PDA

View Full Version : City of God

Peaches
07-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Watched it last night and I have say, it's now one of my favs! I had never heard of it until I saw it mentioned on, of all places, GFY. I give it a VERY emphatic two thumbs up! :okthumb: :okthumb:

SykkBoy
07-15-2004, 04:30 PM
amazing movie
I was going to recomend it here, but my recomendations have ben hit and miss ;-)

Peaches
07-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jul 15 2004, 04:31 PM
amazing movie
I was going to recomend it here, but my recomendations have ben hit and miss ;-)
I was beginning to think I was the only one who's seen it! I shouldn't have doubted you. :awinky:

The story, the writing, the directing, the cinematography, the actors...... I was drop dead tired and only planned on watching it for about half an hour but just couldn't stop! One of the few DVDs I plan on buying.

pushpills
07-15-2004, 11:21 PM
yep, it's a good one. my girly friend recommended it to me.

OldJeff
07-16-2004, 06:45 AM
Peaches

I think maybe we should live in the same area, it seems every movie Aly and I see and really enjoy, somewhere along the line in a movie thread you mention liking it.

grimm
07-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jul 15 2004, 08:30 AM
Watched it last night and I have say, it's now one of my favs! I had never heard of it until I saw it mentioned on, of all places, GFY. I give it a VERY emphatic two thumbs up! :okthumb: :okthumb:
I dont know how you missed it, did well at cannes and sundance, won an Oscar. maybe its because you live in The south:)

grimm
07-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Jul 16 2004, 02:46 AM
Peaches

I think maybe we should live in the same area, it seems every movie Aly and I see and really enjoy, somewhere along the line in a movie thread you mention liking it.
I am eagerly anticipating "garden state"

Did you know they are making the best football book of all time into a movie?

"Friday Night Lights" oprnd in october.

The book was simply fantastic.

Peaches
07-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by grimm+Jul 16 2004, 10:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grimm @ Jul 16 2004, 10:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Peaches@Jul 15 2004, 08:30 AM
I dont know how you missed it, did well at cannes and sundance, won an Oscar. maybe its because you live in The south:) [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I can guarantee you it never hit the movie theater here :awinky:

But I usally keep an eye out for good independent movies.

Speaking of such, watched The Triplets of Belleville when I visited the kid a couple of weeks ago. While not on my all time favorites list with COG, it certainly is a clever and enjoyable flick and well worth the price of a rental :)

grimm
07-16-2004, 10:53 AM
I had to drive to baton rougue to see "Spartan"

theres a theater there that shows independent films.. there is one in NO, but the AC is always broken. not worth it when it is 100 degrees:)

if you liked city of god, go see "the motorcycle diaries". you will like it.

Peaches
07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Jul 16 2004, 10:54 AM
I had to drive to baton rougue to see "Spartan"

theres a theater there that shows independent films.. there is one in NO, but the AC is always broken. not worth it when it is 100 degrees:)

if you liked city of god, go see "the motorcycle diaries". you will like it.
I won't drive to the place that show the independents in Atlanta :awinky:

Added Motorcycle Diaries to my Netflix for when it's released on DVD - thanks for the recommendation :)

Peaches
07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Jul 16 2004, 06:46 AM
Peaches

You two are going to have to move here - no way I'm moving there ;)

SykkBoy
07-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Grimm, you and I just might have to program a movie festival around one of the webmaster shows. I like your taste in movies ;-)

Although a movie I highly recomend will probably get eaten alive by the Oprano faithful, but I really enoyed "Shaolin Soccer"...if real soccer was played by kung fu superstars, I'd actually watch more than 30 seconds of a game...

The trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/shaolin_soccer/

Zebra
07-18-2004, 12:42 AM
I almost got to see Shaolin Soccer at the theater during San Diego but was 20 minutes late so I saw Man On Fire instead. Shaolin Soccer definately looks fun.
Been wanting to see The Motorcycle Diaries. Heard good things about it and it may be forever till we see Che'.
Caught Spartan in the theater. Was a good flick although the ending seemed rushed and it felt like something was missing. Val Kilmer definately redeemed himself after playing The Saint and Batman.
Keep your eyes out for Shaun of the Dead. Supposed to turn Zombie movies upside down in a way only the English could.

SykkBoy
07-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Zebra@Jul 17 2004, 11:43 PM
I almost got to see Shaolin Soccer at the theater during San Diego but was 20 minutes late so I saw Man On Fire instead. Shaolin Soccer definately looks fun.
Been wanting to see The Motorcycle Diaries. Heard good things about it and it may be forever till we see Che'.
Caught Spartan in the theater. Was a good flick although the ending seemed rushed and it felt like something was missing. Val Kilmer definately redeemed himself after playing The Saint and Batman.
Keep your eyes out for Shaun of the Dead. Supposed to turn Zombie movies upside down in a way only the English could.
"Shaolin Soccer" is a ton of fun, I highly recomend it to chopsocky fanatics and people looking for something a little different

I missed "Spartan" during it's theatrical run, but have heard great things about Val Kilmer's performance.

"Shaun Of The Dead" comes highly recomended, so I'm really anticipating it. I've ben keeping up on every bit of news about it I can.

Nickatilynx
07-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Simple rule of thumb......

If sykkboy likes a movie , it sucks.

Do0 not see it.

;-)))

SykkBoy
07-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jul 19 2004, 09:40 PM
Simple rule of thumb......

If sykkboy likes a movie , it sucks.

Do0 not see it.

;-)))
hahaha
I usually try to setup my suggestions by prefacing what to look for...
if you want storyline, plot, blah blah blah, avoid "Shaolin Socer" but if you want something you've never seen before and want something lighthearted and fun, check it out...

For all that fancy plot, character stuff, etc. I just watched "The Last Samaurai" for the 10th time and stil love it.

For a decent mindfuck flick, I really liked "Butterfly Effect" too

Vick
07-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@Jul 19 2004, 11:45 PM
Problem with that film being A. K.

Can you take him (or anything he's in) seriously after "Dude, where's my car"?

SykkBoy
07-20-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Vick+Jul 19 2004, 11:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vick @ Jul 19 2004, 11:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SykkBoy@Jul 19 2004, 11:45 PM
Problem with that film being A. K.

Can you take him (or anything he's in) seriously after "Dude, where's my car"? [/b][/quote]
I don't often like to admit to this in public, but I own "Dude, Where's My Car?" on DVD...it sits amongst my stupid comedy collection with "Dumb and Dumber", "American pie" and "Battlefield Earth" ;-)

However, AK aside, I just enjoyed the story, the characters, the what if's and I almost forgot I was watching Demi's sextoy ;-)

I've always been a fan of Amy Smart and I felt she brought her A Game to this movie and I felt Elden Henson put in a damn good performance as well.

I even nearly found the slightest hint of a tear drop in my eye at the ending and I'm not one to boohoo during movies very often...

The last time I cried durin a movie was "Jersey Girl" when I found I couldn't get my money back. Kevin Smith publicly apologized for "Mallrats" but I felt this was the abomination he should be apologizing for...

GBF
07-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by grimm@Jul 16 2004, 06:44 AM
I dont know how you missed it, did well at cannes and sundance, won an Oscar. maybe its because you live in The south:)
Sorry... it didn't win an Oscar.
I'm Brazilian and we were hoping for that Oscar... but the Academy didn't give us one.

Cya