PDA

View Full Version : Linux Networking

clemsontiger
02-29-2004, 11:15 PM
OK, here is the situation: I have 2 Network Interface Cards in my older computer. I have Linux (Red Hat 9) running on the computer. I want one NIC to take the internet connection and one to send it through to the new computer. For some reason, Linux won't let me do this. I've tried making a bridge using the brctl command and all that did was disable both NIC's. I got the network to work when it was Windows OS's on both computers, so I know it's not the cables. I actually rigged a crossover cable. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Peaches
03-01-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm simply amazed you didn't ask me to help you.......... :P

Hell Puppy
03-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by clemsontiger@Feb 29 2004, 11:23 PM
OK, here is the situation: I have 2 Network Interface Cards in my older computer. I have Linux (Red Hat 9) running on the computer. I want one NIC to take the internet connection and one to send it through to the new computer. For some reason, Linux won't let me do this. I've tried making a bridge using the brctl command and all that did was disable both NIC's. I got the network to work when it was Windows OS's on both computers, so I know it's not the cables. I actually rigged a crossover cable. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
I assume you're trying to make a firewall/router kinda thing out of it?

First off make sure with ifconfig that you can see both cards, that'll tell you if you've got the drivers working right.

From there, you need to setup the routing. It's not too tough with Redhat 7.1 and later as you can use iptables.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTuto...orkGateway.html (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialIptablesNetworkGateway.html)

Peaches
03-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Mar 1 2004, 01:40 AM
AFAIK, he's merely trying to make one computer talk to the other via the network. And considering he'll have to completely dismantle it in 6 weeks, he's just doing it to prove to himself that he can. :awinky:

He's a tinkerer. I've known this since he was 4 and he took apart my camera, clock radio, telephone and VCR in a period of about 6 months to see how they worked. :rolleyes:

clemsontiger
03-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy+Mar 1 2004, 01:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hell Puppy @ Mar 1 2004, 01:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--clemsontiger@Feb 29 2004, 11:23 PM

First off make sure with ifconfig that you can see both cards, that'll tell you if you've got the drivers working right.

From there, you need to setup the routing. It's not too tough with Redhat 7.1 and later as you can use iptables.

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTuto...orkGateway.html (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialIptablesNetworkGateway.html)[/b][/quote]
Already know both cards are read. ifconfig shows both, but it also shows a loopback adapter. Not sure if that's causing any kind of interference in the situation.

Edit: Also, does iptables let DHCP determine an IP or do I have to do it manually? The ISP I have, for some strange reason, gives different IP's depending on what day it is.

Last edited by clemsontiger at Mar 1 2004, 01:52 AM

Hell Puppy
03-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by clemsontiger+Mar 1 2004, 12:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clemsontiger @ Mar 1 2004, 12:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -Hell Puppy@Mar 1 2004, 01:40 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--clemsontiger@Feb 29 2004, 11:23 PM

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTuto...orkGateway.html (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialIptablesNetworkGateway.html)
Already know both cards are read. ifconfig shows both, but it also shows a loopback adapter. Not sure if that's causing any kind of interference in the situation.

Edit: Also, does iptables let DHCP determine an IP or do I have to do it manually? The ISP I have, for some strange reason, gives different IP's depending on what day it is.[/b][/quote]
Wouldn't matter.

Let the outside NIC have all of the world addresses, and make your internal network on the other side a "10.x.x.x" other network that wont route to the world. That way it doesn't matter what IP actually ends up assigned to that outside card, you know where the packets are supposed to go.

clemsontiger
03-01-2004, 01:56 AM
That site got both NIC's to activate, but then I had no connection on either computer.