PDA

View Full Version : Serge, don't move to Iowa!

Mike AI
04-27-2004, 03:01 PM
If you annoy a squirrel in Iowa you could pay a fine!!!

:o

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,118207,00.html

A Council Bluffs, Iowa, man learned the hard way — don't mess with the city's black squirrels.

Billy G. Cates, 18, was fined $325 last Tuesday for letting loose his dog "with the intent to annoy, worry, maim, injure or kill the squirrel," according to the Council Bluffs Daily Nonpareil and the Omaha World-Herald.

The black-colored squirrel (search) is Council Bluffs' unofficial mascot, and an ordinance protecting it has been on the books for decades.

"Originally Council Bluffs was noted nationwide for having black squirrels, an oddity in the squirrel world," Council Bluffs Police Sgt. Keith Jones explained, "but now we see them in other places."

Illegal under the ordinance is throwing things at squirrels or repeatedly threatening or scaring them. Jones said police see about one such violation per year.

There was no indication the squirrel was injured in the incident, and no medical treatment was sought.

— Thanks to Out There readers Keri R., Todd K. and Bill S.

Fish, Insults, Bullets and Candy

A fracas over fishing rights escalated into a hail of insults, bullets and hard candy, according to the Lake Sun Leader of Camdenton, Mo.

Property owner Steve Kralina didn't like it when two men in a boat showed up to fish just off his dock on the Lake of the Ozarks (search), a winding Central Missouri waterway formed by the damming of the Osage River in the 1930s.

Bad names were exchanged, and then Kralina, 49, began throwing hard candy at the fishermen, according to court documents.

Kralina then allegedly asked the pair, who were fishing for crappies (search), a common Southeastern and Mississippi Basin freshwater fish, to come onto his dock and settle it like men.

They refused, apparently in very colorful terms.

Kralina then announced he was going to get his gun. The fishermen told him to "bring it on" — but moved a bit further offshore just in case.

Good thing, too, because the sound of three shots made the fishing pair look up again to see Kralina holding a smoking revolver.

No one was hurt in the incident. Kralina has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon.

Camden County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Devon Ledam told the Lake Sun Leader that the lake and the crappie beds in it are considered public domain.

Winetalk.com
04-27-2004, 04:05 PM
MikeAI, if I ever move, it there is only one place in USA I wanna move to:
Utah, and it's NOT just because of Bryce Canyon
;-)

...as soon as Katie becomes a widow, I'll follow up on my promise
;-)))

Buff
04-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Apr 27 2004, 02:13 PM
;-)

;-)))
You're converting to Mormon???

Mormons open temple doors to share beliefs (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=8&u=/usatoday/mormonsopentempledoorstosharebeliefs)

Winetalk.com
04-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Buff+Apr 27 2004, 04:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buff @ Apr 27 2004, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Apr 27 2004, 02:13 PM
;-)

;-)))
You're converting to Mormon???

Mormons open temple doors to share beliefs (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=8&u=/usatoday/mormonsopentempledoorstosharebeliefs)[/b][/quote]
Buff, my father in law is a mormon and my wife is on their list...I AM a mormon by injection
;-)