PDA

View Full Version : Economists Buff and RawAlex, why interest rates

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 08:36 AM
bonds move 2% up, rates dropped this morning,
Bill Gross (the biggest bond player) bought 24 billions worth of bonds 2 weeks before fed raised short term rates (the same time wig did, BTW) contrary to your prediction...
WHY heavy hitters don't follow your predictions and make money?
;-)))))

wig
07-02-2004, 09:10 AM
hehe I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut like everyone else.

I am short the S&P now. Still think there is one more rally into year-end before it all falls apart.

After that, the next 5 years are going to be ugly for equities. IMHO

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by wig@Jul 2 2004, 08:11 AM

I am short the S&P now. Still think there is one more rally into year-end before it all falls apart.

I bought 2 step up CD's today....my first CD buy this year
;-))))

wig
07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 08:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 08:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wig@Jul 2 2004, 08:11 AM

;-)))) [/b][/quote]
I think that is a good move. I really think that rates (especially short-term) will start going up soon.

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by wig@Jul 2 2004, 08:11 AM

Wig I am not sure you have ever been right.

The economy is strong - could you imagine where we would be if we were not fighting a major war and there were no threats to oil or from terrorism?

Unless something major happens from a terror attack or to the flow of oil, 2004 will continue to roll INTO 2005 - after that, I am not sure. Depends on who is President and what economic policies they try to install.

Serge, markets had short term rate hikes already built in. Infact if we do not have .25 point raise on a regular basis the markets will be dissappointed.

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:18 AM

The economy is strong - could you imagine where we would be if we were not fighting a major war and there were no threats to oil or from terrorism?

Unless something major happens from a terror attack or to the flow of oil, 2004 will continue to roll INTO 2005 - after that, I am not sure. Depends on who is President and what economic policies they try to install.

Serge, markets had short term rate hikes already built in. Infact if we do not have .25 point raise on a regular basis the markets will be dissappointed.
Mike,
wig is over mil in trading gains right,
but of course, it's your God's given right to argue with numbers.

as for your read of economy,
your read is meaningless if you can't make money of your read and wig CAN,
which again is your right to argue about who is right and who is wrong.

As for what markets expect and what will disapoint them,
you are living in YESTERDAY,
today's employment numbers completely destroyed your reality and markets no longer expect what you expect, you are now behind the curve
which once again is your God's given right to argue with me
;-))))

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 10:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 10:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:18 AM

Mike,

today's employment numbers completely destroyed your reality and markets no longer expect what you expect, you are now behind the curve
;-)))) [/b][/quote]

Sorry I do not have access to Wig's trading account, so I am ignorant to the millions he has booked so far this year.

I read the news this morning, I have seen the reports - but I have also seen a lot of other things the previous few months that are huge possitives.

I beleive that the stock market is built on momentum and many times on perception. But alas, I have not booked a million in the market this year, so I will just stick to speaking what I do know about - SPENDING!

:lol:

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by wig+Jul 2 2004, 09:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wig @ Jul 2 2004, 09:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 08:58 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-wig@Jul 2 2004, 08:11 AM

;-))))
I think that is a good move. I really think that rates (especially short-term) will start going up soon. [/b][/quote]
I'd be delighted if and when it happens,
I still sit on the mountain of cash/short term debt and will make up in interest what i'll lose in long term principal, without sacrificing cost of lost opportunities
;-)))

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:40 AM

Sorry I do not have access to Wig's trading account, so I am ignorant to the millions he has booked so far this year.

I read the news this morning, I have seen the reports - but I have also seen a lot of other things the previous few months that are huge possitives.

I beleive that the stock market is built on momentum and many times on perception. But alas, I have not booked a million in the market this year, so I will just stick to speaking what I do know about - SPENDING!

I don't have access to his acount either, but numbers were always my strong point and I just follow his buys and sells since 2002 when he urged me to buy gold at 320
;-)))

as for spending,
as a matter of fact we are looking for spending consultant
(neither me nor my wife were trained by our parents in that department)
if you become available any time soon,
you have yourself a standing job offer
;-)))))

wig
07-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Jul 2 2004, 10:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Jul 2 2004, 10:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wig@Jul 2 2004, 08:11 AM

Serge, markets had short term rate hikes already built in. Infact if we do not have .25 point raise on a regular basis the markets will be dissappointed. [/b][/quote]
I didn't say anything about the economy.

The Economy and the Equities markets are not synonymous.

I guess in your simpleton view, somehow these are connected.

Good Luck!

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 10:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 10:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:40 AM

I don't have access to his acount either, but numbers were always my strong point and I just follow his buys and sells since 2002 when he urged me to buy gold at 320
;-)))

as for spending,
;-))))) [/b][/quote]
My parents are not big spenders, especially my mom.

Katie is not either. Which leaves it all to me.

Of course now that MVL is sucking I guess I will have to hold off buying that Ferrari I wanted!

:P

wig
07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Jul 2 2004, 10:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Jul 2 2004, 10:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 10:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:18 AM

Mike,

;-))))

:lol: [/b][/quote]
Speaking of spending... don't you have some spinners to go buy or something?

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Jul 2 2004, 10:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Jul 2 2004, 10:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 10:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:40 AM

;-)))

as for spending,
;-)))))
My parents are not big spenders, especially my mom.

Katie is not either. Which leaves it all to me.

Of course now that MVL is sucking I guess I will have to hold off buying that Ferrari I wanted!

:P [/b][/quote]
yeap, MVL is sucking, but you are still showing profit on it...not as much profit as if you listened to "daddy" and sold it the day I sold it,
but still profit to spend nevertheless
;-)))

go for that Ferrari, maboy!
;_)))

Buff
07-02-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Y TSY YLD NDX (WCB:^TNX) Quote data by Reuters
Index Value: 44.58
Trade Time: 1:09PM ET
Change: Down 1.06 (2.32%)
Prev Close: 45.64
Open: 45.79
Day's Range: 44.10 - 45.80

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Buff@Jul 2 2004, 01:16 PM
Buff, you are quoting YIELD which is reversive from the BOND PRICE....
oh my, bad, bad me, I pick up on somebody who doesn't have a clue what the difference/relation between them!
;-))))

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by wig+Jul 2 2004, 10:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wig @ Jul 2 2004, 10:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 10:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 10:18 AM

Mike,

;-))))

Speaking of spending... don't you have some spinners to go buy or something?

:P [/b][/quote]

I already have them on my Escalade.

In 5 more years I will havee them all paid off! :okthumb:

http://purecash.biz/050704/DSC06330.JPG

Buff
07-02-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 12:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 12:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Buff@Jul 2 2004, 01:16 PM
oh my, bad, bad me, I pick up on somebody who doesn't have a clue what the difference/relation between them!
;-)))) [/b][/quote]
Uh no, Serge, that is the price of the bond I quoted. The price on the 10 year dropped today. I know how to calculate bond prices and yields, Serge. You better look at the info again, buddy.

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Buff+Jul 2 2004, 01:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ Jul 2 2004, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 12:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Buff@Jul 2 2004, 01:16 PM
;-))))
Uh no, Serge, that is the price of the bond I quoted. The price on the 10 year dropped today. I know how to calculate bond prices and yields, Serge. You better look at the info again, buddy. [/b][/quote]
Buff,
if you are sure about it,
will you wage $100 bet against me that you are wrong?

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Serge if you would have listened to jr. you would be rocking in REITS. Up 60% and collecting dividends around 5.5%

I still think MVL is going to pop more, Spiderman mania is just starting.

I only have 5k in shares, profit taking even when stock pops 5% is just not worth it with this small amount. <_<

Buff
07-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 12:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Buff@Jul 2 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 12:26 PM
;-))))
Uh no, Serge, that is the price of the bond I quoted. The price on the 10 year dropped today. I know how to calculate bond prices and yields, Serge. You better look at the info again, buddy.
Buff,
will you wage $100 bet against me that you are wrong? [/b][/quote]
Serge, the price dropped, the yield went up today, yes I will bet you $100 on it.

Buff
07-02-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 12:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 12:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Buff@Jul 2 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 12:26 PM
;-))))
Buff,
will you wage $100 bet against me that you are wrong? [/b][/quote]
You can just owe me. I know you're good for it.

U.S. 10-Year Notes Decline; Report May Show Economy Added Jobs

July 2 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. 10-year Treasuries fell in New York before a government report that is likely to show the economy had its longest streak of job gains since 2000, fueling inflation and forcing the Federal Reserve to speed up or boost the size of interest-rate increases.

The U.S. added jobs for the 10th straight month in June, a Bloomberg survey of economists showed. Rising employment may spur consumers to boost spending, fueling price gains and interest- rate increases that erode returns on fixed-income holdings. The Fed on Wednesday raised its key rate for the first time in four years, to 1.25 percent from 1 percent.

``Yields have a lot further to rise, and that's being driven by macroeconomic factors,'' said Ian Douglas, chief bond strategist in London at UBS AG, in an interview. ``Investors should get negative on Treasuries again,'' he said in an earlier note to clients. UBS is one of 23 primary dealer firms that trade directly with the Fed's New York branch.

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 01:30 PM
Serge if you would have listened to jr. you would be rocking in REITS. Up 60% and collecting dividends around 5.5%

I only have 5k in shares, profit taking even when stock pops 5% is just not worth it with this small amount. <_<
Mike,
"rocking" is relative....

what is the difference between X you can't spend in a lifetime vs X+Y you can't spend in a lifetime?
;-)))

{small print} jr sold MAC and now MAC is above jr's sale price{/small print}

daddy was buying ETF';s all the way to their bottoms and now sitts on
1) cap gains
2) divs collected and buys CD's off those profits
;-)))

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 02:33 PM
For those intersted in my consumption, I just spent some money.

It cost me about 1/3 price of my tickets for game 7 of the Stanley Cup!

It will look good with the puck I caught from the game!

http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/05/b2/36_3.JPG

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Mike,
Buff accepted my bet and please make sure he pays wig those $100 I lost to him this morning.

anybody else willing to put money that Buff is right and I am wrong?
$100 usual will do, and I am serious as a hard on.

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Jul 2 2004, 01:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Jul 2 2004, 01:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 01:30 PM

Mike,
"rocking" is relative....

what is the difference between X you can't spend in a lifetime vs X+Y you can't spend in a lifetime?
;-)))

{small print} jr sold MAC and now MAC is above jr's sale price{/small print}

daddy was buying ETF';s all the way to their bottoms and now sitts on
1) cap gains
2) divs collected and buys CD's off those profits
;-))) [/b][/quote]

Daddy is old and rich and have different strategies then jr.

I think we are both doing well.

And jr apprerciates the lessons and advice!! Even if jr does not alway
act upon it!

Buff
07-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 12:35 PM
Mike,
Buff accepted my bet and please make sure he pays wig those $100 I lost to him this morning.

Let me just make sure we're on the same page.

I said the price of the bonds fell (are falling) today and the yields are going up today.

You are saying the yields are dropping and the price is going up.

If this is the bet, let's make it $25,000.

Mike AI
07-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Buff covers his own debts!!

He takes enough of my money from poker!!

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Buff+Jul 2 2004, 01:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ Jul 2 2004, 01:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Serge_Oprano@Jul 2 2004, 12:35 PM
Mike,

Let me just make sure we're on the same page.

I said the price of the bonds fell (are falling) today and the yields are going up today.

You are saying the yields are dropping and the price is going up.

If this is the bet, let's make it $25,000. [/b][/quote]
Buff, I would have, but
1) you don't have $25,000
2) The State of Florida doesn't recognize $25,000 contracts without signatures..

stop leaving in the past, economic guru,
you owe wig $100

Treasury prices soar on lower-than-forecast jobs growth
Friday, July 2, 2004 11:59 AM
- CBS MarketWatch.com
By Kate Gibson, CBS MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 11:59 AM ET Jul 2, 2004

CHICAGO (CBS.MW) -- U.S. Treasury prices jumped Friday, sending the yield on the 10-year note tumbling to two-month lows, after a federal report showed job gains for June amounted to just half of what economists and financial markets had been expecting.

The benchmark 10-year Treasury note was up 30/32 at 102 11/32, with its yield (TNX) at 4.45 percent, after dropping to a two-month low of 4.43 percent early on.

The weak employment report illustrates "some chinks in the economy's armor, suggesting the jobs market may have peaked," said Kevin Giddis, a fixed-income analyst with Morgan Keegan & Co.

Nonfarm payrolls rose by 112,000 in June, less than half the 244,000 expected by Wall Street economists surveyed by CBS MarketWatch .

Employment fell by 11,000 in the manufacturing sector after four months of growth. The nation's unemployment rate remained at 5.6 percent, as expected.

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Jul 2 2004, 01:37 PM
Buff covers his own debts!!

He takes enough of my money from poker!!
good,
because now he owes you $50 wig promissed you and $50 to wig

wig
07-02-2004, 03:53 PM
unfuckingbelievable. ever heard of a quote screen?

good thing Serge is nice (did I just say that) cuz I would have taken your 25k.

Winetalk.com
07-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by wig@Jul 2 2004, 02:54 PM
unfuckingbelievable. ever heard of a quote screen?

good thing Serge is nice (did I just say that) cuz I would have taken your 25k.

wig,
expression I heard from MikeAI and quote often nowadays:
"You can't squeeze the blood from the turnip"
;-))

I have much better chances at $100 than I would have at collecting 25,000
;-)))