PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this the

Vick
05-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Just got back from running errands, admittedly I don't drive much (maybe 30-60 miles a week)

Gas is 2.08 per gallon for regular (where I live gas is usually less than in the rest of the country)

Why isn't someone all over stabilizing oil prices

Continued rocketing oil prices will do severe damage to the US (I've lived it once, don't want to do it again) and world economies

Hmmmm let's see, we the USA are fighting a war, "liberating" a country with a tremendous amount of oil reserves but still paying more for oil

TheEnforcer
05-25-2004, 11:29 AM
It's $2.13 a gallon for the cheap stuff where I live and I haven't been to the gas station for a few days so i wouldn't be surprised if it's higher by now. :angry:

Winetalk.com
05-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Vick,
the reason the gas prices are high is..
USA doesn't have enough processing capacity.

The last refinery in USA was built in 1986 by Valero Energy.

let's all give environmentalists the big round of applauds!

they have won! and now we all paying for their victory.

SykkBoy
05-25-2004, 11:32 AM
2.08? Man, we could shower in gas at those prices...
I'm glad I'm a homebound worker now...here the price is hovering around $2.30 and has already affected prices in the grocery stores, caused landscapers to have to raise their prices and raised prices on everything else (beyond the normal tourist gouging stuff) that's causing farmers to have to spend more for feed, transport, etc..

Ah, but at least the oil companies will make a stunning profit this year...

Jesse_DD
05-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Actually - adjusted for inflation gas is pretty cheap right now. It should be between 3 - 4$ a gallon.

SykkBoy
05-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Hmmm, come to think of it....even $2.30 is a bargain compared to what Haliburton was charging the US government......

Vick
05-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@May 25 2004, 10:40 AM
$2.30 and has already affected prices in the grocery stores, caused landscapers to have to raise their prices and raised prices on everything else (beyond the normal tourist gouging stuff) that's causing farmers to have to spend more for feed, transport, etc..

Just the tip of the iceberg for the effects of spiraling inflation

Serge - Obviously that increases our dependency and when the OPEC nations reduce production ..... we (the USA) have our balls in a vice

any efforts at producing more oil domestically or increasing energy efficiency can take 5+ years to start having any effect

Hmmm I'm back to taking Iraq's Oil at least than market prices in return for rebuilding the country

WTF, many in the world have a negative view of the USA now, what's the difference

and if anyone has a better solution I'm all ears

Vick
05-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Jesse_DD@May 25 2004, 10:43 AM
Actually - adjusted for inflation gas is pretty cheap right now. It should be between 3 - 4$ a gallon.
That inflation number is inconsequential to the continued health of the American economy

and how do you come up with that Jesse?

SykkBoy
05-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Actually, I see a huge market for alternative energy products.
Hybrid cars are already selling rapidly here in Sin City.

Damn, I should have stayed with science rather than marketing as my career path...damn that high school business teacher for steering me wrong ;-)

TheEnforcer
05-25-2004, 01:05 PM
I would love to see a call to arms for alternative fuel developments on the scale that Kennedy called the nation on it's race to the moon!! :salute:

Almighty Colin
05-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@May 25 2004, 12:13 PM
I would love to see a call to arms for alternative fuel developments on the scale that Kennedy called the nation on it's race to the moon!! :salute:
Yeah, that would be awesome.

DrGuile
05-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Yes it would,

and that's why the OPEC will increase production and prices will come down a bit. To put everyone back to sleep on alternative fuels.

SykkBoy
05-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Me too
sadly Bush has too many financial interests in keeping alternative feuls out of the public mind...

We would be better off going to hydrogen power, but people panic over that whole Hindenberg thing...

Mike AI
05-25-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by SykkBoy@May 25 2004, 10:44 AM
Hmmm, come to think of it....even $2.30 is a bargain compared to what Haliburton was charging the US government......
Yeah but no one shoots are you with RPG's at the local Shell station. Well not at least in Tampa.

JR
05-25-2004, 02:05 PM
a better question was asked last night on TV by Lewis Black...

something like;

"why the fuck did they lie about WMD's to go to war... then stop lying once they couldn't find them. FUCKERS! who can trust a government that is so inconsistent?"

sextoyking
05-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Were at about $2.28 a gallon here in Portland, one of the highest.

Inflation - Deflation, the admin know they are going to leave a mess for the next admin. that comes into office.

PBucksLauren
05-25-2004, 02:44 PM
whoops I just nodded off in this thread lol.

:zzz:

not b/c of discussion it was bound to happen somewhere lol