PDA

View Full Version : Passions of Christ

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 03:09 PM
I just watched passions of christ for my first time last night..... Alls i can say is WOW! Didnt know that things went that way back then.....i couldnt imagine the pain and torture! :grrr:

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:19 PM
how did the movie end?

OldJeff
03-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 03:27 PM
how did the movie end?
I just spit water all over my keyboard, LMAO

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 03:25 PM
lol guess u'll just have to wait and watch serge :P

Mike AI
03-01-2004, 03:27 PM
I have heard both possitive and negative on the movie.

From what I understand its pretty intense, and very violent. There is no doubt back in the day violence was a fact of life.

I will definately see the movie, just need to be in the right frame of mind.

One thing I find funny is that a lot of people have slammed the movie yet its still making tons of money. Many people underestimate the amount of Christians in the United States. Not all of them are the wacko fundamentalist liberals always try to pin things on.

SykkBoy
03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Some of us agnostics are going to give Mel Gibson our money this week too...

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I find ONE historical inaccuracy...
Christ was allegedly crucified in the Jerusalem, which is a desert, I know, I've been there.

There are no trees in the desert,
which makes crosses VERY valuable.

Would they let some beaten up mailnurishes prisoner carry an expensive cross and risk it been broken or stolen????

NO FUCKING WAY!
It would be MORE beleivable if he was DROWNED at the end!
;-))))

brandyalexander
03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 12:38 PM
Would they let some beaten up mailnurishes prisoner carry an expensive cross and risk it been broken or stolen????

Serge, what fucktard would try to steal a cross from the Roman Legioniares while they were in the middle of a crucifixtion? LOL

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Thats why i wished i understood the bible more, that way i knew what really went on AND WHERE that way i knew everything of what happened...i know some but id say half or less :)

I heard that a few people died from having a heartattack watching this movie, thats how dramatical it was for them :(

Last edited by WiLcOnE at Mar 1 2004, 03:44 PM

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander+Mar 1 2004, 03:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brandyalexander @ Mar 1 2004, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 12:38 PM

Serge, what fucktard would try to steal a cross from the Roman Legioniares while they were in the middle of a crucifixtion? LOL[/b][/quote]
you are a moron, aren't you????

never heard of...Ben Hur!!?????

he was killing Romans for less than a pice of a valuable wood!

Piece of wood in the desert during nite is more valuable than silver!
Makes great camp fire!
;-))))

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 03:38 PM
A couple of my buddies while they were in the theatre said half were crying during and after the movie....Wouldnt even get out of there chairs after the movie, just sat there and thought about it...

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 03:42 PM
Thats why i wished i understood the bible more, that way i knew what really went on AND WHERE that way i knew everything of what happened...i know some but id say half or less :)

I heard that a few people died from having a heartattack watching this movie, thats how dramatical it was for them :(
I'll die from heart attack if
1) I find evidence that God really exist
2) if I find evidence that Christ ever existed
3) if I start beleiving that Bible is a historical document....

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 03:46 PM
A couple of my buddies while they were in the theatre said half were crying during and after the movie....Wouldnt even get out of there chairs after the movie, just sat there and thought about it...
if I were you, I'd be chosing swinging buddies more carefully!
;-))))

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 03:46 PM
are you an athiest serge?

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE+Mar 1 2004, 03:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WiLcOnE @ Mar 1 2004, 03:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 03:46 PM
are you an athiest serge?[/b][/quote]
yes, very hardcore one!
without proof or PREPAYMENT,
I don't beleive anything!

is that wrong?
;-))))

JR
03-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 12:42 PM

I can sum it up for you;

Some guy shows up. little is known about his family, childhood, brothers and sisters. He claims he is something. others cliam he is not. Some claim he did some magic stuff that apparently was somehow different than the other "healers" and "prophets" of the time. Finally he decided to challenge "The Man". "The Man" beat him and nailed him to a piece of wood. His bodied was not recovered and no one knows why... which in some peoples mind, leaves the only possible and rational conclusion that he must have came back to life and walked away.

most agree he promised to come back.

most agree he didn't.

though he preached love, countless millions of people were slaughtered in his name over the centuries because "spreading the love" was always a great excuse to conquer, rob, rape and pillage.

some are still waiting him to come back.

fewer and fewer care as both time and science progress.

Last edited by JR at Mar 1 2004, 12:58 PM

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 03:54 PM
yes, very hardcore one!

is that wrong?
;-))))
Not at all, everyone beleives in something

JR
03-01-2004, 03:52 PM
funny how some would look at the Taliban and scoff at their beliefs as being primitive and stupid... as if believing in the son of an all powerful ghost who one day got bored and created the universe makes a lot of sense.

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JR@Mar 1 2004, 03:57 PM
His bodied was not recovered and no one knows why which in some peoples mind leaves the only possible and rational conclusion that he must have came back to life and walked away.

this is an easiest part, I found the explanation why his body was never found.

As I mentioned earlier,
WOOD and crosses were EXPENSIVE,
there was a LONG waiting list for crucifictions!
Knowing Roman efficiency,
as soon as one body is done,
it was burnt and replaced with another body waiting in line.

Britts had no problems with wood/axes, so they chopped the heads off and put them on all historical London bridges.

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE+Mar 1 2004, 04:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WiLcOnE @ Mar 1 2004, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 03:54 PM
yes, very hardcore one!

is that wrong?
;-))))
Not at all, everyone beleives in something[/b][/quote]
I beleive in pre-payments,
thsi diety NEVER stirred me wrong
;_))))

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by JR@Mar 1 2004, 04:00 PM
funny how some would look at the Taliban and scoff at their beliefs as being primitive and stupid... as if believing in the son of an all powerful ghost who one day got bored and created the universe makes a lot of sense.
JR, when I get to Hell,
should I request a double room for you to share eventually?
We can have a good times for all eternity!
;-))))

Vick
Yeah I don't know why so many people are in a hurry to see this movie ....

I mean you know how it's going to end already ......

...... why not just stay home and wait for it to come out on DVD?

and for the record I think this movie has the potential to be VERY BAD for America

While I'm an atheist I don't have much problem with anyone's choice of worship as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else, does no harm and isn't pushed on anyone

This movie may start a huge Christan movement in America - which could be ok until Christians start trying to dictate laws which effect me and trying to force their religion on me (which is a part of some Christianity)

on the other hand Christianity and a firm belief in God are great for some, particular those who keep it to themselves and their places of worship

Example - am old high school chum of mine(with whom I was very close in High School) looked me up in the past few year. He has been over 2 years without a drink of Alcohol (he was a raging Alcoholic which landing him in a few bad situations). His faith in a higher power coupled with his bible studies and semi-regular church going (he didn't do AA) have helped him through not drinking and particularly through trying times such as the passing of his Father this January

We occasionally talk religion (but only if I bring it up) as I find comparative religions interesting but he respects my position that religion is superstition as I respect what his beliefs are and I acknowledge what his beliefs have help him accomplish

and he has no problem with my drinking while we watch football or go out to dinner

WiLcOnE
ive had no belief other then myself and in god....but i can see why your saying without proof or prepayment.....totally understandable.

dantheman
03-01-2004, 03:59 PM
vick, that post made me thristy : ))

Vick
03-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by dantheman@Mar 1 2004, 04:07 PM
vick, that post made me thristy : ))
:stout: :stout: :stout:

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Yah vick i was just curious to see how they showed everything thats all, im not for any religion myself.....i just believe in god thats all...

brandyalexander
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Serge, your "faith" there is no God is also a faith-based belief system, unless you are an all knowing and all seeing God yourself, with a perfect knowledge of all that is and isn't in this universe.

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 04:12 PM
Yah vick i was just curious to see how they showed everything thats all, im not for any religion myself.....i just believe in god thats all...
Woody Allen's varaity beleiver?

"I believe that there's an intelligence to the universe with the exception of parts of New Jersey."

;_)))

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 04:13 PM
Serge, your "faith" there is no God is also a faith-based belief system, unless you are an all knowing and all seeing God yourself, with a perfect knowledge of all that is and isn't in this universe.
now repeat the same thing in English I understand....moron!

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 04:17 PM

Woody Allen's varaity beleiver?

i guess so......just something ive always believed in, i mean we might as well believe in something :)

brandyalexander
03-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Logically, Athieism requires faith. You have faith you're right there is no God. But, unless you know everything, see everything, you can't be 100% sure. Faith bridges the gap between what you absolutely know (1%?) and everything else (99%). You share the same "faith" Mel Gibson has, you're just on the other side of the fence.

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 04:39 PM
Logically, Athieism requires faith. You have faith you're right there is no God. But, unless you know everything, see everything, you can't be 100% sure. Faith bridges the gap between what you absolutely know (1%?) and everything else (99%). You share the same "faith" Mel Gibson has, you're just on the other side of the fence.
yup yup

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 04:39 PM
R_n, is that you? Have you lost your mind???
PROVE me you aren't him,
show me your tits!
;-))))

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE+Mar 1 2004, 04:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WiLcOnE @ Mar 1 2004, 04:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 04:39 PM
yup yup[/b][/quote]
you too!
;-)))

tits are welcomed!
;_)))

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 04:35 PM
hahah serge u sure do like this topic dont ya

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 04:43 PM
ANY tits are better than my dick,
run a poll if you don't beleive me
;-))))

Dianna Vesta
03-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by JR+Mar 1 2004, 03:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JR @ Mar 1 2004, 03:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 12:42 PM

I can sum it up for you;

Some guy shows up. little is known about his family, childhood, brothers and sisters. He claims he is something. others cliam he is not. Some claim he did some magic stuff that apparently was somehow different than the other "healers" and "prophets" of the time. Finally he decided to challenge "The Man". "The Man" beat him and nailed him to a piece of wood. His bodied was not recovered and no one knows why... which in some peoples mind, leaves the only possible and rational conclusion that he must have came back to life and walked away.

most agree he promised to come back.

most agree he didn't.

though he preached love, countless millions of people were slaughtered in his name over the centuries because "spreading the love" was always a great excuse to conquer, rob, rape and pillage.

some are still waiting him to come back.

fewer and fewer care as both time and science progress.[/b][/quote]
that pretty well sums it up. lets not forget about all the *others* who tried to emulate him.

A man is only as great as you allow him to be.

Joe Sixpack
03-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 01:39 PM
Logically, Athieism requires faith. You have faith you're right there is no God.
You misunderstand atheism.

Atheism is not necessarily denying the existance of god but an absence of belief in god.

This does not require faith.

Last edited by Joe Sixpack at Mar 1 2004, 01:46 PM

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack+Mar 1 2004, 04:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe Sixpack @ Mar 1 2004, 04:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 01:39 PM
Logically, Athieism requires faith. You have faith you're right there is no God.

Atheism is not necessarily denying the existance of god but an absence of belief in god.

This does not require faith.[/b][/quote]
right on the money, my man!

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano+Mar 1 2004, 04:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Serge_Oprano @ Mar 1 2004, 04:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 04:43 PM
;-))))[/b][/quote]
oh no, 100% agreement with that one

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by WiLcOnE+Mar 1 2004, 04:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WiLcOnE @ Mar 1 2004, 04:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 04:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--WiLcOnE@Mar 1 2004, 04:43 PM
;-))))
oh no, 100% agreement with that one[/b][/quote]
how do YOU know???

Think careful about your answer, I am a MARRIED man!
;-))))

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Perhaps there will be an afterlife, "but no one will know where it's being held."20

Boris confronts Sonia in "Love and Death" with his anxiety about the meaning of life and the existence of God:

Boris: What if there is no God? ... What if we're just a bunch of absurd people who are running around with no rhyme or reason?

Sonia: But if there is no God, then life has no meaning. Why go on living? Why not just commit suicide?

Boris: Well, let's not get hysterical! I could be wrong. I'd hate to blow my brains out and then read in the papers they found something.

WiLcOnE
03-01-2004, 04:52 PM
no im sure i like tits better then i like your dick....

final answer :rokk:

brandyalexander
03-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack+Mar 1 2004, 01:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe Sixpack @ Mar 1 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 01:39 PM

This does not require faith.[/b][/quote]
Wrong. Atheism - in its simplest definition (a, "without" + theist "God" - denies the existence of God, whereas agnosticism suggests the presence or absence of God cannot be proven. Huxley invented the term "agnostic" from the Greek a, "without" + gnostikos, “not knowing”.

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander+Mar 1 2004, 05:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brandyalexander @ Mar 1 2004, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Joe Sixpack@Mar 1 2004, 01:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 01:39 PM

Wrong. Atheism - in its simplest definition (a, "without" + theist "God" - denies the existence of God, whereas agnosticism suggests the presence or absence of God cannot be proven. Huxley invented the term "agnostic" from the Greek a, "without" + gnostikos, “not knowing”.[/b][/quote]
One of the recurring themes in "Love and Death" is Boris' quest to receive some kind of sign from God: "If I could see a miracle, just one miracle.

If I could see a burning bush, or the seas part, or my Uncle Sasha pick up a check." Or again, "if only God would give me some sign. If He would just speak to me once, anything, one sentence, two words.

If He would just cough." Near the end of the film, when he finally sees an angel of God who tells him that he will be saved, he responds with the kind of trust one would expect of one who had been frustrated and insecure for so long: "I shall walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

In fact, now that I think of it, I shall run through the valley of the shadow of death because you get out of the valley quicker that way." Relieved and hopeful because of God's promise and the angel's appearance, it still seems wise to take advantage of the situation quickly and not trust that such a good thing will last.

Joe Sixpack
03-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by brandyalexander+Mar 1 2004, 02:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brandyalexander @ Mar 1 2004, 02:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Joe Sixpack@Mar 1 2004, 01:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--brandyalexander@Mar 1 2004, 01:39 PM

Wrong. Atheism - in its simplest definition (a, "without" + theist "God" - denies the existence of God, whereas agnosticism suggests the presence or absence of God cannot be proven. Huxley invented the term "agnostic" from the Greek a, "without" + gnostikos, “not knowing”.[/b][/quote]
Sorry, you are wrong.

Atheism is a-theism. Without theism or without belief in God.

Agnosticism says nothing about belief in God.

You either have a belief or you don't. If you are not sure, you lack belief and are therefore an atheist not an agnostic.

Agnosticism is an untennable philosophical position. It is fence-sitting where there can be no fence-sitting.

Last edited by Joe Sixpack at Mar 1 2004, 02:15 PM

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Joe,
So, when Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, if you go for all these fairy tales, that evil woman convinced the man to eat the apple, but the apple came from the Tree of Knowledge. And the punishment that was then handed down, the woman gets to bleed and the guy's got to go to work, is the result of a man desiring, because his woman suggested that it would be a good idea, that he get all the knowledge that was supposedly the property and domain of God. So, that right away sets up Christianity as an anti- intellectual religion. You never want to be that smart. If you're a woman, it's going to be running down your leg, and if you're a guy, you're going to be in the salt mines for the rest of your life. So, just be a dumb fuck and you'll all go to heaven. That's the subtext of Christianity. [Frank Zappa]

Joe Sixpack
03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 02:18 PM
Joe,
So, when Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, if you go for all these fairy tales, that evil woman convinced the man to eat the apple, but the apple came from the Tree of Knowledge. And the punishment that was then handed down, the woman gets to bleed and the guy's got to go to work, is the result of a man desiring, because his woman suggested that it would be a good idea, that he get all the knowledge that was supposedly the property and domain of God. So, that right away sets up Christianity as an anti- intellectual religion. You never want to be that smart. If you're a woman, it's going to be running down your leg, and if you're a guy, you're going to be in the salt mines for the rest of your life. So, just be a dumb fuck and you'll all go to heaven. That's the subtext of Christianity. [Frank Zappa]
Of course Christianity is anti-intellectual.

Christians don't question their beliefs. It is based upon blind faith.

Winetalk.com
03-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Joe Sixpack+Mar 1 2004, 05:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joe Sixpack @ Mar 1 2004, 05:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 02:18 PM
Joe,
Of course Christianity is anti-intellectual.

Christians don't question their beliefs. It is based upon blind faith.[/b][/quote]
and that makes us...INTELLECTUALS!

If I respect you and you respect me...we are BOTH respectable people!
;-))))

Vick
03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
all I can say about the direction this thread has taken is ...

Jesus Fucking Christ

JR
03-01-2004, 06:21 PM
50 People who do not understand that JR is the only true Messiah

Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Mar 1 2004, 01:06 PM

JR, when I get to Hell,
should I request a double room for you to share eventually?
We can have a good times for all eternity!
;-))))
sure!!!

... but how will we keep the Vodka cold?

:(

Last edited by JR at Mar 1 2004, 03:30 PM

bucklover
03-02-2004, 01:01 PM
God bless Mel! he rocks!

turbomax
03-02-2004, 01:04 PM
great movie !!

aeon
03-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Vick@Mar 1 2004, 01:06 PM
We occasionally talk religion (but only if I bring it up) as I find comparative religions interesting but he respects my position that religion is superstition as I respect what his beliefs are and I acknowledge what his beliefs have help him accomplish
science is the new religion..with it's metaphysical concept of "causation"...that the priesthood of determinism follows just as blindly as an evangelical preacher...

anyway - if yer interested in comparative studies - pm me...I have some books you might dig checking out.

best of luck -
aeon