PDA

View Full Version : File sharing 101

Peaches
05-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Since CT is no longer inhabiting the basement, I have decided to work down there for the summer since it's about 20 degrees cooler :)

I have a network, I think. I know both computers use the same DSL connection and router.

When I mentioned to my brother that I was going to be putting things on disk and taking them down there or emailing info to myself, he asked why I wasn't just using the file sharing feature of the network. Being too proud to admit to my little brother that I was clueless on how to do that, I merely said "Oh, yeah, I'm going to do that...that's REALLY what I meant. Uh huh, that's the ticket! File sharing! Duh!". :unsure:

But I don't know what I need to do :(

I don't even know what he HAS down on his computer. I THINK it's XP pro, but I don't know. My computer is XP home. He's given me my own harddrive on that computer. His hard drive is thoughtfully labeled "John's shit - DO NOT TOUCH". What a lovely boy......

Is there a fast and easy way to do this or would it behoove me just to copy on disk and/or email myself. :awinky:

Opti
05-23-2004, 05:27 PM
if you click on the start button there might be option called "My Network Places"

if you look in there you may find the other computer listed..

Uri
05-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Try E-Donlkey, Earthstaiton5 or Kazaa. You will be able to get all your software, music and movies for free. Make sure you use a PROXY.

Uri

sarettah
05-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Peaches...

On the computers that you want to be able to share:

Go to windows explorer.
Navigate to the disk that you want to share, right click with it highlighted in the left window, go to properties.

You will see a tab called "sharing", click it. Turn on full access and then assign a full access password. (do not run it without a password because otherwise someone coming into your network if they get past your router would be able to get to your disk.)

Then say ok and close that up.

go to the other computer and go to windows explorer there, go to the bottom where it says network neighborhood, click that, you should see "entire network", click it. You should then see something like "mshome" or some such, click it. At that point you should see the other computer, click it, you should see the drives. Hightlight the drive you want, right click iut and select "map network drive". Pick a drive to call it, enter the password and voila, you should be talking to the other computer.

That is the way I do it.

Peaches
05-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Uri@May 23 2004, 05:47 PM
Try E-Donlkey, Earthstaiton5 or Kazaa. You will be able to get all your software, music and movies for free. Make sure you use a PROXY.

Uri
I'm ALMOST positive none of those places have all my documents, webpage, bookmarks, Eudora filters, etc. on them :awinky:

Peaches
05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@May 23 2004, 06:05 PM
Peaches...

Go to windows explorer.
Navigate to the disk that you want to share, right click with it highlighted in the left window, go to properties.

You will see a tab called "sharing", click it.
OK, after I did this, nothing else matched what you said :( I did some kind of networking installation, it said it was setting up my files for sharing, never asked for PW verification to be enabled, etc. :(

I'm going to downstairs now to see what I can access. :) I shall report back! :okthumb:

Hell Puppy
05-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+May 23 2004, 05:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ May 23 2004, 05:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@May 23 2004, 06:05 PM
Peaches...

Go to windows explorer.

OK, after I did this, nothing else matched what you said :( I did some kind of networking installation, it said it was setting up my files for sharing, never asked for PW verification to be enabled, etc. :(

I'm going to downstairs now to see what I can access. :) I shall report back! :okthumb:[/b][/quote]
I believe one of the limitations of XP Home Edition is you cant control the security on a file share.

In other words, you can share it, but it's either on or off....anyone on the network will be able to see a drive shared on an XP Home machine. The risk here is that if anyone gets past the router, they can get to your files.

With this in mind, instead of sharing the whole drive, just share one folder. Drop anything you want to be able to access from the other computer in that folder. Same deal, to share a folder, just right click on it from Explorer and go to properties.

gonzo
05-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy+May 23 2004, 06:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hell Puppy @ May 23 2004, 06:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Peaches@May 23 2004, 05:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@May 23 2004, 06:05 PM
Peaches...

Go to windows explorer.

I'm going to downstairs now to see what I can access. :) I shall report back! :okthumb:
I believe one of the limitations of XP Home Edition is you cant control the security on a file share.

In other words, you can share it, but it's either on or off....anyone on the network will be able to see a drive shared on an XP Home machine. The risk here is that if anyone gets past the router, they can get to your files.

With this in mind, instead of sharing the whole drive, just share one folder. Drop anything you want to be able to access from the other computer in that folder. Same deal, to share a folder, just right click on it from Explorer and go to properties.[/b][/quote]
Bow to the power

Peaches
05-23-2004, 07:33 PM
IT WORKED, IT WORKED, IT WORKED :)

Oh happy day - thank you so much Sare!!! :inlove:

With this in mind, instead of sharing the whole drive, just share one folder. Drop anything you want to be able to access from the other computer in that folder. Same deal, to share a folder, just right click on it from Explorer and go to properties.
Ah, OK. I noticed that it showed my entire drive AND a shared document folder. Once I move everything into the shared documents folder, do I just delete the shared C from downstairs?

Another dumb question - do I also need to move all the software downstairs physically? i.e. Homesite, Excel, etc. or will it pull OK if I copy it into the shared folder?

I need to buy another office chair. I now have a dining chair upstairs and it's DAMN UNCOMFORTABLE!!! :angry:

Peaches
05-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Can I just move what I need over to my hard drive downstairs and then turn off file sharing or is the genie already out of the bottle?

TheEnforcer
05-23-2004, 07:55 PM
I would have just kicked the kid's computer to the curb and brought mine down. Problem solved and no tech BS to worry about!! :P

Peaches
05-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@May 23 2004, 08:03 PM
I would have just kicked the kid's computer to the curb and brought mine down. Problem solved and no tech BS to worry about!! :P
I thought about that, but I'll still use the one upstairs at least some as it's much more convenient and I can work there when people are here and still "mingle", so to speak :awinky:

Now I can't figure out why this one (downstairs) doesn't have any sound. I'm writing down all the things I need to ask CT when I see him on Thursday, hehehe :P

I wish I could remember to bring my glasses with me.........

Peaches
05-23-2004, 08:14 PM
For some reason, it's NOT allowing me into a lot of my upstairs files. :angry:

I'm going to copy them into my shared file folder and then, in my traditional Scarlett fashion, I'm going to worry about it tomorrow B)

sarettah
05-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@May 23 2004, 07:12 PM
Now I can't figure out why this one (downstairs) doesn't have any sound. I'm writing down all the things I need to ask CT when I see him on Thursday, hehehe :P

turn on the speakers ?? :blink:

sarettah
05-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@May 23 2004, 06:34 PM

I knew that. :yowsa:

Or at least after you said it, I remembered seeing that when I was setting up my laptop (the only box I have that is XP)

A really good reason NOT to go to XP home edition, IMHO...

Thanx HP

:awinky:

Peaches
05-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+May 23 2004, 09:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ May 23 2004, 09:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@May 23 2004, 07:12 PM

turn on the speakers ?? :blink:[/b][/quote]
They're on. The sound is on in the control panel. The freaky little volume button on the keyboard is on. :(

But I found my favorites file, so all is right with the world. :rokk: