PDA

View Full Version : Do you look for medical info online?

JoesHO
06-15-2004, 10:12 AM
According to the American Journal of preventitive medicine,

People that do live by this practice, tend to be better prepared whebn they see their doctor for an ailment, and more educated on the types of questions they ask.

They are conducting a study now ion order to see if there is any connection to whether or not theese subjects are more prone to a lifestyle of prevention, allowing for their health to remain good for longer period of their life.

and who said virtual life is different from real life?

Winetalk.com
06-15-2004, 10:22 AM
after looking for side effects of Niacin on-line-
I stopped taking it
;_)))

JoesHO
06-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jun 15 2004, 06:30 AM
I stopped taking it
;_)))
Marijuana has much less side effects, and is certainly cheaper than a prozac regime.....

But preventitive maintence is definatly the path to longevity

sarettah
06-15-2004, 10:25 AM
I use various medical sites to check out info, yes.

And yes, I use the info. I hate doing the doctor routine, so I attempt to self diagnose first before I go get poked and prodded.

I also get lots of animal medical info, helps before taking any of the "kids" to the vet.

Peaches
06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I do it, especially with my migraines. :)

Trev
06-16-2004, 03:40 AM
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/ nuff said :D

chodadog
06-16-2004, 06:16 AM
Yes.

Duke Skywalker
06-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Hey, great board guys. Not a newb, just new to this board.

I remeber when i used to read up on illnesses online all it did was make me think I had every disease known to man. I avoid those sites like a
syphilitic hooker. I hate how they never give you an answer. It's like "it's possible you could have this or that, but it's best to seek the advice of a professional" Then whats the point of going to the site then. Thats why I gave up on them.
Cheers
Duke

Winetalk.com
06-16-2004, 06:47 AM
Duke, I hear you,
last time I checked, I had EVERY disease known to man except post birth neurosis
;-)))

ocho-ocho
06-16-2004, 07:53 AM
definitely, i enjoy health upodates on line!
more accurate & advance

JoesHO
06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
yeah, but speaking of prevention, how many here workout on a regular basis?

I am not talking about training for the olympics, I mean just simple 30 mins cardio or any resistance training, etc... wlaking?

cj
06-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1+Jun 15 2004, 09:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JoesHO1 @ Jun 15 2004, 09:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Jun 15 2004, 06:30 AM
I stopped taking it
;_)))
Marijuana has much less side effects, and is certainly cheaper than a prozac regime.....

But preventitive maintence is definatly the path to longevity[/b][/quote]
are you sure you want to start this debate Joe?! :biglaugh:

The side effects of Marijuana are often the exact thing you are trying to use it to prevent ... the side effects may be less than most doctor prescribed drugs, but the prozac example you used - Marijuana causes depression and chemical imbalance as often as it relieves it.

I use the internet extensively to research additional information about things I've discussed with my doctor or naturopath. Otherwise like a few people have said, you end up thinking you have every condition. When you have a clue to start from the net can give you more information than a doctor can - especially with conditions which are not commonly understood by doctors.

cj
06-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Jun 16 2004, 09:25 AM

I am not talking about training for the olympics, I mean just simple 30 mins cardio or any resistance training, etc... wlaking?
I try but getting motivated is always a challenge ...

I do yoga at least 5 times a week and have started rollerblading for a couple of hours a week.

its amazing how many conditions can be prevented with exercise and eating good food ...

Nickatilynx
06-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I always look for medical info online.

In fact if , say , I got bit by a snake

( I wouldn't though , professional courtesy , we don't attack our own , same as sharks , and lawyers)

the first thing I would do is take digi pics of the bite and post the pictures on GFY and ask for advice from 100 teen TGPers.

;-))))

pushpills
06-16-2004, 06:46 PM
i look up taking anything with alcohol and other drug interacions, especially mixing with ephedrine. using claritin near an ephedrine dose once made me pretty loopy.

I also got a $5 off coupon for valtrex should I ever get herpes.

JoesHO
06-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by cj+Jun 16 2004, 02:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cj @ Jun 16 2004, 02:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JoesHO1@Jun 16 2004, 09:25 AM

I try but getting motivated is always a challenge ...

I do yoga at least 5 times a week and have started rollerblading for a couple of hours a week.

its amazing how many conditions can be prevented with exercise and eating good food ...[/b][/quote]
Yoga is great...... believe it or not I do yoga too....

JoesHO
06-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by cj+Jun 16 2004, 02:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cj @ Jun 16 2004, 02:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -JoesHO1@Jun 15 2004, 09:33 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Jun 15 2004, 06:30 AM
I stopped taking it
;_)))

But preventitive maintence is definatly the path to longevity
are you sure you want to start this debate Joe?! :biglaugh:

The side effects of Marijuana are often the exact thing you are trying to use it to prevent ... the side effects may be less than most doctor prescribed drugs, but the prozac example you used - Marijuana causes depression and chemical imbalance as often as it relieves it.

I use the internet extensively to research additional information about things I've discussed with my doctor or naturopath. Otherwise like a few people have said, you end up thinking you have every condition. When you have a clue to start from the net can give you more information than a doctor can - especially with conditions which are not commonly understood by doctors.[/b][/quote]
I agree, that certain strains, can actually lead to anxiety attacks, and that there are other damaging side effects to smoking, i.e. lngs throat heart etc.......

but I do think that it still has less than many of the prescriptions that are available today.

Groove
06-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I get all of my medical info from GFY :okthumb:

kmanrox
06-23-2004, 08:14 AM
if i ever feel anything that isn't right, i'm on webmd.com within 30 seconds trying to find out why it could be. you'd be amazed at the crazy shit it thought was wrong with me... the other day my hands were trembling after working out, i was looking up parkinson's disease, etc =)

sarah_webinc
06-23-2004, 10:12 AM
i look up any medication I am given by a doctor to see what reactions othe people have had to it. Also, I have a condition that is just now really being understood and so sometimes I look things up and show them to my doctor incase there is something being done in another part of the world that he hasn't come across before.