilarious

and you're right I don't know the other song
Yup, bloodhound gang does make some pretty fun song. I actually made a remix of a few of their songs...

here's the other song... music is always better than text...
http://www.drguile.com/perso/lesstalkmorerock.mp3

TheEnforcer
07-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by kath@Jul 19 2004, 01:16 PM

TIA...
95 times out of 100 when you have a signal problem you can easily get it back by going in and changing the transponder number. A vast majority of the time you can find one that is getting the signal just fine.

TheEnforcer
07-19-2004, 06:16 PM
BTW- I have DirecTV.

MissEve
07-19-2004, 07:15 PM
The Tivo series 2 can use an internet/wireless connection to DL the info, its awesome!

*KK*
07-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Jul 19 2004, 03:16 PM
The Tivo series 2 can use an internet/wireless connection to DL the info, its awesome!
Geeky ass white girl! ;-}}}}

The one we've got now has a Version 3 software on it and 2 USB ports, not that I'm in any way, shape or form sure how one goes about using it ;)

Vick
07-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Am I the only person on the face of the earth not to own a TiVo?

Am more likely to buy the DVD than go see the movie, don't know that I've ever rented a movie and am sure I have never been a member of Blockbuster or any other movie rental chain

Doubt that I watch 5 hours of TV a month (PBSKIDs and Disney Channel on in the background with S not included), in fact if it wasn't for Pro Football I'd probably watch regular TV less than 20 hours a year (do have every channel in the world though - or so it seems)

TE - "transponder number" - what do you have - the Star Trek model?? :)

TheEnforcer
07-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Jul 19 2004, 06:30 PM
TE - "transponder number" - what do you have - the Star Trek model?? :)
Hahahaha!! No, every DirecTV system has the abilty to change between transponders. I would imagine the Dish Network system has that as well.

MissEve
07-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by *KK*+Jul 19 2004, 06:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (*KK* @ Jul 19 2004, 06:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MissEve@Jul 19 2004, 03:16 PM
Geeky ass white girl! ;-}}}}

The one we've got now has a Version 3 software on it and 2 USB ports, not that I'm in any way, shape or form sure how one goes about using it ;) [/b][/quote]
lol, thankfully I have a geeky ass white boy in the house to operate these things! He hooks it up and I just start recording cooking shows and girl movies!

MissEve
07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Vick, you could get one just to record the Cirque stuff on Bravo :)

I need a radio Tivo, I always miss shows on NPR that I like.

Vick
07-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by MissEve@Jul 19 2004, 06:59 PM
Vick, you could get one just to record the Cirque stuff on Bravo :)

:okthumb: :okthumb: :D great idea

Already have 4 Cirque DVD's he he he

Peaches
07-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Jul 19 2004, 07:30 PM
Am I the only person on the face of the earth not to own a TiVo?
No, Hellpuppy doesn't have one either. :P