PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't cost more money to eat less food.

Almighty Colin
03-03-2004, 07:50 PM
"Many people can't afford to eat the produce they pick," said Drewnowski, who also heads a center for public nutrition. "These people are obese, frankly, because they have no money, and some diets are cheaper than others.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...esity_paradox_1 (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040303/ap_on_he_me/fit_obesity_paradox_1)
-----------

And I say it doesn't cost more money to eat less food.

Peaches
03-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Mar 3 2004, 08:58 PM
And I say it doesn't cost more money to eat less food.
It costs more money to get HEALTHY food. I remember back in my post-divorce poor days all I could afford was pasta, mac n cheese, hotdogs, canned fruits and veggies, etc. Fresh produce, lean cuts of meat, etc. were out of my range financially.

Sure, you can eat less and be hungry, but most people w/ no money are going to eat "filler" so they feel full on less $$$.

My ex's mother was from a large poor family and she told stories of eating potato soup with dumplings - something where a bowl would fill a kid up, but not exactly healthful. :unsure:

stacyglass
03-03-2004, 09:51 PM
rice and beans. cheap

Almighty Colin
03-04-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by stacyglass@Mar 3 2004, 09:59 PM
rice and beans. cheap
:okthumb:

Petr
03-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Rice, pasta, chicken, vegetables, fruits, yoghurts. That's all you need.

Almighty Colin
03-04-2004, 06:10 AM
The author of the story says "We have been pretending that it is easy to replace a diet of soft drinks and fast food with home-cooked meals, fresh fruits and vegetables".

Diet soda costs the same as regular soda. I drink diet cream soda, diet root beer, diet iced tea, and water. Hell, water is free.

A 175 pound guy can eat a bowl of cereal in the morning, a big mac and fries for lunch, and 4 slices of pizza for dinner and LOSE a pound a week. A 125 pound woman can eat a bowl of cereal in the morning, a big mac and fries for lunch, and 2 slices of pizza for dinner and maintain her weight.

It's all the extra snacks, beer, and drinks. The real problem is still discipline.

TeenGodFather
03-04-2004, 06:35 AM
I like food.
Can you tell? :yowsa:

TeenGodFather
03-04-2004, 06:37 AM
However I do drink diet sodas, not because I necessarily want to lose weight.. but because sodas with sugar make my teeth feel uncomfortable. Lol. I have also gotten used to diet sodas, so regular sodas taste funny to me.

I also know that diet sodas probably have so many dangerous elements it's not even funny. Fucking poison. :)

Almighty Colin
03-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by TeenGodFather@Mar 4 2004, 06:45 AM
However I do drink diet sodas, not because I necessarily want to lose weight.. but because sodas with sugar make my teeth feel uncomfortable. Lol. I have also gotten used to diet sodas, so regular sodas taste funny to me.

I also know that diet sodas probably have so many dangerous elements it's not even funny. Fucking poison. :)
That's good because one regular soda a day in excess of your normal calorie requirements will gain you 20 pounds a year.

200 calories*365days/(3500calories/lb) = 20 pounds.

Last edited by Colin at Mar 4 2004, 06:54 AM

slavdogg
03-04-2004, 07:20 AM
I just ate a burito with a soda
i feel good :)

Dianna Vesta
03-04-2004, 07:47 AM
It doesn’t cost a lot to eat healthy. My mother raised 4 kids and worked in a factory. I was the oldest and did most of the cooking. We didn’t eat a lot of processed foods and if you plan correctly it’s cheaper. That is IF you’re eating balanced meals. I guess being in Florida where produce is abundant made this easier. Once a week a guy use to drive into our neighborhood with a big trucked of produce and farm fresh eggs. My mom gave me just enough money to buy enough for the week. Even today I hit the local stands and you’d be amazed what 20 bucks can buy. I think that people are busy, this is true but I think it’s more about laziness.

I have a friend staying with me a few months while she gets relocated to Fort Myers. Most of the time I cook unless I’m really busy and I’ll pop in an organic frozen something and throw a salad together. (btw the cost of natural and organic foods has come way down) I prefer eating around 4ish and she gets home at 6. So I figured I’d leave her on her own to see what she does. Keep in mind that my place always has fresh fruit, produce, rices, pasta’s and I make a bunch of homemade sauces & soups. This woman comes home grabs chips and salsa. She may make a salad but it has only lettuce and tomato. Maybe she’ll throw a frozen pizza in. She has the worse diet and it’s due to laziness. How hard is it to throw a sweet potato in the microwave and make a nice salad?

My biggest food costs are the extras. I buy Maytag Blue Cheese to crumble on my salad, expensive vinegars and oils. I don’t drink really expensive wine, maybe $10.00 a bottle but love wine.

I’m reading this book on running a greenhouse business. It’s fascinating. I’ve been selling tropical fruit trees for a huge profit a few days a week, on the side and I’m amazed at how easy they sell. Now I want to get into organic herbs to sell to restaurants which a huge business....anyhow I started thinking that any person who has the smallest space for growing can yield a nice amount of produce. Hell you can even do this indoors with lights and the setup is not that much. I’ve always had gardens and it’s very rewarding but once again it takes work.

People are lazy. If they weren’t we wouldn’t have so many health problems and obesity.

Almighty Colin
03-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by slavdogg@Mar 4 2004, 07:28 AM
I just ate a burito with a soda
i feel good :)
All night taco bell?

TeenGodFather
03-04-2004, 07:56 AM
I spent €120 today when I went foodshopping.
Getting seafood in finland isn't cheap, but I had to get some.
I got me some:
Fresh tuna, scallops, shrimps, salmon and other goodies..not to forget lamb tenderloin, I was planning to get reindeer tenderloin..but it was so expensive I felt slightly nauseous ;)

About a week's worth of food for €120 is pretty expensive, but it's for 2 people..

Mmmm.. I'd rather spend money on good food than mickyD's, even though my purchases aren't necessarily healthy, depends how I prepare them, I love to eat them. :)

We got BBC food channel this week as a 'free' trial on cable. I'm hooked. hehehe.

Sorry, took the thread a bit off course. :angry:

Carrie
03-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Two of the reasons you're seeing rampant obesity:
1. The economy 20-40 years ago that sent Moms out of the house and to work
2. The women's lib movement that sent Moms out of the house and to work

The kids never learned how to cook.

Last edited by Carrie at Mar 4 2004, 08:57 AM

Dianna Vesta
03-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Mar 4 2004, 08:55 AM

When my son was 12 I told him he had to do his own laundry. He thought I was kidding until they were all dirty and he had nothing to wear to school. Then I taught him how to cook. I was really busy but we made time. I made him cook with me at least a few nights a week. He didn’t like it. Then he clicked in and realized that if he wanted good food he had to cook. He cooked dinner at least twice a week. Now he loves to cook.

Joe Sixpack
03-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Mar 4 2004, 05:55 AM

That's right.

Women belong in the kitchen.

Or getting me my beer.

:stout:

Trev
03-04-2004, 09:11 AM
I eat once a day but only because I find eating chore not because I can't afford to eat.

and the food I do eat I know will come back to haunt me later in life because 'good for me food' tastes like garbage. <_<

Peaches
03-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Carrie@Mar 4 2004, 09:55 AM

Let's not forget the lack of true PE in school. :(

Knowing how to cook has little to do with it, IMHO. We ate fast food growing up maybe once a month. My mother cooked every single night unless we went out to a nice restaurant and it was a full dinner - fruit, bread, meat, at least 2 veggies, milk, etc. But every single one of us has ALWAYS had a weight problem. It didn't help that she was raised in the south and everything was cooked with fat. :P

wig
03-04-2004, 09:30 AM
biggest problem is lack of exercise. ppl simply do not burn more calories than they take in.

everyone in this business knows first hand. typing just does not cut it for exercise. :lol:

Carrie
03-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by wig@Mar 4 2004, 09:38 AM
everyone in this business knows first hand. typing just does not cut it for exercise. :lol:
You should burn for that heresy!!! BURN!! BURN!!!
:P

wig
03-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Carrie+Mar 4 2004, 09:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carrie @ Mar 4 2004, 09:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--wig@Mar 4 2004, 09:38 AM
You should burn for that heresy!!! BURN!! BURN!!!
:P[/b][/quote]
hehe

I should have said "I" know first hand.

Carrie
03-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I don't know what PE is like anymore but boy going through middle and high school (I graduated in '88) I can tell you they worked our asses off!
The last two years of high school we weren't required to take PE, though.

I was a latch-key kid most of my life. My Mom is a southern gal too - translation: cooking = frying in huge globs of melted grease - but she hardly ever cooked. (Still doesn't.)
We'd be lucky to get a real meal cooked 4 times a week. Most of the time it was just throwing something together (like sandwiches), using hamburger helper, or eating leftovers. The only time you could count on her cooking a big meal was thanksgiving and christmas.
But one good thing - as such, food was never a big deal in our house (unless I didn't eat dinner when she *did* cook, lol - then I'd get in big trouble). So I never got that "obsession" with food that many obese people seem to have.

I learned to cook mainly by cookbooks, trial and error and experimentation. I'm still not sure how, but usually what I cook comes out pretty good. Hubby seems to like it. :)
Kelsey is already a nut about cooking. He begs to help cook dinner every night (and he does okay when he helps). It's one of the things I want him to learn.

Rolo
03-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Here is a quick health tip, where you LOSS weight while you eat - the more you eat, the thinner you will become - thats right :)

Eat ice cubes - your body will use more energy melting the ice, than what you gain from the water....

So go ahead and serve yourself a big bowl of ice cubes and loss weight! :okthumb:

Last edited by Rolo at Mar 4 2004, 08:14 AM

TeenGodFather
03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Umm, yummy. Ice.