PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kremen, Sex.com, and Helping Others

DonovanPhillips
03-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I shared this on another board. People seemed to like the story, so I'll share it here too:

One person recently told me, via ICQ, "You just like to give away money, don't you?"

This person is a highly respected individual. He's chastised me in the past for sharing a large percentage of single-girl site revenues with the girls. This particular comment came after I told him I am giving FletchXXX a percentage of net revenues generated from the new tour he created for my Naked College Girls site.

I see where that person is coming from... but he is right. I DO like to give money away. My reasoning is very simple:

I remember back to the days when I was dirt poor (my dad was pastor when I was growing up). Before selling cars in college (I made decent money at that) I worked the night shift at a saw mill. But while working my mind was constantly wandering... trying to figure out how to "get ahead". I hit up a few of the "rich" guys I knew with my ideas. They kept telling me "not interested", but also telling me that someday I'd find an idea that would launch me on my way. That someone would eventually want to invest some money.

To make a long story short, I started shooting content in 1996 for a few of the larger adult sites. I left a consulting job to go full time into content. I made very good money. Six figures per year. But then my BIG break came along. That break bore the name Gary Kremen (sex.com owner). This was RIGHT BEFORE he won the domain back. Just a few months before. He liked my content enough to make a SMALL capital investment into my content business.

But the best thing he did for me was to take an interest into my (very suck-ass at the time) Naked College Girls site.

Gary told me he'd give me a link on sex.com. Whereever I wanted it to be. So for several months my site was at the VERY top of sex.com. That was back when it was a banner farm.

I looked around and noticed that a lot of free sites had banners up the ass, just like sex.com. But the main entry was always a text link with the words "enter here" or something similar.

SO, I told Gary I wanted a text link at the TOP of sex.com, that stated in LARGE, BOLD letters "Enter Naked College Girls Here".

The traffic came in droves! Things were great until SE Guru took over sex.com. Gary gave him complete control. The first thing he did was remove my link. That's why I hated his ass for the longest time (I like him fine now... we talked things out).

IN A WAY, SE Guru also helped me out. Gary owned 51% of my content business AND my pay site. But since part of our contract was that I'd keep my sex.com link, when SE Guru removed the link the contract was voided. I lost a lot of traffic, but I regained 100% control of my company. Now I have several pay sites and several free sites as well. Life is good.

Anyway... that's part of the reason I believe in sharing. I'd love to help several people rocket ahead, just like Gary did for me.

So, no matter how much "spamming" sex.com reps do on adult message boards, I'll always stand beside Gary and Sex.com.

Thanks, man.

Hell Puppy
03-09-2004, 08:18 PM
You're not getting my beer... :biglaugh:

Frank D
03-09-2004, 08:23 PM
am i lost? is this oprano or oprah?

DonovanPhillips
03-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Frank D@Mar 9 2004, 05:31 PM
I get confused. The spelling is similar.

Winetalk.com
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Frank D@Mar 9 2004, 08:31 PM
Gary???

hahahhaha, don't make me laugh
;-p)))

Mike AI
03-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 9 2004, 08:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 9 2004, 08:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Frank D@Mar 9 2004, 08:31 PM
Gary???

;-p)))[/b][/quote]
HAHA I bet this IS Oprah. Her attorneys tried to block the Oprano trademark!!

Bitch!

Frank D
03-09-2004, 10:58 PM
If I was Gary I would not be posting here. I would be kicking it in the pacific on some island.

stargaze
03-10-2004, 02:21 AM
IN A WAY, SE Guru also helped me out.

Oh really....how? Give me A BREAK!!!

Ding Dong...

sarettah
03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by DonovanPhillips@Mar 9 2004, 08:22 PM
I DO like to give money away.
paypal is sarettah@partyafterdark.com...

for larger amounts please contact me via either icq or email to get my physical address...

Small unmarked bills are preferred, U.S. currency is prefarable although anything that can be exchanged is acceptable....

Always happy yo help folks out.

:okthumb:

Dravyk
03-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I laughed. I cried. I bought the Book of the Month. :lol:

Mike AI
03-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Loyalty is a rare trait in this industry.

Donavan I resepct you for showing it!

DonovanPhillips
03-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by stargaze@Mar 9 2004, 11:29 PM
IN A WAY, SE Guru also helped me out.

Oh really....how? Give me A BREAK!!!

Ding Dong...
Did you actually read the rest of that paragraph? The part that mentions how I regained 100% control of my company? If SE Guru hadn't caused Gary to violate our agreement, Gary would still legally own 51% of my company.

DonovanPhillips
03-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 10 2004, 09:11 PM
Loyalty is a rare trait in this industry.

Donavan I resepct you for showing it!
:rokk:

I'll always defend Gary. Unless he decides to go out of his way to cause me problems, but I don't see that happening.

Gary appreciates the loyalty too. He sends reporters my way all the time. He's constantly being interviewed by the media. When he's finished he always tells them to talk to me as well.

Because of this, I'll have a nice part in an upcoming BBC documentary on the industry.

DonovanPhillips
03-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 9 2004, 05:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 9 2004, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Frank D@Mar 9 2004, 08:31 PM
Gary???

;-p)))[/b][/quote]
I know how much you dislike Gary, but he really did do all those things. There ARE good sides to him. :)

Winetalk.com
03-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by DonovanPhillips+Mar 11 2004, 11:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DonovanPhillips @ Mar 11 2004, 11:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Mar 9 2004, 05:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Frank D@Mar 9 2004, 08:31 PM
Gary???

;-p)))
I know how much you dislike Gary, but he really did do all those things. There ARE good sides to him. :)[/b][/quote]
me? dislike Gary???

are you nuts???

this is our joint response:

http://nocomments.com/Gary-Serge.JPG

DonovanPhillips
03-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Nice photo. Makes me smile. :D

Winetalk.com
03-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DonovanPhillips@Mar 12 2004, 12:22 PM
Nice photo. Makes me smile. :D
I knew you gonna like it
;-))))

Fletch XXX
03-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 12 2004, 04:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 12 2004, 04:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -DonovanPhillips@Mar 11 2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Mar 9 2004, 05:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Frank D@Mar 9 2004, 08:31 PM
Gary???

;-p)))
I know how much you dislike Gary, but he really did do all those things. There ARE good sides to him. :)
me? dislike Gary???

are you nuts???

this is our joint response:

http://nocomments.com/Gary-Serge.JPG[/b][/quote]
nice

hahaha

serge pics are good sometimes.

:P

Winetalk.com
03-15-2004, 05:06 PM
that's what Cherry says
;-)))