PDA

View Full Version : Handy tools, tips, tricks for webmasters

cj
04-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Does anyone have any little tools or freeware programs that you use on a daily basis that you couldn't live without?

like adaware, bulk rename programs, design resources, anything that helps make your day easier ...

O+ is almost ready for relaunch, but we need your help with the finishing touches :awinky:

Progammers & designers, if you have a tool you've written, free software available for download, free buttons or textures or site templates - email gonzo or myself & we'll include it in our O+ family resource section

:purpdance:

potential sponsors, by the time we got Mike's, gonzo's, mine & our link swap partners in rotation, there wasn't many slots left for sale but there will probably be 3 top row buttons in 2 x rotation ... contact gonzo for details

We'll aim to launch O+ on next weeks radio show so stay tuned for details!!

Winetalk.com
04-28-2004, 09:16 AM
here is the URL I go daily and can't live without..

http://www.etfconnect.com/

Trev
04-28-2004, 11:23 AM
For anyone running a MySQL database on a virtual set-up I can't recommend phpMyAdmin enough:
www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/ (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/)

It's a must have program for anyone with MySQL, and makes exporting important files easy when you need a backup :)

Oh yeah and it's free :D

Last edited by Trev at Apr 28 2004, 05:38 PM

SykkBoy
04-28-2004, 03:21 PM
I code all of my html, my very basic php (I'm still learning, finally past my "hello world" phase) and even take my daily notes with www.textpad.com (it even has multi-language versions.

Last edited by SykkBoy at Apr 28 2004, 02:29 PM

pushpills
04-28-2004, 06:04 PM
editplus is a really sweet tool

eatapeach
04-28-2004, 06:12 PM
the best tip i have is to make links to sponsors as generic as possible then send the link to a page on your site that redirects to the sponsor site. do that for each niche for which you have traffic.

it's also a good idea to make link tables ("moneybars" as snoop calls them) to all niches and send them to the proper redirect.

that way if a sponsor has problems converting or goes out of business or flakes out on you then you wont have to work your ass off to repair the damage, just change the url for redirection on the redirect page.

that's 2 tips, i'm feeling generous tonight :)

pushpills
04-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by eatapeach@Apr 28 2004, 04:20 PM
the best tip i have is to make links to sponsors as generic as possible then send the link to a page on your site that redirects to the sponsor site. do that for each niche for which you have traffic.

it's also a good idea to make link tables ("moneybars" as snoop calls them) to all niches and send them to the proper redirect.

that way if a sponsor has problems converting or goes out of business or flakes out on you then you wont have to work your ass off to repair the damage, just change the url for redirection on the redirect page.

that's 2 tips, i'm feeling generous tonight :)
so obvious but not everyone even does it.

i'll add on top of that.

when using a big box with all niches, be it popunder, table on site,etc, have each of these niched links go to the sponsor with a popunder full of that niches links, and some related niches as well..

example... surfer clicks on shemales on your list if niches, in a new window, it goes to alltranny.php, which maximizes this new window, pops a popunder location 3000,3000, then focueses the window and then goes to the sponsor alltranny. the popunder waits 2 seconds and relocates and resizes itself (this is so the surfer doesnt notice this popunder has been spawned at all and is not discouraged to signup for the link he just clicked and so they wont close the popunder while the sponsor is loading.)

now, alltranny didn't convert this surfer, he closes this window. low and behold an already loaded window with TOP 10 Tranny Sites is right there, we've got a list on the right with the top 10, we've got a column for j4free style programs, starting with tranny, then related ones underneath, and another column of paysites like gay mature etc and then some adult products like aff, penis pills, ifriends etc.

and if you want, you can have that niched popunder spawn a hidden console on exit that pops sites of that niche and related every 5-10 min. (works well with j4free style programs)

Lisa
04-28-2004, 09:32 PM
CeeJ you have mail. :)

Hammer
04-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Here's a tip.

Listen to 'Owned' with Gonzo and cj every Tuesday at 9:00pm EST on OpranoRadio.com.

:rokk:

sarah_webinc
04-29-2004, 08:51 AM
typeitin ...i don't know how people live without it.

Trev
04-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc@Apr 29 2004, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about this:

http://www.wavget.com/typeitin.html

If so then thats just sooo lazy....

I love it... I'm downloading it now :D

cj
04-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by sarah_webinc@Apr 29 2004, 07:59 AM
this is one of the url's lisa recommends in her tools section on O+ ...

Trev, I guess it depends how many forms you have to fill out on a daily basis!!! LOL

Trev
04-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by cj+Apr 29 2004, 03:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cj @ Apr 29 2004, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarah_webinc@Apr 29 2004, 07:59 AM
this is one of the url's lisa recommends in her tools section on O+ ...

Trev, I guess it depends how many forms you have to fill out on a daily basis!!! LOL[/b][/quote]
When I was learning to play chess I was burning through screen names at about 10 a day over at playsite… with this tool I could have saved so much time and made it 15+ :D

cj
04-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by The Hammer@Apr 29 2004, 07:57 AM
Here's a tip.

Listen to 'Owned' with Gonzo and cj every Tuesday at 9:00pm EST on OpranoRadio.com.

:rokk:
LMAO

Hammer - good advice!!!!

sarettah
04-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Total Control Search and Replace (http://www.hatterasdesigns.com)

Trev
04-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Apr 29 2004, 07:17 PM
Total Control Search and Replace (http://www.hatterasdesigns.com)
I give it a 10 out of 10 :okthumb:

Nickatilynx
04-29-2004, 03:11 PM
A tip....

Never fuck with a pikey.

;-)))

and redirects??

Just SSI them direct....... shit , thats soooo 1997 ;-)))))

Last edited by Nickatilynx at Apr 29 2004, 11:22 AM