PDA

View Full Version : "Hey, baby. What's your sign?"

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Single again. So, about half the time, within 15 minutes of starting to talk to a girl she starts asking questions about my sign. "Hey, baby. What's your sign?" Some things hardly ever change. I usually have fleeting thoughts of telling her I'm an Ophiuchus but then I'd have to explain all about the 13th sign and so on and well, that's not all that fun. All she wants to know at that point is whether a Gemini and a Sagittarius are compatible.

So a 2003 poll says that 36% of women and 25% of men believe in the accuracy of astrology. Quite a difference. Relatively. The same poll says that 43% of people between the age of 25 and 29 believe in astrology. When combined, this makes sense. So maybe half of all women between the age of 25 and 29 believe in astrology. You really can't tell for sure from the numbers but that's a good enough guess.

So a question for those who, like me, don't believe. What is the function of astrology? I'm guessing it serves a useful function for people. Just like religion provides so many things that people need. Astrology must too.

I've met plenty enough girls over the years that have a "Love Signs" book on their shelf. Is astrology a way for people to make a connection when there is none?

Why are women so much more likely to believe in astrology than men?

Oh, yeah. And if you believe .. huh? :zoinks:

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 05:26 AM
Unfortunately, Meni doesn't have the answer. http://www.askmeni.com but he does have a section on my girl, Charlize Theron.

cj
02-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Colin, I believe in the ability to predict flows of energy through planetary alignment ... but know it would be unlikely to be done by a lady in a purple flowing dress and a crystal ball behind a chiffon curtain.

Like you said ... astrology has the same appeal as religion - a way to explain the unexplainable - if we have a book to guide us with the occasional coincidence, it 'all makes sense'

I almost always read my starsign, but i really couldn't tell you why ... i don't believe it but sometimes i find it funny how accurate it is - note i said sometimes! Occasionally it will be so specific that your faith is restored for the next 10 times when its bullshit ...

One thing I do know for sure is that on a web site for women lots of astrology is essential ... its a cute marketing concept & fun to build - we have sexual star signs where we profile each star signs best sexual position, we have monthly erotic astrology and an annual review of 'the year ahead'.

Its all harmless and we always use it to issue positive advice like 'take some time out for yourself this month virgo with a long sensual bath & some solo romance' ...

but yes you are right, its mostly just crap ... but chicks dig it!!

chodadog
02-26-2004, 07:17 AM
A little off topic, but my mom reads cards. Not in the psychic see the future nonsense, though. She uses them as a form of therapy for the people she reads. Example, say she pulls up a card about relationships, and some other card that means things aren't good, it gets the person to open up and talk about things that they didn't even realise were bothering them. It's actually pretty interesting. Just a legitimate use of tarrot cards.

Can't find any legit use of astrology, though. Too specific and predictive to have any benefit to anyone.

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by cj@Feb 26 2004, 06:46 AM
but yes you are right, its mostly just crap ... but chicks dig it!!
No doubt. I always throw out something like "You're a Gemini, aren't you?"
"Libra". Ahh, you do seem well balanced (noting her tits). I have no idea what I'm saying. Like you said, chicks dig it.

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 07:37 AM
My father met his current wife giving psychic readings at a party. Wonder what he told her.

Dianna Vesta
02-26-2004, 07:47 AM
I’m pretty open-minded about a lot of things. When it comes to spirituality and all things cosmic I think more women do tend to gravitate towards it. Women are much more emotionally driven and seek to satisfy issues of the heart.

I don’t follow any rules. I don’t consider myself involved in any one religion or adhere to one philosophy. I study them all and form my own opinions. I read tarot, IChing and every now and then I consult with a lady in a purple flower dress named Flash. She does astrology, tarot and spiritual guidance. I don’t choose these people easily. She is rarely wrong, in fact so far never. I follow my own chart; I watch the movements of the planets and over the years have learned that there are times I’ll just spin my wheels trying to do something when mercury is in retrograde. Lol- I like IChing the most. I’ve been doing this since I was in my early 20’s.

I lend more towards the base of metaphysics. Everything else is just tools or a type of language that helps me feel connected to the universe. There are times when I need them and other times I don’t but when it comes to Astrology I’m always checking it out.

There are generalizations with signs but to be honest you don’t really know unless you’ve done a proper chart. This would include your birth place, the time, year, etc. All of this plays a factor in the position of the planets at that time and the movement of them. Your rising sign is also very important. I’m Taurus with Capricorn rising. I am very compatible with Capricorns, cancer and Virgo.

Nickatilynx
02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Colin@Feb 26 2004, 04:45 AM
My father met his current wife giving psychic readings at a party. Wonder what he told her.
Well one thing we know , is she didn't have to tell him anything.

Cause like ,wow!!! He already knew , like, everything! ;-)))

Oh and I'm a gemini. ;-0))

Edd
02-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Feb 26 2004, 10:51 AM
are not - you're a pikey gypo tosspot! :awinky:

Nickatilynx
02-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Edd+Feb 26 2004, 08:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Edd @ Feb 26 2004, 08:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nickatilynx@Feb 26 2004, 10:51 AM
are not - you're a pikey gypo tosspot! :awinky:[/b][/quote]
One can be both!! ;-)

I also like long walks looking for things to nick , nicking things ,and selling lucky heather.

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Feb 26 2004, 10:51 AM
Well one thing we know , is she didn't have to tell him anything.
Knowing my father, I'm guessing he went for "you will sleep with a handsome bearded man tonight".

Nickatilynx
02-26-2004, 11:12 AM
And I HOPE she said ,quick as a flash , " Really? Do you know any?"

;-))))

Vick
02-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Psssss if psychics could really foretell the future why don't they know the winning lottery numbers and cash in and not have to work a phone line

I've never called the psychic hot line, I figure if they were really psychic they would already know so I don't have to call, if it's really important the psychic should call me

Wait maybe that's a new hook, the recored message from a psychic telling you they have a special forecast for you

CALL NOW only 49.99 for your genuine imitation free sample

Carrie
02-26-2004, 12:33 PM
The line about the lottery is the most common one, but most people with visions can't see things about themselves, just other people or events. And quite often it's not *that* specific. They might see a loved one holding a lotto ticket sobbing with joy, but they wouldn't be able to see the numbers on the ticket.
It's a punny argument, though :awinky:

Things like astrology and numerology are so popular because they are so uncannily accurate. Not your generic "daily horoscope" in the paper (those are TOO generic), but either drawing down your chart or figuring up your numbers will surprise even the most jaded skeptic.

Btw, I'm a Scorpio with a Libra cusp. Translation: I'm a nice bitch who gives a shit far too often.

Nickatilynx
02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Feb 26 2004, 09:41 AM
The line about the lottery is the most common one, but most people with visions can't see things about themselves, just other people or events. And quite often it's not *that* specific. They might see a loved one holding a lotto ticket sobbing with joy, but they wouldn't be able to see the numbers on the ticket.
It's a punny argument, though :awinky:

Things like astrology and numerology are so popular because they are so uncannily accurate. Not your generic "daily horoscope" in the paper (those are TOO generic), but either drawing down your chart or figuring up your numbers will surprise even the most jaded skeptic.

Btw, I'm a Scorpio with a Libra cusp. Translation: I'm a nice bitch who gives a shit far too often.
(cough) bullshit! (cough)

OMG~!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SUDDENLY have a strong feeling that someone who looks like one of the musketeers is going to post this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick are you taking anything for that cough?

or did ya 'nick' something

ahhhhhh

;-))))

Last edited by Nickatilynx at Feb 26 2004, 10:12 AM

Vick
02-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Nick are you taking anything for that cough? B)

or did ya 'nick' something

ahhhhhh

LeeNoga
02-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Reading along in this thread I caught a part of that John Edward's crossing over show [he is psychic and lets dead folk talk thru him].

Ya know.

Lee scratches her tits.

Its makes no sense some of the things they are alleged to be trying to communicate. If they are going to say stuff why would the whole event be limited to:

I see a name with "M" maybe Michael?

Guest: YES, thats my Fathers name.

Psychic: Does the number 14 mean anything to you?

Guest: Yes, its my great great great half Sisters cousins Uncles B-day.

Psychic: I see a white flower, something special is happening.

Guest: Its my daughters birthday this week.

Stop.

Ok, then we see a personal interview later and this guest feels life altered because they were communicated to by a lost family member.

Lee's question:

If a dead person is trying to communicate would they not want to say something more significant than a persons name, or calender date?

Vick
02-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Don't even get me started about John Edwards

He is an absolute piece of garbage, a parasite living off of and feeding from other's misery

Nickatilynx
02-26-2004, 01:29 PM
John Edwards ,as South Park said ,is the Biggest douche in the universe.

sarettah
02-26-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Feb 26 2004, 01:37 PM
I knew you were gonna say that.............. :blink:

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sarettah+Feb 26 2004, 01:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarettah @ Feb 26 2004, 01:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nickatilynx@Feb 26 2004, 01:37 PM
I knew you were gonna say that.............. :blink:[/b][/quote]
I knew someone would say that. just wasn't sure who.

Peaches
02-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Colin+Feb 26 2004, 03:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin @ Feb 26 2004, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -sarettah@Feb 26 2004, 01:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Nickatilynx@Feb 26 2004, 01:37 PM
I knew you were gonna say that.............. :blink:
I knew someone would say that. just wasn't sure who.[/b][/quote]
I knew somone whose name starts with an R...no, no, an S...I see both somehow.....was going to say that....and that someone with a name that starts with an...ocean? No, that's not it...a C! Yes, someone with a C name would respond.

Amazingly, I also knew I was going to make this post! :zoinks:

DrGuile
02-26-2004, 02:12 PM
I've learned not to laugh at people's belief, nothing good ever comes of it...

but right now, I really have to bite my lip!

:agrin:

Maybe its because Mercury was taking Venus doggy-style in the house of Mars when I was born....

Or maybe its something crazy like the way I was raised, or my interactions with others and personal experiences throughout my life....

Almighty Colin
02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DrGuile@Feb 26 2004, 02:20 PM
I've learned not to laugh at people's belief, nothing good ever comes of it...
Your own laughter.