PDA

View Full Version : This is why my daughter will go to Private school!

sharky
04-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Teacher Charged With Molesting Student

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGA7Q2FBMTD.html

This guy has been accused before but never charged?

What's the deal?

In a private school this guy wouldn't have been allowed back at the school after the first accusations!

Winetalk.com
04-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Sharky,
private school is a long term commitment,
requiring lots of financial resources.

Just make sure you ALWAYS have funds available to burn.

My children went to public school 'till 8th grade,
exposign children earlier is a waste of resources,
ROI is quite low in early years.

Vick
04-29-2004, 01:42 PM
reading that story makes me ill

If the allegations are true this is one of the few cases I'd be in favor of castration

LadyLaw
04-29-2004, 01:45 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...ren+convictions (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Teacher+private+school+accused+of+molesting+chil dren+convictions)

Sharkey, send your darling daughter to any school you want but please do not think for one minute that children are not molested in private schools any less.

The first link in my search is about teachers who leave public schools under the accusation of molesting children, who then go to other schools (and many of them private schools) to teach. Private schools are run by people who don't necessarily do their homework any better than public school administrators do.....

Winetalk.com
04-29-2004, 01:47 PM
where priests teach,
Private or Public schools?

Peaches
04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Speaking as a product of private and public schools, I can promise you there is just as much going on at the private ones as the public ones. Sorry. :(

sharky
04-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the advice Serge and Ladylaw.

I'm not as concerned with ROI as I am the safety of my daughter.

I agree with you that Priests teach at private schools.. very good point!

My daughter will be going to an Independant non-religious private school close to our house. .. Actually closer than a public school.

Parents are welcome to come and visit/observe whenever they like.

Either way, the point of this wasn't to bring up the public school/private school debate.

I cannot believe a teacher has gone thru continuous accusations and hasn't been stopped:-(

LadyLaw
04-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Sharkey:

I understand your frustration about repeat accusations and nothing done. Having your kids molested at school is the last thing a parent should have to worry about.

One complaint might be a misunderstanding....but more than one is too many.

Nickatilynx
04-29-2004, 03:24 PM
I went to a British Public School ( about as upmarket and private as you can get)

We still had , as Senior Prefects , the right to "fags". ie a young boy to run errands. In the winter in fact they were sent to lie in beds , to warm up the beds for prefects.

Caning was still allowed by teachers , up to 6 strokes even.

Hell my sister went to , at the time ,THE most expensive bording school in the world , and she said it was a hot bed (pun intended) of lesbianism.(OK Nuns were involved) ;)

So private school gains a lot of advantages but little protection from child molestors

kath
04-29-2004, 04:20 PM
My kids have been homeschooled since 1st grade (bad experience with both public AND private schools - I won't write the whole novel here... let's just say it wasn't pleasant) so I can't really talk about schools today with any experience. However, from what I am hearing at community sports events from other parents is that the Charter Schools are meeting with great success. Kind of sounds like what you're describing Sharky - parental involvement big time - parents choose books, curriculum, help out/volunteer at the schools (a great way to monitor what's really going on IMHO) and help to hire the teachers.

I have to agree with the statements made here - traditional private schools are no better than public schools and in fact are used as a haven for teachers with "problems" in many cases. Locally here in So California we just had a huge case where a teacher was accused of molestation @ a Catholic private school and it was found that he was hired with full knowledge of accusations in his past - but that they were giving him "another chance" at this school... and parents shell out how much $$$ per year for 2nd chance teachers these days???

Ridiculous! :grrr:

Peaches
04-29-2004, 04:31 PM
My son went to a charter HS. It was, by far, one of the best schools I've been around and was damn close to the private school I went to in FL that now runs $13K a year. Too bad the apple didn't fall far from the tree in not taking advantage of opportunities. :(

HOWEVER, I have said this a gazillion times - it's the parental involvement that matters. This was a public school before it became a charter school and the same high level of education, teachers, staff, etc. was there then also.

Another HOWEVER, the administration of that school in Sharky's report should all be fired. :steemed:

Vick
04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Apr 29 2004, 03:39 PM
it's the parental involvement that matters.
:wnw: :okthumb: :wnw:

Hammer
04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Both of my daughters go to private school. Not because I'm worried about them being molested by a teacher (I'm sure it happen at private schools too), but because I think they get a better education and they are safer.

Public schools have gotten truly unbelievable these days and the kids actually go through metal detectors to get into the public schools around here.

As far the education part of my post goes. One of my daughters is in first grade and they just took SAT tests. Pretty hard to believe but it's amazing how advanced my daughter is compared to her friends that go to public school, academically anyway.

Mike AI
04-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Very disturbing!!

I went to private school my entire life - my parents struggled to make sure my sister and I had quality educations. Public schools in New Orleans are a joke.

I will be sending my children to private schools as well....

Once I have them! :P

pushpills
04-29-2004, 04:46 PM
i went to public school and dropped out, and look at me now, 3.9 at depaul

never got molested either.

but seriously, i cant see private schools really being safer than public as far as molestation goes.

Carrie
04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
SAT tests in first grade??
Please tell me that was a typo. Nothing like pushing the kids, eh? And I'm sure the learning they did all year was *for* the test, rather than things a 1st grader would normally be focusing on.

Just another vote for the "private schools are no better" chorus.
If you want the best school possible, keep her home. :)
(Besides, it's a hell of a lot more fun!)

Dianna Vesta
04-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Lady Law is right about private schools. Being a prodom ( past) and knowing a lot of sex workers I can absolutely tell you that it makes no difference. Yeah, they won’t let them back in but more then half go unreported.

The best advice is to know your kids. Talk to them and teach them wrong from right. Don’t be afraid to talk about it openly. Tell them what to do in certain situation and how to get help. Pay attention to them in every aspect of their life. This is true for sex, drugs and almost every phase of growing.

I know lots of people who have been sexually abused and 8 out of ten knew the person well.

Hammer
04-30-2004, 05:20 PM
No Carrie that wasn't a typo. They took SAT tests.

The only thing they did to prepare them for the test was to give them a few practice tests so they'd understand the idea of how they worked since they are different than any test a first grader usually takes.

As for what they focus on, the students work at their own pace and in most cases are beyond what most 3rd graders are learning in elementary school.

In addition to Spanish they also teach yoga and other things that an elementary school would not be teaching yet, if ever.

There are definitely private schools that push kids way more than I think is appropriate but this school isn't like that. We actually have friends whose 1st grader kids are bringing home 2 and 3 hours worth of homework a night which is ridiculous. My daughter brings homework home at the beginning of the week and is given the entire week to complete it. She usually only spends 30 minutes or so a day on it.

JoesHO
04-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by The Hammer@Apr 30 2004, 01:28 PM
No Carrie that wasn't a typo. They took SAT tests.

The only thing they did to prepare them for the test was to give them a few practice tests so they'd understand the idea of how they worked since they are different than any test a first grader usually takes.

As for what they focus on, the students work at their own pace and in most cases are beyond what most 3rd graders are learning in elementary school.

In addition to Spanish they also teach yoga and other things that an elementary school would not be teaching yet, if ever.

There are definitely private schools that push kids way more than I think is appropriate but this school isn't like that. We actually have friends whose 1st grader kids are bringing home 2 and 3 hours worth of homework a night which is ridiculous. My daughter brings homework home at the beginning of the week and is given the entire week to complete it. She usually only spends 30 minutes or so a day on it.
I think the schools in Florida have to be up there in the ratings for worst school systems in America..

Winetalk.com
05-01-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Dianna Vesta@Apr 30 2004, 04:22 PM

The best advice is to know your kids. Talk to them and teach them wrong from right. Don’t be afraid to talk about it openly. Tell them what to do in certain situation and how to get help. Pay attention to them in every aspect of their life. This is true for sex, drugs and almost every phase of growing.

DV, VERY good advice. I had talks with my daughter when she was quite young and I never ever regretted it....even though the side effect of it,
she grew up to be a pisser and uses me for practices
;-))

Hammer
05-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by JoesHO1@Apr 30 2004, 06:51 PM
I think the schools in Florida have to be up there in the ratings for worst school systems in America..
I'm guessing you mean public schools Joesho, and if you do, that's one of the reason my daughters go to a private school.

JoesHO
05-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by The Hammer+May 1 2004, 07:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Hammer @ May 1 2004, 07:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JoesHO1@Apr 30 2004, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing you mean public schools Joesho, and if you do, that's one of the reason my daughters go to a private school.[/b][/quote]
Yeah, I was talking about public schools down there,