PDA

View Full Version : saw I,Robot last night!

Jim
07-16-2004, 10:48 AM
i thought it5 was excellent! they really made you feel for the robots...
even the non expressional ones looked helpless....

great sci fi flick!

Winetalk.com
07-16-2004, 10:52 AM
I'll definatelly watch it, I LOVE Asimov!

cj
07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
hey how did you see it already?!?!?!?

has it opened in the usa already?

i had promo pics for this a few weeks ago and have already built a mention of the movie into the new 'hollywood hunks' tour on the will smith page. i was looking through stills before the ad campaign started and since have noticed it everywhere ...

there has been a flash ad campaign on imdb.com which has several ads in the overall campaign - every one stopped me from surfing to watch the ad it was so visually and technically impressive.

there's a superstitial that looks like a robot is coming out of the screen, and this other really cool flash ad with a whole movie preview/ad inside this 120x500 skyscraper banner.

if the movie is half as good as the media campaign, i'm looking forward to it!!

grimm
07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 16 2004, 06:53 AM
Ill stick with the memory of the book, no need to taint it with wil smith crap:)

cj
07-16-2004, 11:08 AM
watch it grimm

dat's da fresh prince of bel air yal r talkin bout!

I still remember most of the words to that intro :biglaugh: it was that whole mc hammer pants phase

Almighty Colin
07-16-2004, 11:09 AM
i'm going today

Jim
07-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Cj..we went to a midnight show last night! and it was fairly crowded!
i read it when i was younger and i have always loved Asimov's books....

but i thought they did a real good job making the viewer actuall feel for the robots....
which is similar to the way i felt when reading the books...

Opti
07-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by cj@Jul 17 2004, 01:09 AM
I still remember most of the words to that intro it was that whole mc hammer pants phase
oo oo.. do Funky Cold Medina :D

MissMinaBBW
07-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Awesome. Hubby and I want to go see it tonight anyway. Glad to hear it's good. It sure as hell looked good :)

SykkBoy
07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm looking to check it out this weekend. I just pray it stays dark and not just another will Smith spouting one-liners sci-fi action flick...I'm one-linered out....

From what I've read, the original script for ths movie was called "Hardwired" and was based upon a lot of the theories in Asimov's writings about robots and married the two together, then brought in another writer to punch up the script for Will Smith (yes, I visit way too many movie sites ;-))

Jim
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Sykk...yes it was darker than most will smith stuf..but he does get in his one liners...only about 3 or so...

kind of apocolyptic also....worth the few bucks for sure!

Jesse_DD
07-16-2004, 04:48 PM
heading out in a bit to see it... heard it was so so..

but Asimov is one of my fav writers so have to catch it.

venturi
07-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by grimm+Jul 16 2004, 06:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Jul 16 2004, 06:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Serge_Oprano@Jul 16 2004, 06:53 AM
Ill stick with the memory of the book, no need to taint it with wil smith crap:) [/b][/quote]
I tend to agree, grimm. Based upon what I've seen of the trailers I can't see how any true Asimov fan that read the Robot books will be able to stomach the movie without administering a heavy dose of Brain Bleach and forgetting that it is "loosely based" upon Asimov's brilliance.

Winetalk.com
07-16-2004, 08:43 PM
I just went and watched,
very solid 7 1/2

Dravyk
07-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Having now seen many commercials, snippets and trailers, this movie is as "based on" the title-named work of Asimov as much as "South Park" is based on the works of Duchovsky. :(

If you're a fan of the book (which is actually connected short stories more than chapters) and of Asimov, this looks like one to let pass by.

Opranoites seem to like it, but Maltin, Ebert and lots of other reviwers are panning it.

Almighty Colin
07-18-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Jul 18 2004, 12:54 AM
Having now seen many commercials, snippets and trailers, this movie is as "based on" the title-named work of Asimov as much as "South Park" is based on the works of Duchovsky. :(

If you're a fan of the book (which is actually connected short stories more than chapters) and of Asimov, this looks like one to let pass by.

Opranoites seem to like it, but Maltin, Ebert and lots of other reviwers are panning it.
I liked it but have also heard it is not very Asimovian other than the title and the 3 laws. Big fan of Asimov non-fiction myself. I grew up on it. Asimov was my introduction to the world of academics. Asimov's Guide to the Bible and his Chronology of the World are two of my favorites.

cj
07-18-2004, 07:12 AM
It starts here on the 22nd

GRRRRRRRR

Almighty Colin
07-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by cj@Jul 18 2004, 06:13 AM
It starts here on the 22nd

GRRRRRRRR
It's not good enough that 4 days will kill you ;-)

Will Smith looks good though. :zoinks:

grimm
07-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Jul 18 2004, 01:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Jul 18 2004, 01:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dravyk@Jul 18 2004, 12:54 AM

I liked it but have also heard it is not very Asimovian other than the title and the 3 laws. Big fan of Asimov non-fiction myself. I grew up on it. Asimov was my introduction to the world of academics. Asimov's Guide to the Bible and his Chronology of the World are two of my favorites. [/b][/quote]
yeah i was going to make a comment that i have had a copy of both of those works since i was in high school. In fact copies are sitting on the shelf next to me. I liked Asimov, thought Sagan was a Trekkie compared to Asimov. Too many absolute Statements about unknown things. Sagan did mellow as he grew old, even admitted mistakes.

Dravyk
07-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Jul 18 2004, 06:19 AM
I liked it but have also heard it is not very Asimovian other than the title and the 3 laws. Big fan of Asimov non-fiction myself. I grew up on it. Asimov was my introduction to the world of academics. Asimov's Guide to the Bible and his Chronology of the World are two of my favorites.
Asimov could definitely get a young mind into real science fast. Brilliant man. Met him once at a signing. Those mile-long sideburns seemed even longer in real life. He was completely befuddled as to why buxum babes in short leather minis wanted to him follow him around and do him though. :)

kath
07-19-2004, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the reviews... Opranonauts rarely ever steer me wrong on movie picks. We were going to Netflix it but I think we might see it @ the theater instead... for me if the critics hate it I'm usually going to like it, so that's another point in the movie's favor.

Any other suggestions? I feel like hanging out @ the theater tomorrow night... maybe catch a couple of new movies.

THANKS! :yowsa:

Almighty Colin
07-19-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by kath@Jul 19 2004, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the reviews... Opranonauts rarely ever steer me wrong on movie picks. We were going to Netflix it but I think we might see it @ the theater instead... for me if the critics hate it I'm usually going to like it, so that's another point in the movie's favor.

Any other suggestions? I feel like hanging out @ the theater tomorrow night... maybe catch a couple of new movies.

THANKS! :yowsa:
In the theaters? Pickings are a little slim. The Notebook is good.

How about some rentals?

Sleeper movie of the year: "the Butterfly Effect". One of my recent favorites that seems to have slipped under everyone's radar. I don't know many that saw it in the theater.

Best road trip movie since Fear and Loathing: "Y Tu Mama Tambien"

Favorite rental this year: "21 grams"

Jesse_DD
07-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Saw it. I though it was good besides Will Smith (and I like Smith). But, the one liners are rediculous and the action scenes are a little rediculous.

Great graphics and story.

3/5

Peaches
07-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Watched Thirteen and Cold Mountian over the weekend and recommend both. Here are my next 15 from Netflix:

Mystic River
The Station Agent
Miracle
Monster
Dirty Pretty Things
In America
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 1: Vol. 1
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 1: Vol. 2
His Secret Life
A Decade Under the Influence
Farewell My Concubine
Confidence
Stevie
Owning Mahowny
Enigma

kath
07-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks! Yes, my daughter and I wanted to see The Notebook - won't get the boys out to see that one though I'm afraid... they have to have elevated levels of violence, foul language and crude "potty" humor to get them in the theater. Maybe we'll escape and see it on our own. :biglaugh:

We saw Mystic River in San Diego during Cybernext - I thought it was pretty good.... we saw The Secret Window as well - and I thought that was even better. I even got my dad to Netflix it recently and he usually HATES Johnny Depp - but he liked it. We bought Cold Mountain - Civil War buffs in our house... we'll probably see that one 100 times at least... I thought it was pretty well done. Could have done without the whorehouse scene shocker in the middle though - a friend saw it first and said "oh the kids will love it" - my 13 year old freaked out and said, "ummmm.... Mom? What's this?!?" lol

Thanks for the ideas... you're right - theaters aren't filled with the summer blockbusters I was hoping for this year. *sigh*

Jim
07-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Sleeper movie of the year: "the Butterfly Effect". One of my recent favorites that seems to have slipped under everyone's radar. I don't know many that saw it in the theater.

I loved this move!

Also thought Mystic river was a great one!