Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 11:07 AM
Some of my faves include:

Musée d'Orsay in Paris
Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam
Solomon R. Guggenheim in New York

... but I like many others as well.
Musée d'Orsay in Paris - has less impressionists than:
Metropolitan, H'Ermitage, Barnes Foundation Collection
beats me why you pick this one at all....NOTHING I can think of that grabbed my attention there...

Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam I hope you right,
I'll be there in 10 days
;-))

Solomon R. Guggenheim in New York how long ago have you been there?
there are a few good oldies, but contemporary stuff makes you puke....

Almighty Colin
03-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Smithsonian Museum of Natural Science

Shok
03-16-2004, 11:14 AM
London's natural history and science museum was fantastic

http://www.alphaworx.com/london04/images/DSC01183.JPG

Also the Smithsonian of course. Every part of it is very intersting.

Evil Chris
03-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I go to the Rijksmuseum each time I visit Amsterdam. Depends on your taste, Serge. I'd also recommend the Van Gogh Museum to you, I've been there once.

Musée d'Orsay is nice, and you can see all of it in an afternoon, unlike the Louvre. When I was there I saw a special exhibit on Henri Toulouse Lautrec. But there are also many permanent exhibits from Monet and Manet.

el pres
03-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is a great one.

The Victoria and Albert and The Natural History in London are lovely places to wander around.

Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK
Galleria dell'Accademia, Florence
Prado, Madrid

Are probably my favourites though, I visited the Galleria dell'Accademia when I was 13 and it just fascinated me, been back a few times since and I still feel the same.

kath
03-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Maybe because my kids are still little and I haven't had the opportunity to travel the globe, but I'm partial to the collection of museums and exhibits @ San Diego's Balboa Park. Always something new to see and do there, and there's a wide variety of subject matter to tour the kiddies through.

We loved the Museum of Man and my son was thrilled with the trip to the Aerospace Museum. :okthumb:

Bishop
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth Texas.

If you walk through the front doors and go just to the right.. the sculpture of the woman looks just like my wife naked. I don't know if it is still on display but it freaks my wife out..

Shok
03-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Bishop@Mar 16 2004, 08:26 AM

If you walk through the front doors and go just to the right.. the sculpture of the woman looks just like my wife naked. I don't know if it is still on display but it freaks my wife out..
Really? I banged that statue, I guess that makes us kind of related?

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 11:20 AM
The ones I ALWAYS visit when I am in town:
1) Metropolitan, NY
2) Natinal Gallery/Portrait Gallery, London
3) National Gallery, Rome
4) Dali Museum, Tampa
5) National Gallery, Washington, DC
6) Uffizzi, Florence

with H'Ermitage been the first love and probably favorite of them all
;-)))

Evil Chris
03-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Serge, if you're off to Amsterdam soon, might I recommend a couple of places to eat some good Indonesian food.

Indapura (http://www.indrapura.nl/) for fine Indonesian dining.
Kantijl and the Tiger (http://www.rciguides.com/planning/journalEntryDining.asp?JournalID=5941&EntryID=5098) - More of a lunch spot, casual atmosphere but excellent food.

Bishop
03-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Shok+Mar 16 2004, 11:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shok @ Mar 16 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Bishop@Mar 16 2004, 08:26 AM

Really? I banged that statue, I guess that makes us kind of related?[/b][/quote]

haha.. why am I not surprised? haha.. it was good wasn't it?

Billy
03-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Wow.. we were talking about this the other night.

Having the Strippers of the world museum in New Orleans, would you come : )

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 11:40 AM
Serge, if you're off to Amsterdam soon, might I recommend a couple of places to eat some good Indonesian food.

Indapura (http://www.indrapura.nl/) for fine Indonesian dining.
Kantijl and the Tiger (http://www.rciguides.com/planning/journalEntryDining.asp?JournalID=5941&EntryID=5098) - More of a lunch spot, casual atmosphere but excellent food.
no, you may not,
you MUST!
we all LOVE Indonesian food,
LittleC booked some nice place for one evening, but I'd like to get more!

shoot, please!

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 11:36 AM
fuck!
http://www.indrapura.nl/
not a word in English
;-(

Bishop
03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Billy@Mar 16 2004, 11:42 AM
Wow.. we were talking about this the other night.

Having the Strippers of the world museum in New Orleans, would you come : )

Let me know when it opens.. :awinky:

spazlabz
03-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Black Hole Museum in AZ, US. Nothing but nuclear artifacts from the birthplace of the atomic bomb.
Very cool place, I need to visit it sometime

spaz :matey:

el pres
03-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 16 2004, 11:44 AM
fuck!
not a word in English
;-(
http://www.indrapura.nl/en/index.html

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by el pres+Mar 16 2004, 11:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (el pres @ Mar 16 2004, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Mar 16 2004, 11:44 AM
fuck!
not a word in English
;-(
http://www.indrapura.nl/en/index.html[/b][/quote]
NOW we talking!
thanbks!!!!
;-))))

Evil Chris
03-16-2004, 03:27 PM
If you go to Indrapura, let me know how you liked it. I thought it was outstanding.

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 03:35 PM
If you go to Indrapura, let me know how you liked it. I thought it was outstanding.
I visit countries to EAT, I never hide my opinion about the food...

Fried gunea pig, anyone?
;-)))

Joe Sixpack
03-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Nothing compares to the Louvre in Paris.

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack@Mar 16 2004, 04:20 PM
yes, it's too big, poorly laid out, lacking the logic of exhibit...but what would one expect from Frenchies?
;-)))

Joe Sixpack
03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 16 2004, 01:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 16 2004, 01:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Joe Sixpack@Mar 16 2004, 04:20 PM
yes, it's too big, poorly laid out, lacking the logic of exhibit...but what would one expect from Frenchies?
;-)))[/b][/quote]
So how would you improve it?

J'sdude
03-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 08:07 AM
Some of my faves include:

Musée d'Orsay in Paris
Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam
Solomon R. Guggenheim in New York

... but I like many others as well.
The Rijksmuseum is pretty good, and of course the Louvre. The British Museum is right up there but I kind of like museums with impact. Like the Imperial War Museum. The RAF Museum at Hendon. The Car collection at Beaulieu. The museum of natural history in Tripoli with its evaporating formaldehyde. Auschwitz and Birchenau. I was just at Choeung Ek in Phomh Penh and I think that effected me more than any other. I also like the Valley of the Kings and Queens and the Egyptian Museum. There is a cool museum in Toronto by Bata shoes called the Shoe Museum and it is surprisingly good.
Not much of a museum guy myself,.

Evil Chris
03-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I'd agree that the Louvre is too big and it seems disorganized inside.
Plus you have to fight your way around the tourists looking for the Mona Lisa. It could easily be split up into 3 different museums.

I have been to the British Museum. It was nice, but a little dusty for me.

Not an art museum, but the Arnhem Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek, Netherlands is one I won't forget.

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack+Mar 16 2004, 04:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe Sixpack @ Mar 16 2004, 04:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Mar 16 2004, 01:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Joe Sixpack@Mar 16 2004, 04:20 PM
;-)))
So how would you improve it?[/b][/quote]
I have no idea...I don't know it that well, due to it's size,
I am not competent enough in that matter.

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 04:39 PM
Plus you have to fight your way around the tourists looking for the Mona Lisa. It could easily be split up into 3 different museums.

Not an art museum, but the Arnhem Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek, Netherlands is one I won't forget.
my problem with Brittish Museum is:
I've seen places from where their artifacts came from!

They do NOT belong in Brittish Museum,
the marbles from Athens belong in ATHENS, in the PARTHENON, not on the wall of the BM...

J'sdude
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 16 2004, 01:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 16 2004, 01:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 04:39 PM

the marbles from Athens belong in ATHENS, in the PARTHENON, not on the wall of the BM...[/b][/quote]
Oh yeah the Elgin marbles. In fact, most artifacts do no belong in the museums nor the cities they come from. I have been most of the places from where they have been stolen. The Vatican is full of them. But so is Rome, London, Paris, Moscow. I think museums are, by there very existence compelled to "acquire" exhibits from other lands.

Winetalk.com
03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by J'sdude+Mar 16 2004, 04:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J'sdude @ Mar 16 2004, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Mar 16 2004, 01:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 04:39 PM

the marbles from Athens belong in ATHENS, in the PARTHENON, not on the wall of the BM...
Oh yeah the Elgin marbles. In fact, most artifacts do no belong in the museums nor the cities they come from. I have been most of the places from where they have been stolen. The Vatican is full of them. But so is Rome, London, Paris, Moscow. I think museums are, by there very existence compelled to "acquire" exhibits from other lands.[/b][/quote]
Vatican "aquired" nothing....In Catolic Church clerics don't have anybody to will their fortunes but...the Church.

I am sooo happy MikeAI doesn't have kids and one day it will be mine...ALL mine!
;-)))))

J'sdude
03-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 16 2004, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 16 2004, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -J'sdude@Mar 16 2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Mar 16 2004, 01:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Evil Chris@Mar 16 2004, 04:39 PM

Oh yeah the Elgin marbles. In fact, most artifacts do no belong in the museums nor the cities they come from. I have been most of the places from where they have been stolen. The Vatican is full of them. But so is Rome, London, Paris, Moscow. I think museums are, by there very existence compelled to "acquire" exhibits from other lands.
Vatican "aquired" nothing....In Catolic Church clerics don't have anybody to will their fortunes but...the Church.

I am sooo happy MikeAI doesn't have kids and one day it will be mine...ALL mine!
;-)))))[/b][/quote]
Ya wanna see a really interesting museum, go to the museum in downtown Philadelphia (now known as Amman) and read some dead sea scrolls and have a guide tell you the story about where they beheaded John the Baptist and carted his head off to Damascus. Very cool museum

haui
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Museo Nacional de Antropologia - Mexico City
http://www.mna.inah.gob.mx/

haui
03-16-2004, 10:38 PM
List of interesting museums if ya travel:
http://www.tourism.egnet.net/culture/140m.asp