PDA

View Full Version : Acacia 4Q Conference Call today!

FightThePatent
02-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Listen in via streaming audio or phone:

Acacia Research Corporation Earnings Conference Call (Q4 2003)

Scheduled to start Thu, Feb 19, 2004, 4:30 pm Eastern.

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/9/39359.html

Time to see how the numbers don't add up.

For those that miss the conference call, I will be writing up a summary article after the call.

Fight the Pumping!

Mike AI
02-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Want to make any predictions before the call?

Dravyk
02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Say "4Q" real fast, and it's an aptly named conference. :D

PeerPatrick
02-19-2004, 02:07 PM
smart money shorts the fuck out of ACTG today, then bashes them on the mainstream boards all night...a self-fulfilling prophecy. :okthumb:

FightThePatent
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Interesting news item:

-----------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--Acacia Research Corp. (ARC.XX) filed to sell up to $50 million of stock and warrants from time to time under a shelf registration statement filed Tuesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The offering may consist of Acacia Research-CombiMatrix (CBMX) shares, and Acacia Research-Acacia Technologies (ACTG) stock or warrants.

Details of the offering will be provided in a prospectus.

Acacia Research said it will use the net proceeds from the offering for working capital.

No underwriters were listed in the filing.

-----------------------------------------------

With reported $35M in CASH, why would a company need $50M extra for working capital?

Especially since overhead is supposedly going down and revenues are going up....

3Q call, management said they had set aside $1M for litigation... pumpers and Acacia marketing were alluding to the big stack of cash in their warchest.

Maybe some answers today on the 4Q Conference Call.

Fight the Show Me The Money!

MikeFold
02-19-2004, 04:16 PM
The spin stops here......

quote:
""The Acacia Technologies group continued to roll out its Digital Media Transmission technology licensing program and entered into 72 new licensing agreements in the fourth quarter, bringing total DMT licensing agreements to 115. Fourth quarter licensing revenues increased to $481,000, from $186,000 in the previous quarter, and do not include fourth quarter license fees due from a number of licensees, which will be recognized as revenues when received in the first quarter of 2004. All of our license agreements provide for recurring payments," commented Chairman and CEO, Paul Ryan. "

My calculator damn near exploded trying to figure out how they only managed an average of 4K from each of the "licensees"

Just the top ten names should have generated 500K

but the kicker is "and do not include fourth quarter license fees due from a number of licensees, which will be recognized as revenues when received in the first quarter of 2004"

say what????

Last edited by MikeFold at Feb 19 2004, 05:55 PM

RawAlex
02-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Fold: no matter how you slice it, the revenue per license is way too low to make sense. 4k per license means they need thousands of those licenses just to cover expenses ongoing... they are nowhere near, and now they are tied in court for a while to come. This is quite possibly the proof that companies such as CE, Flynt, and others got MASSIVE sweetheart deals (remember, they were all signed up before, they are in the 4Q number)... so there ya go.

I think the 50M is to go out and find more vague patents and try to twist them into cash. They recently hired another guy to do that specific job.

Alex

MikeFold
02-19-2004, 05:45 PM
something is terribly awry here....

DrGuile
02-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by MikeFold@Feb 19 2004, 05:53 PM
something is terribly awry here....
That's a good thing.

FightThePatent
02-19-2004, 06:17 PM
4Q Conference Call concluded... running the spin through the Fight The Patent SpinORama Translator, satirized for your sanity.

http://www.fightthepatent.com/v2/ACTG4Q.html

Fight the Long Articles!

FightThePatent
02-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by MikeFold@Feb 19 2004, 01:24 PM
My calculator damn near exploded trying to figure out how they only managed an average of 4K from each of the "licensees"

The $481,000 is for 4th quarter licenses. Multiply that number by 4 to get an estimate of annualized licensing.

Out of 115 licenses, take out about 15 who were small webmasters who paid $1,500 (i talked to many that did sign).

The number comes to about $24,000 / license.

Fight the Annualized Licensing!