PDA

View Full Version : Can I have Some Honest Opinions here...

Kt Doodles
03-03-2004, 02:18 PM
I need a few opinions here...namely women. (no offense)

I have been reading this new book by Dr. Laura -
The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.

I personally like her..though I may not agree with EVERYTHING she says, she makes a lot of sense with relationships and such.

Namely, men are simple..it is the women that make them complicated. Such drama they create for nothing.

Anyway, here's the question.

Would it be improper for a husband to give this book as a gift to his wife?? From a woman's point of view, would you be hurt or angry? or welcomly open the opportunity to explore other ideas about relationships and how to handle them?

And for that matter...if you DIDN'T like Dr. Laura in the first place, would you even give the book a chance if you received it??

Winetalk.com
03-03-2004, 02:21 PM
I gave my wife a LIBRARY card as a gift....

get your own conclusion
;-))

how are you, sweety? ready to join the family in Florida???
;-)))

Kt Doodles
03-03-2004, 02:25 PM
;-) Well knowing your wife, she has already used it up!!!

Send her my regards please and tell her to contact me pronto!! I want to catch up.

I am so excited for the move..next week!! Woo hoo!!!
So when are we going to get togther????

My dear Serge, you are already cracking me up on this board, you are so damn witty!! Doesn't anyone else see?? *wink*

Speaking of the library, read any good books lately???

Peaches
03-03-2004, 02:26 PM
There are tons of bad gifts - I've been the recipient of many and have probably given many myself. :P

As far as a husband giving his wife this book, I suppose it all depends on the spirit in which it was given. I probably would have laughed and donated to the library...where LL would be able to read it with her library card. :awinky:

Kt Doodles
03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Haha -

the circle of giving continues!!!

And to think Serge, you could have gone to Peaches in the first place! :P

Winetalk.com
03-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Kt Doodles@Mar 3 2004, 02:33 PM
;-) Well knowing your wife, she has already used it up!!!

Send her my regards please and tell her to contact me pronto!! I want to catch up.

I am so excited for the move..next week!! Woo hoo!!!
So when are we going to get togther????

My dear Serge, you are already cracking me up on this board, you are so damn witty!! Doesn't anyone else see?? *wink*

Speaking of the library, read any good books lately???
re: new books

we read EVERYTHING Dan Brown wrote, from the first one
"Digital Fortress" to the last one you gave us and here is my review:

Demon and Angels - 10, similar to DVCode
Deception Point -9
Digital Fortress - 7

according to Mike, you and him will stop on your way to Noah's wedding for couple days,
if not, we get together for SURE week after we get back from Amsterdam to go to:
Orlando and West Coast (Florida)

I'll pass Sue you were looking for her and PLEASE,
don't corrupt her mind!
;_)))

Mike AI
03-03-2004, 02:51 PM
I am not sure what is in this book from Dr. Laura - but Katie have been being REAL nice to me lately...

I even got an offer for a massage... which is a great first step.

Maybe by our 10th Anniversary I will get the actual massage!

:P

TheEnforcer
03-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Hmmm.. I'd be interested to know what this book has to say about what keeps us happy.

Last edited by TheEnforcer at Mar 3 2004, 03:02 PM

Kt Doodles
03-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I got Digitl Fortress and wasn't as blown away by it as the DaVinci Code, but I will have to look out for the other two.

Speaking of great books, ever read anything by Wally Lamb??
He only has two books, but I really really loved

I know this much is True. Ever read it??

And for my darling husband....
didn't your mother teach you that some things were worth waiting for???

Your "massage" is on it's way...but I wouldn't get married to the idea of it being a physcial massage....couldn't I just massage your mind a bit.
that's MUCH easier for me! ;-)

Kt Doodles
03-03-2004, 03:04 PM
As for the Dr. Laura book itself...

This is not a book TELLING you how to run a happy marriage.

This is simply a book opening your eyes to the little things that SUSTAIN a happy marriage.

In (my humble opinion), many women forget that they took vows to the man that will be there for the rest of her life. They should prioritize him and their children at the top of the list.

Unfortunately many women get caught up in everyday life and no longer have time for the man. TO please him, or herself for that matter.

For me, I am reading this book not cause I want to fix a broken marriage, but because I want to continue with the awesome one that makes me happy and grateful everyday.

Why push that to the back burner and let it crumble..that is my support and foundation for how I plan to succeed in the rest of my life.

Without happiness at home, misery will soon take over.

Mike AI
03-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Now everyone know why I am married!

:D

Dianna Vesta
03-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Kt Doodles@Mar 3 2004, 03:04 PM
Your "massage" is on it's way...but I wouldn't get married to the idea of it being a physcial massage....couldn't I just massage your mind a bit.
that's MUCH easier for me! ;-)

I wondered if this was a compliment or an insult. Lol- too much!

Dr. Laura remind me of John Gray (Men are from Mars). I’m not sure these methods can apply to all couples. I full heartily agree that both parties need to be good to each other. That you both need to pay attention to each other. The problem has always been that men and women speak two different languages. They just see things differently. Doesn’t make it bad just complicated.

I enjoy being spoiled. Not just a little but a lot. I treat my lover well in other ways and equally spoil them. It’s all about the dynamic for me. Doesn’t matter so much who does what but that we have a nice energy happening. Chemistry is the key. If I don’t have that then I have nothing else. All the massage and money won’t mean nothing.

leeb
03-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike AI@Mar 3 2004, 11:59 AM
I am not sure what is in this book from Dr. Laura - but Katie have been being REAL nice to me lately...

mike.... i agree with you, my mom got that book for keri and she read it on the plane a few weeks ago and WOW have i noticed a difference.

Almighty Colin
03-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by TheEnforcer@Mar 3 2004, 03:01 PM
Hmmm.. I'd be interested to know what this book has to say about what keeps us happy.
Sex and football?

Mike AI
03-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by leeb+Mar 3 2004, 03:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leeb @ Mar 3 2004, 03:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Mike AI@Mar 3 2004, 11:59 AM

mike.... i agree with you, my mom got that book for keri and she read it on the plane a few weeks ago and WOW have i noticed a difference.[/b][/quote]

FritOLee is alive!!!

How is the Chippery doing?

TheEnforcer
03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Mar 3 2004, 03:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Mar 3 2004, 03:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--TheEnforcer@Mar 3 2004, 03:01 PM
Sex and football?[/b][/quote]
Hahaha.... certainly would be a good start.

dantheman
03-03-2004, 03:46 PM
nice to see katie posting, even though she kicked my butt last night in poker

: )))

LadyLaw
03-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Katie sweetheart!! You got mail. :D

IMHO, gifts from man to wife should generally not include industrial-type things with a power cord (like table saws, vacumn cleanners, and new monitors for computers you personally never use).

Books written for women about how to improve their relationship with men should be read BY THE MAN FIRST before they give the book as a gift to their woman. (As proof they put some thought into this gift.) I know most men just love those kinds of relationship-self-help books. hahahahahaaa

I can't wait to get you back to Florida. It's been tooooo long! :inlove: :inlove:

Mike AI
03-03-2004, 03:51 PM
All I have to say is that Dr. Phil is a sell out!!

Dr. laura is much better!

We need to line up a cage fight between those 2!

Dianna Vesta
03-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Mar 3 2004, 03:56 PM
Books written for women about how to improve their relationship with men should be read BY THE MAN FIRST before they give the book as a gift to their woman. (As proof they put some thought into this gift.) I know most men just love those kinds of relationship-self-help books. hahahahahaaa

hey LL, long time.

I agree with this but don't most men flip through it, see if it benefits them and then pass it along?

Peaches
03-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Mar 3 2004, 04:56 PM
IMHO, gifts from man to wife should generally not include industrial-type things with a power cord (like table saws, vacumn cleanners, and new monitors for computers you personally never use).
You be quiet! I would love all those things. :)

Dianna Vesta
03-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Mar 3 2004, 04:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Mar 3 2004, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--LadyLaw@Mar 3 2004, 04:56 PM
You be quiet! I would love all those things. :)[/b][/quote]
My first husband bought me a weed eater. i was excited but if it happened today I'd have to shove it up his ass. lol

LadyLaw
03-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Dear Dianna:

Hey!! It's good to say hello again. I've had a crazy new year so far, the best of times and the worst of times, but the dust is settling, and I'm looking forward to being out of my self-imposed exile and back in the swing of things.

In the end, the only person you can change in a relationship is yourself. If a guy is thinking his wife should read a book to improve the marriage, the better course of action would be for him to buy books for himself, and work on his own shit.

Scanning a book for spousal goodies you might get from your wife and then giving her the book so she can work on "herself", is the kind of drive-by, self-help referral I would personally hate.

Peaches
03-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Mar 3 2004, 05:18 PM
In the end, the only person you can change in a relationship is yourself. If a guy is thinking his wife should read a book to improve the marriage, the better course of action would be for him to buy books for himself, and work on his own shit.

Scanning a book for spousal goodies you might get from your wife and then giving her the book so she can work on "herself", is the kind of drive-by, self-help referral I would personally hate.
Or even read/explore something together :)

But you're right - if you want a change in your relationship, buying the other one a book ain't gonna cut it. I would suspect that any changes brought about that route would be temporary :(

LadyLaw
03-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Peaches,

If I still had it, I'd give you the table saw my ex gave "me" for Christmas one year. You would appreciate it more than I did. :D

Dianna Vesta
03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by LadyLaw@Mar 3 2004, 04:18 PM
Dear Dianna:

Hey!! It's good to say hello again. I've had a crazy new year so far, the best of times and the worst of times, but the dust is settling, and I'm looking forward to being out of my self-imposed exile and back in the swing of things.

Nice to see you and happy to see that you are. I would sure love to see you again. Page me some time. I'd love to hear what you're up to.

Lisa
03-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Colin@Mar 4 2004, 07:35 AM
Sex and football?
Hell that would keep ME happy! :D

Long as it was either rugby code and not that American football that I just don't understand! :)

Peaches
03-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Lisa+Mar 3 2004, 06:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lisa @ Mar 3 2004, 06:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Colin@Mar 4 2004, 07:35 AM
Sex and football?
Hell that would keep ME happy! :D

Long as it was either rugby code and not that American football that I just don't understand! :)[/b][/quote]
Hehehe, you and I are on the same wavelength - I was thinking sex and a 2nd TV would keep me happy. :P

leeb
03-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mike AI+Mar 3 2004, 12:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike AI @ Mar 3 2004, 12:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -leeb@Mar 3 2004, 03:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Mike AI@Mar 3 2004, 11:59 AM

mike.... i agree with you, my mom got that book for keri and she read it on the plane a few weeks ago and WOW have i noticed a difference.

FritOLee is alive!!!

How is the Chippery doing?[/b][/quote]
Chippery is coming along great. Opened our first corporate location and have another one opening in 2 weeks. Then we'll be moving into the airports, amusement parks and college campuses....gonna be good.

Maybe one of these days we'll get one down in Nawlins.

Mike AI
03-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by leeb+Mar 4 2004, 11:31 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leeb @ Mar 4 2004, 11:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Mike AI@Mar 3 2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by -leeb@Mar 3 2004, 03:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Mike AI@Mar 3 2004, 11:59 AM

FritOLee is alive!!!

How is the Chippery doing?
Chippery is coming along great. Opened our first corporate location and have another one opening in 2 weeks. Then we'll be moving into the airports, amusement parks and college campuses....gonna be good.

Maybe one of these days we'll get one down in Nawlins.[/b][/quote]

Don't waste your time trying to do busines in NO.

Set up one in Tampa! :okthumb:

shawcutie
03-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Hey Girls :bwave:

I just bought The Da Vinci Code and Tuesdays With Morrie. I have started reading Tuesdays With Morrie, anybody here read it? Its a great book!!

Peaches
03-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by shawcutie@Mar 4 2004, 11:00 PM
I have started reading Tuesdays With Morrie, anybody here read it? Its a great book!!
I read it when it was first released. Get your hankie out - you're going to need it. :cryin: