PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network for Laptop

Naughty
04-21-2004, 09:47 AM
USB W-LAN adapter or PCMCIA card.

Can somebody tell me what is better when they both have the same speed? I'm getting a new router tomorrow to be able to sit outside when summer hits.

A USB adapter can eventually also be used in a regular PC, a pcmcia card cannot. Any other pros or cons?

RawAlex
04-21-2004, 10:44 AM
pcmcia is a more "direct" method for direct bus access on your system. Over the air speeds will not be quicker, but you may find that it works better. The other part being that pcmcia cards slip into the system and only a small external tab shows. a USB thing hangs loose of the back, making it harder to move the laptop around and limiting your ability to actually use it on your lap (because you have a cable off to the USB adapter thingie).

I have both, the USB one never gets used.

For your regular PC, a regular network card and cable are best. You can position your wireless access port near your PC. Make sure you get one with 3 or 4 regular 10-100 ports on the back of it.

Alex

Naughty
04-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by RawAlex@Apr 21 2004, 06:52 AM
pcmcia is a more "direct" method for direct bus access on your system. Over the air speeds will not be quicker, but you may find that it works better. The other part being that pcmcia cards slip into the system and only a small external tab shows. a USB thing hangs loose of the back, making it harder to move the laptop around and limiting your ability to actually use it on your lap (because you have a cable off to the USB adapter thingie).

I have both, the USB one never gets used.

For your regular PC, a regular network card and cable are best. You can position your wireless access port near your PC. Make sure you get one with 3 or 4 regular 10-100 ports on the back of it.

Alex
Right on.

You're thinking like I do. Who carries their desktop around:-)

The new router I'm taking does indeed have 4 regular pors (which are already full) AND a wireless access point for my laptop.

I'll take the PCMCIA card. Thanks.

Naughty
04-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Shit, I've done some more reading and it confuses me.

There's this Steno USB Card with 256Mb memory on it as well, you can use it with any 'hotspot' around, like on airports, gass stations etc..

Does a pcmcia card do the same?