PDA

View Full Version : George Bush commercial

Almighty Colin
03-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Just saw a Bush campaign commercial which began with "I'm George Bush and I approved this commercial". Among other things, the commerical accused Kerry of "weakening the Patriot Act".

The Bush campaign seems a little lost to me. If they're trying to make civil liberties a campaign issue, I don't think they will win.

Meni
03-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Patriot act, woohooo
scan email
that costs the FEDS money
charge users to use email
cha ching
more money

Evil Chris
03-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Something tells me that in 30 years, we're all going to look back at the political climate of these days and go.... "How the fuck did that happen?"

wig
03-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 03:36 PM
Something tells me that in 30 years, we're all going to look back at the political climate of these days and go.... "How the fuck did that happen?"
IOW, hindsight is 20/20.

Personally, I think we'll look back and say that this period was not dissimilar to periods before it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;-))

Mike AI
03-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by wig+Mar 19 2004, 04:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wig @ Mar 19 2004, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 03:36 PM
IOW, hindsight is 20/20.

Personally, I think we'll look back and say that this period was not dissimilar to periods before it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. ;-))[/b][/quote]
Yep during crises and war the Nation always tightens up liberties. It has been going on since the Wiskey Rebellion.

Evil Chris
03-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Mar 19 2004, 05:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Mar 19 2004, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -wig@Mar 19 2004, 04:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 03:36 PM
IOW, hindsight is 20/20.

Yep during crises and war the Nation always tightens up liberties. It has been going on since the Wiskey Rebellion.[/b][/quote]
Tighten up liberties?????????

Liberty is supposed to be the FOUNDATION of America!

Incredible.

Almighty Colin
03-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by wig@Mar 19 2004, 04:44 PM

No surprise that I agree with that.

Almighty Colin
03-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 05:06 PM
Tighten up liberties????????
You aware of this fact though, correct?

Evil Chris
03-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Mar 19 2004, 07:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Mar 19 2004, 07:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 05:06 PM
You aware of this fact though, correct?[/b][/quote]
Aware? Fact? Hell if I know, Colin. I'm just an innocent Canadian bystander!

I just find it amazing that anyone would matter-of-factly say something like that, and be a red white and blue bleeding patriotic American.

Oh go ahead and say that to earn liberty you have to give it up once in awhile, but I think that's nonsense.

Almighty Colin
03-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris+Mar 19 2004, 08:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Chris @ Mar 19 2004, 08:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Colin@Mar 19 2004, 07:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 05:06 PM

I just find it amazing that anyone would matter-of-factly say something like that, and be a red white and blue bleeding patriotic American.

Oh go ahead and say that to earn liberty you have to give it up once in awhile, but I think that's nonsense.[/b][/quote]
He's saying that liberties have been suspended many time during crises and war and that it's a completely normal occurance. Nothing out of the ordinary. There are hundreds of laws granting emergency powers to presidents during such times and they have been used over and over again. The Alien and Sedition Acts were passed almost as soon as the country was formed, Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus, Roosevelt sent Japanese and Germans to concentration camps. These are just a few examples out of many. Maybe you think Lincoln and Roosevelt were not patriots?

It's not just true in the US. Many Constitutions provide for emergency powers during times of crises. Such times are very different than times of peace. A good example is that Canada forced many of their Japanese citizens into internment camps during World War II.

Meni
03-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Mar 21 2004, 07:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Mar 21 2004, 07:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by -Colin@Mar 19 2004, 07:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 05:06 PM

Oh go ahead and say that to earn liberty you have to give it up once in awhile, but I think that's nonsense.
He's saying that liberties have been suspended many time during crises and war and that it's a completely normal occurance. Nothing out of the ordinary. There are hundreds of laws granting emergency powers to presidents during such times and they have been used over and over again. The Alien and Sedition Acts were passed almost as soon as the country was formed, Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus, Roosevelt sent Japanese and Germans to concentration camps. These are just a few examples out of many. Maybe you think Lincoln and Roosevelt were not patriots?

It's not just true in the US. Many Constitutions provide for emergency powers during times of crises. Such times are very different than times of peace. A good example is that Canada forced many of their Japanese citizens into internment camps during World War II.[/b][/quote]
Colin this is 2004

wig
03-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Meni,

Try thinking a few layers deeper and maybe the obviousness of your statement will hit you.

JR
03-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Meni@Mar 22 2004, 12:22 PM
Colin this is 2004
and before that they were saying "how can this be happening in the 1970's" and "I can't believe that in the year 1941, we are being subjected to Draconian laws of the last century" - in the last century they were saying the same shit. and so on and so on and so on.

so what?

How does it feel Meni to be the only one who "get's it"?

You probably thought it was really cool for a while like being some frat boy at a party with x-ray glasses but later you realized how scary it is that everyone can't see the difference between "paranoid, insecure, delusional and neurotic" and just being "enlightened".

JR
03-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by wig@Mar 22 2004, 12:41 PM
Meni,

Try thinking a few layers deeper and maybe the obviousness of your statement will hit you.
we will have to wait for it to be aired on Stern or South Park before that will happen.

Peaches
03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by JR+Mar 22 2004, 04:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Mar 22 2004, 04:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--wig@Mar 22 2004, 12:41 PM
Meni,

we will have to wait for it to be aired on Stern or South Park before that will happen.[/b][/quote]
:wnw:

RawAlex
03-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Best quote from the boy's commercials:

"I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS!"

Man, I don't the oval office is big enough to keep that ego in check. Talk about being so certain as to be arrogant.

Alex

Meni
03-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JR+Mar 22 2004, 03:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Mar 22 2004, 03:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Meni@Mar 22 2004, 12:22 PM
Colin this is 2004
and before that they were saying "how can this be happening in the 1970's" and "I can't believe that in the year 1941, we are being subjected to Draconian laws of the last century" - in the last century they were saying the same shit. and so on and so on and so on.

so what?

How does it feel Meni to be the only one who "get's it"?

You probably thought it was really cool for a while like being some frat boy at a party with x-ray glasses but later you realized how scary it is that everyone can't see the difference between "paranoid, insecure, delusional and neurotic" and just being "enlightened".[/b][/quote]
JR i love how you read my posts
and think you know me
ask anyone who's met me in person

Meni
03-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 19 2004, 03:36 PM
I'm saying that now
let the religious right take away our radio shows, our tv shows, hit cable, satellite
so everything we see and hear is proper and decent

Lets go to war in Iraq, lets have Cheney's old corp rebuild Iraq
Lets not worry about the job market cuz, we are webmasters
we already work.

:bjump: