PDA

View Full Version : EU fines Microsoft

OldJeff
03-24-2004, 06:24 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/24/news/inter....reut/index.htm (http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/24/news/international/microsoft_eu.reut/index.htm)

Wonder what the result would be to the EU economy if Bill Gates said Fuck it, Microsoft products will no longer be sold in the EU ?

Trev
03-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Mar 24 2004, 01:32 PM
Wonder what the result would be to the EU economy if Bill Gates said Fuck it, Microsoft products will no longer be sold in the EU ?
That would pave the way for quality non buggy platforms :yowsa:

OldJeff
03-24-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Trev+Mar 24 2004, 06:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Mar 24 2004, 06:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OldJeff@Mar 24 2004, 01:32 PM
That would pave the way for quality non buggy platforms :yowsa:[/b][/quote]
OK, that part is true, they would however not be able to use 90% of the software available.

Also trying hard to imagine what it would be like for 500 million to be 1% of "cash on hand"

Rolo
03-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Mar 24 2004, 03:32 AM
I think Mirosoft stock would drop fast, and within 2 years Bill Gates would be in top 20 of riches persons in the world, and not number 1.

Already avalible software would be perfected within the EU countries, and in 10 years or less average persons switching on their computers in the US would see Tux instead of Windows.

500 million is peanuts for Bill Gates, but the part about Windows Media Player not being a part of the OS... well that just sucks when you want World Software Domination, so MS will keep fighting for the next couple years.

Only persons who won today, was the lawyers which got paid to fight, and now can look forward to another round :awinky:

Trev
03-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm a windows man myself, but after trying apple I'm slipping over to the dark side.... Linux Redhat is another platform that is becoming a fav of mine...

So if windows left tomorrow I wouldn't miss it :D

Dravyk
03-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Trev+Mar 24 2004, 06:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trev @ Mar 24 2004, 06:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--OldJeff@Mar 24 2004, 01:32 PM
That would pave the way for quality non buggy platforms :yowsa:[/b][/quote]
Amen!

We NEED multiple platforms and less Windows. It's no longer mere inconvenience, it's a matter of security (and I'm not talking the larger picture of national security or global economics, though that plays a part) I'm talking about something we all feel closer to us - our own individual PERSONAL security.

Windows is now on some (thankfully few!) ATM systems. Two months ago the first and ONLY ATM worm came out. Yes, it effected ONLY MS Windows ATMs. That's our money at stake.

Just as bad or worse, MS Windows is now getting into some cars. For the moment it has to do with radios and windshield wipers. What the hell would happen if it takes off and then goes into system diagnositics and operations? Windows having a bug and NOT telling you have a pint of gas left because it's showing your gauge to be on full? A general fault error that forgets to relay a command to open up your air bag in a crash? (No problem folks, we have a patch for you to download via your OnStar connection.) Trojans that open your brake fluid valve?

The amount of harm that buggy piece of shit can cause isn't just theoretical at this point, as the ATM thing shows. This is a real potential menance that could effect your bank account and your life at some point. Alas, that's not an overreaction. I wish it were.

Do you want one single company controlling all of that? And worse, one company with the world's buggiest most exploited software? Things that should keep you awake at night.

Last edited by Dravyk at Mar 24 2004, 03:18 PM

Vick
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
I'll stick with the windows I have in my cars now

They work fine

If they were MS I might have to restart the car everytime they got stuck

JR
03-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by OldJeff@Mar 24 2004, 03:32 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/24/news/inter....reut/index.htm (http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/24/news/international/microsoft_eu.reut/index.htm)

there is no possible way for this to happen. Microsofts team are probably the most focused, motived and driven business people on the Planet. their goal is not second place.

it's a good thing that Bill Gates was not born in an Arab or African country... he would be leading a genocide somewhere in his quest for absolute power.

JR
03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Dravyk@Mar 24 2004, 12:16 PM
Alas, that's not an overreaction. I wish it were.

Do you want one single company controlling all of that? And worse, one company with the world's buggiest most exploited software? Things that should keep you awake at night.
i sale tin foil hats.

cheep.

Dravyk
03-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JR+Mar 24 2004, 04:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Mar 24 2004, 04:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Dravyk@Mar 24 2004, 12:16 PM
Alas, that's not an overreaction. I wish it were.

i sale tin foil hats.

cheep.[/b][/quote]
Ok, JR. Just remember this convo in 2005 when your bank account says you have zero bucks in it cause of a .dll error. :nyanya:

chodadog
03-24-2004, 11:48 PM
The security issues would not get any better if another OS became more popular. The only reason MS has so many known exploits is that there are people that spend all day, every day, finding them. Why? Because that's what the majority of PC users use. If everyone was on linux or something like that, it would be the same.

darksoft
03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by chodadog@Mar 24 2004, 08:56 PM
The security issues would not get any better if another OS became more popular. The only reason MS has so many known exploits is that there are people that spend all day, every day, finding them. Why? Because that's what the majority of PC users use. If everyone was on linux or something like that, it would be the same.
That is the biggest load of BS ever stated and you aren't the first to say so. Windows, by nature, is not secure. Why the fuck do you need Office to be able to access the internet? You fucking don't. Why does Windows need to have the desktop integrated to interface into the internet. It doesn't. If Billy G would quit being such a fucktard, half of these windows bugs wouldn't even exist.

Last edited by darksoft at Mar 24 2004, 09:17 PM