PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Media Bias

Buff
05-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Pew Survey Finds Moderates, Liberals Dominate News Outlets (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000517184)

Pew Survey Finds Moderates, Liberals Dominate News Outlets
Aya Kawano

By E & P Staff

Published: May 23, 2004 4:00 PM EST

NEW YORK Those convinced that liberals make up a disproportionate share of newsroom workers have long relied on Pew Research Center surveys to confirm this view, and they will not be disappointed by the results of Pew's latest study released today.

While most of the journalists, like many Americans, describe themselves as "moderate," a far higher number are "liberal" than in the general population.

At national organizations (which includes print, TV and radio), the numbers break down like this: 34% liberal, 7% conservative. At local outlets: 23% liberal, 12% conservative. At Web sites: 27% call themselves liberals, 13% conservatives.

This contrasts with the self-assessment of the general public: 20% liberal, 33% conservative.

The survey of 547 media professionals, completed this spring, is part of an important study released today by The Project for Excellence in Journalism and The Committee of Concerned Journalists, which mainly concerns more general issues related to newsrooms (an E & P summary will appear Monday).

While it's important to remember that most journalists in this survey continue to call themselves moderate, the ranks of self-described liberals have grown in recent years, according to Pew. For example, since 1995, Pew found at national outlets that the liberal segment has climbed from 22% to 34% while conservatives have only inched up from 5% to 7%.

The survey also revealed what some are sure to label a "values" gap. According to Pew, about 60% of the general public believes it is necessary to believe in God to be a truly moral person. The new survey finds that less than 15% of those who work at news outlets believe that. About half the general public believes homosexuality should be accepted by society -- but about 80% of journalists feel that way.

When the question of which news organizations actually tilted left or right, there was one clear candidate: Fox News. Fully 69% of national journalists, and 42% of those at the local level, called Fox News "especially conservative." Next up was The New York Times, which about one in five labeled "especially liberal."

Not surprisingly, views of how the press has treated President Bush break down along partisan lines. More than two out of three liberals feel the press has not been tough enough on Bush, while half the conservatives feel the media has been too tough.

Still, a little over half of national journalists (53%) give national media coverage of the administration an A or B rating.

While the sample of 547 interviewees is not large, Pew says that this selection represents "a cross-section of news organizations and of the people working at all levels of those organizations." Newspapers were identified and circulation ranked using the 2003 Editor & Publisher International Year Book.

In an essay accompanying the survey, the directors of the sponsoring groups -- Bill Kovach, Tom Rosenstiel and Amy Mitchell --declare that broad conclusions about the political findings should be tempered by analyzing some of the details in the findings. For example, they identify strong "libertarian" leanings among jouurnalists, including doubts about the role of "big government."

Mike AI
05-24-2004, 12:23 AM
I posted this in Meni's thread. Hope he and Alex read it.

Joe Sixpack
05-24-2004, 12:41 AM
"The survey also revealed what some are sure to label a "values" gap. According to Pew, about 60% of the general public believes it is necessary to believe in God to be a truly moral person. The new survey finds that less than 15% of those who work at news outlets believe that. About half the general public believes homosexuality should be accepted by society -- but about 80% of journalists feel that way."

A "values" gap? This just indicates that journalists are generally better educated and less inclined towards the supernatural and bigotry than the general population.

dig420
05-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Yes, this is roughly the spread you get when you ask a group of people with B.A.'s and above, regardless of the profession. Also, the Pew fails to take into account the rank of the journalists involved. When you get into ownership levels they're overwhelmingly conservative, as most newspapers are owned by conglomerates with diverse corporate interests.

slavdogg
05-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by dig420@May 24 2004, 12:46 AM
When you get into ownership levels they're overwhelmingly conservative
they must not have a B.A.'s and above huh ?

Buff
05-24-2004, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack@May 23 2004, 10:49 PM
"The survey also revealed what some are sure to label a "values" gap. According to Pew, about 60% of the general public believes it is necessary to believe in God to be a truly moral person. The new survey finds that less than 15% of those who work at news outlets believe that. About half the general public believes homosexuality should be accepted by society -- but about 80% of journalists feel that way."

A "values" gap? This just indicates that journalists are generally better educated and less inclined towards the supernatural and bigotry than the general population.
Yes, that journalism degree is the zenith of educational achievement, far surpassing anything in the hard sciences, for instance.

You're an idiot.

Joe Sixpack
05-24-2004, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Buff+May 24 2004, 02:10 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ May 24 2004, 02:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Joe Sixpack@May 23 2004, 10:49 PM

Yes, that journalism degree is the zenith of educational achievement, far surpassing anything in the hard sciences, for instance.

You're an idiot.[/b][/quote]
I didn't say it was the zenith of educational achievement, you did Buffy-chunks!

Most maths/science graduates I've had anything to do with are borderline illiterate, virtually incapable of stringing a proper sentence together.

Besides, even a journalism degree is light years ahead of Mr.and Mrs. Ignorant American who probably couldn't even point out the USA on a world map. These are the ignoramuses who believe in Jesus and hate gays.

Almighty Colin
05-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack@May 24 2004, 05:38 AM
Most maths/science graduates I've had anything to do with are borderline illiterate, virtually incapable of stringing a proper sentence together.
Heh. Thanks!

Buff
05-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Colin+May 24 2004, 04:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ May 24 2004, 04:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Joe Sixpack@May 24 2004, 05:38 AM
Heh. Thanks![/b][/quote]
Colin, it cracks me up that this douchebag, who if he has a degree at all has it in something like sociology, has the nerve to disparage the sciences while simultaneously postulating a theorem based on a statistical sample of "most maths/science graduates I've had anything to do with."

Of course, he's probably had as many stats classes as the typical journalist. :D

Almighty Colin
05-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Buff+May 24 2004, 06:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ May 24 2004, 06:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Colin@May 24 2004, 04:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--Joe Sixpack@May 24 2004, 05:38 AM
Heh. Thanks!
Colin, it cracks me up that this douchebag, who if he has a degree at all has it in something like sociology, has the nerve to disparage the sciences while simultaneously postulating a theorem based on a statistical sample of "most maths/science graduates I've had anything to do with."

Of course, he's probably had as many stats classes as the typical journalist. :D[/b][/quote]
Art, I think. They take pictures of the news.

Joe Sixpack
05-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Colin+May 24 2004, 03:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ May 24 2004, 03:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Buff@May 24 2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by -Colin@May 24 2004, 04:41 AM
Heh. Thanks!

Of course, he's probably had as many stats classes as the typical journalist. :D
Art, I think. They take pictures of the news.[/b][/quote]
Film and Television Production actually.

:D

Buff
05-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack+May 24 2004, 05:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe Sixpack @ May 24 2004, 05:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Colin@May 24 2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by -Buff@May 24 2004, 06:05 AM
Heh. Thanks!

:D[/b][/quote]
We now pause for a message from Buff:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Programming may now resume.

Buff
05-24-2004, 07:49 AM
I'd love to see that course load:

FTP 217: Philosophy of Editing
FTP 331: Interview Science
COS 118: Makeup and Hair Preparation
PH 477: Advanced Photo-Angular Lumination
LAW 221: Trespass and Public Domain

etc.

Joe Sixpack
05-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Buff+May 24 2004, 03:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ May 24 2004, 03:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Joe Sixpack@May 24 2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by -Colin@May 24 2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by -Buff@May 24 2004, 06:05 AM
Heh. Thanks!

:D
We now pause for a message from Buff:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Programming may now resume.[/b][/quote]
Come on Buffy, we all know conservatives don't have a creative bone in their bodies. You need someone to create a culture for you.

I got to do subjects like "History of Cinema" and "Film and Reality" and you got to do "Stats".

I know who I'd rather be.

:rokk:

Joe Sixpack
05-24-2004, 08:00 AM
Buffy you are a constant source of amusement to me.

You have no idea how hard I laugh down here on the other side of the world when you get all hot under the collar and threaten to assault me. I love watching you dance.

I'll be thinking of you on Independence Day as I piss of the U.S. war memorial of my choice.

Just always remember that you are my plaything.

Last edited by Joe Sixpack at May 24 2004, 04:09 AM

Buff
05-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack@May 24 2004, 06:08 AM
Buffy you are a constant source of amusement to me.

You have no idea how hard I laugh down here on the other side of the world and you get all hot under the collar and threaten to assault me. I love watching you dance.

I'll be thinking of you on Independence Day as I piss of the U.S. war memorial of my choice.

Just always remember that you are my plaything.
This must be Spin 101.

HAHAHAHA

TheEnforcer
05-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack@May 23 2004, 11:49 PM

According to Pew, about 60% of the general public believes it is necessary to believe in God to be a truly moral person.
--------------------------------------

Ahhh.. the "god wars" group that constantly argue which version of God is the right one and all agree thatany version is better than none.

:rolleyes: :zzz:

RawAlex
05-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Buff, you are amusing, if nothing else. Maybe misguided would be a good term.

General public: What percentage holds a degree?
Journalists: What percentage holds a degree?

I would have to look to find it, but I saw a report about 3 years ago that showed that as people went further in their education, there were less likely to consider themselves "religeous".

The godo old right wing conspiracy... here, have some more pew stuff to choke on:

Bias is catching: Voters from both political parties now think that the news media takes a partisan tilt in its election coverage, according to a Pew Research Center survey released Sunday.
"Perceptions of partisan bias seen as growing — especially by Democrats," the survey stated.
Among those Democrats, 29 percent think the coverage favors Republicans, up from 19 percent in 2000. And among Republicans, 42 percent think the coverage is biased toward Democrats, up from 37 percent in 2000.
Such concern is growing among all voters. Back in 1987, 62 percent of viewers thought that election coverage was free of favoritism. Now, only 38 percent would agree.
Most also think the news coverage itself is pushing an agenda.
Overall, 65 percent of Americans think the news is biased a "great deal" or a "fair amount." Among conservative Republicans, the figure was 72 percent. Among liberal Democrats, the figure was 66 percent.
Such feelings were more pronounced in specific audiences, however.
Among those who watch the Fox News Channel, 76 percent think that the news is biased a great deal or fair amount. The figure stood at 72 percent among those who listen to talk radio, 73 percent who monitor news on the Internet, 69 percent who watch CNN and 66 percent who rely on newspapers for their updates.
Still, the public continues to pine for untainted news. The survey also found that two-thirds of Americans (67 percent) say they prefer news with "no particular political point of view," while a quarter want news that reflects their own politics. That figure has remained virtually unchanged since 2000.

Hmmmm "Among those who watch the Fox News Channel, 76 percent think that the news is biased" - now I understand Mike and Buff's point of view. Too much fox news channel. :-)

Alex

Buff
05-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@May 24 2004, 08:42 AM
Buff, you are amusing, if nothing else. Maybe misguided would be a good term.

General public: What percentage holds a degree?
Journalists: What percentage holds a degree?

I would have to look to find it, but I saw a report about 3 years ago that showed that as people went further in their education, there were less likely to consider themselves "religeous".

The godo old right wing conspiracy... here, have some more pew stuff to choke on:

Bias is catching: Voters from both political parties now think that the news media takes a partisan tilt in its election coverage, according to a Pew Research Center survey released Sunday.
"Perceptions of partisan bias seen as growing — especially by Democrats," the survey stated.
Among those Democrats, 29 percent think the coverage favors Republicans, up from 19 percent in 2000. And among Republicans, 42 percent think the coverage is biased toward Democrats, up from 37 percent in 2000.
Such concern is growing among all voters. Back in 1987, 62 percent of viewers thought that election coverage was free of favoritism. Now, only 38 percent would agree.
Most also think the news coverage itself is pushing an agenda.
Overall, 65 percent of Americans think the news is biased a "great deal" or a "fair amount." Among conservative Republicans, the figure was 72 percent. Among liberal Democrats, the figure was 66 percent.
Such feelings were more pronounced in specific audiences, however.
Among those who watch the Fox News Channel, 76 percent think that the news is biased a great deal or fair amount. The figure stood at 72 percent among those who listen to talk radio, 73 percent who monitor news on the Internet, 69 percent who watch CNN and 66 percent who rely on newspapers for their updates.
Still, the public continues to pine for untainted news. The survey also found that two-thirds of Americans (67 percent) say they prefer news with "no particular political point of view," while a quarter want news that reflects their own politics. That figure has remained virtually unchanged since 2000.

Hmmmm "Among those who watch the Fox News Channel, 76 percent think that the news is biased" - now I understand Mike and Buff's point of view. Too much fox news channel. :-)

Alex
Oh educated one, I am sure you meant "religious."

RawAlex
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Buff, all that, and all you can do it point out a typo?

Moron.

Go back to fucking bimbos. At least there you are putting something into the situation.

Alex
edited to add:

Typical right wing conspiracy way of debating. Debate until the other side brings up a good point, then totally change the direction of the conversation, call them names, point out minor errors or issues that have nothing to do with the discussion. Don't answer them when they have a good point, that would only back you further into a logical corner.

Predictable.

Last edited by RawAlex at May 24 2004, 09:54 AM

Almighty Colin
05-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@May 24 2004, 09:51 AM
Typical right wing conspiracy way of debating. Debate until the other side brings up a good point, then totally change the direction of the conversation, call them names, point out minor errors or issues that have nothing to do with the discussion. Don't answer them when they have a good point, that would only back you further into a logical corner.

Predictable.
Haha. That is EVERYONE :-) It's part of the process of discrediting the other person.

Buff
05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by RawAlex@May 24 2004, 08:51 AM
Buff, all that, and all you can do it point out a typo?

Moron.

Go back to fucking bimbos. At least there you are putting something into the situation.

Alex
edited to add:

Predictable.
It was germane, since you tried to show an inverse relationship between education and devoutness.

RawAlex
05-24-2004, 01:33 PM
let me guess Buff, you never make errors when you type? You never have a typo in a post? You are never wrong?

Moral superiority is the first step to thinking you are closer to god.

get bent.

Alex