PDA

View Full Version : Russia gave US "intelligence" -Saddam might attack

Almighty Colin
06-18-2004, 07:56 AM
STANA, Kazakhstan - Russia gave the Bush administration intelligence after the September 11 attacks that suggested Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq was preparing attacks in the United States, President Vladimir Putin said Friday.

Putin said he couldn't comment on how critical the Russians' information was in the U.S. decision to invade Iraq. He said Russia didn't have any information that Saddam's regime had actually been behind any terrorist acts.

"After Sept. 11, 2001, and before the start of the military operation in Iraq, the Russian special services, the intelligence service, received information that officials from Saddam's regime were preparing terrorist attacks in the United States and outside it against the U.S. military and other interests," Putin said.

He said the United States had thanked Russia for the information. There was no immediate comment from U.S. officials.

"It's one thing to have information that Saddam's regime is preparing terrorist attacks, (but) we didn't have information that it was involved in any known terrorist attacks," Putin said in the Kazakh capital Astana after regional economic and security summits.

Putin said the intelligence didn't cause Russia to waver from its firm opposition to the war.

"Despite that information about terrorist attacks being prepared by Saddam's regime, Russia's position on Iraq remains unchanged," Putin said.

Putin didn't elaborate on any details of the terror plots or mention whether they were tied to the al-Qaida terror network.

A commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States reported this week that while there were contacts between al-Qaida and Iraq, they did not appear to have produced "a collaborative relationship."

President Bush, however, insisted Thursday that Saddam had "numerous contacts" with al-Qaida and said Iraqi agents had met with the terror network's leader, Osama bin Laden, in Sudan.

Saddam "was a threat because he had terrorist connections — not only al-Qaida connections, but other connections to terrorist organizations," Bush said.

wig
06-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Colin, when was this written?

Almighty Colin
06-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by wig@Jun 18 2004, 07:08 AM
Colin, when was this written?
25 minutes ago

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...id=518&ncid=716 (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040618/ap_on_re_eu/russia_iraq&cid=518&ncid=716)

Rolo
06-18-2004, 08:08 AM
This is interesting... why do Putin first tell about this now?

Almighty Colin
06-18-2004, 08:09 AM
It's on CNN now.

Almighty Colin
Originally posted by Rolo@Jun 18 2004, 07:16 AM
Interesting math equation regarding that.

$ ? ; - )

wig
Originally posted by Rolo@Jun 18 2004, 07:16 AM
right. first I have heard of that.

Almighty Colin
06-18-2004, 08:11 AM
Maybe they're preparing for joint statements on Iran. Look out. Russia and US vs. Islam.

wig
06-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 18 2004, 07:17 AM
It's on CNN now.
Interesting. Just watched CNN report. They have they same questions.

Winetalk.com
06-18-2004, 08:21 AM
STANA, Kazakhstan

something fishy about the ORIGIN of this story...

it's like the major US policy "revalation" coming from....Bahamas
;_))

Kazakhstan is not even the part of Russia anymore.

Rolo
06-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Jun 18 2004, 04:17 AM
$ ? ; - )
Yeah - yesterday he saved russian oil company YUKOS with saying:

"I can say just one thing, Russian state officials and the government are not interested in a bankruptcy of such a company as YUKOS"

Stock climb 30-40% in one day, after that comment.

Will be interesting to see, if Putin comment will help Bush in the polls...

slavdogg
06-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 18 2004, 07:29 AM
something fishy about the ORIGIN of this story...
Serge, any major world news out of Russia is fishy
and thats how i see this story

as far as Kazakhstan, Russian space agency is still in Kazakhstan
but in this case, that makes no sense. I highly doubt Russia's KGB/FSB is headquartered or has a major office in Kazakhstan.

its more like politics, and Putin whiping Bush's ass

Mike AI
06-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Interesting story, wonder where it will lead?

Winetalk.com
06-18-2004, 10:13 AM
i dunno where it will lead, but Putin obviously preffers Bush over Kerry

RawAlex
06-18-2004, 10:20 AM
A war based on, let's see, some guy in Africa saying someone wanted to buy some uranium (later proved false) and Russian Intelligence reports?

I can think of a whole collection of presidents spinning in their graves!

Alex

Winetalk.com
06-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Jun 18 2004, 09:28 AM
A war based on, let's see, some guy in Africa saying someone wanted to buy some uranium (later proved false) and Russian Intelligence reports?

Alex
Alex, Clinton is not dead yet....

Almighty Colin
06-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Jun 18 2004, 09:28 AM

Alex
Alex,

Let's stick to the living ones?

Do you think the Clinton/Bush doctine is dead?
http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?a...=ST&f=1&t=12396 (http://www.oprano.com/msgboard/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=12396)

But if you want dead, let's go with McKinley.

Last edited by Colin at Jun 18 2004, 09:42 AM

RawAlex
06-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Colin, Chomsky ain't really a great source... like using Limbaugh to promote democrat party. Yuppers.

Alex

Almighty Colin
06-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Jun 18 2004, 11:24 AM
Colin, Chomsky ain't really a great source... like using Limbaugh to promote democrat party. Yuppers.

Alex

Clinton was not the source of the article I quoted. CNN was. I only mentioned the Chomsky article because it is what made me think of it. I was telling a story.

How about I quote Clinton?

Good afternoon.

Today, I ordered our armed forces to strike at terrorist-related facilities in Afghanistan and Sudan because of the threat they present to our national security.

I have said many times that terrorism is one of the greatest dangers we face in this new global era.

We saw its twisted mentality at work last week in the embassy bombings in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam, which took the lives of innocent Americans and Africans and injured thousands more.

Today, we have struck back.

The United States launched an attack this morning on one of the most active terrorist bases in the world.

It is located in Afghanistan and operated by groups affiliated with Osama bin Laden, a network not sponsored by any state, but as dangerous as any we face.

We also struck a chemical weapons-related facility in Sudan. Our target was the terrorists' base of operation and infrastructure.

Our objective was to damage their capacity to strike at Americans and other innocent people.

Four reasons

I ordered this action for four reasons. First, because we have convincing evidence these groups played the key role in the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

Second, because these groups have executed terrorist attacks against Americans in the past.

Third, because we have compelling information that they were planning additional terrorist attacks against our citizens and others with the inevitable collateral casualties we saw so tragically in Africa.

And fourth, because they are seeking to acquire chemical weapons and other dangerous weapons.

'America will protect its citizens'

Terrorists must have no doubt that in the face of their threats, America will protect its citizens and will continue to lead the world's fight for peace, freedom and security.

Now I am returning to Washington to be briefed by my national security team on the latest information.

I will provide you with a more detailed statement later this afternoon from the White House.

Thank you very much. "

Source:

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/155211.stm)

Last edited by Colin at Jun 18 2004, 11:34 AM

gigi
06-20-2004, 12:14 AM
I'm glad others here are also leary of the source....Putin that is....it's like all of a sudden he's a reliable source.... :blink:

Rolo
06-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by gigi@Jun 19 2004, 08:22 PM
it's like all of a sudden he's a reliable source...
No politician is reliable, but I think Putinīs motive is interesting... its all about politics, and in politics the truth does not matter - the only thing that matters is the perception of truth.