PDA

View Full Version : The Million Dollar Ideas thread....

sarettah
02-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Back when I was working for my last company, several of us put up a white board... Each day, we would jot down ideas that came to mind... Most were unworkable or unrealistic, but occasionally we came up with something that we implemented or tried to get the bigwigs to buy into.

So my reason for starting the thread is to see if anybody has any old ideas gathering dust in the corner or new ideas popping into their brain that they know they won't use, but someone else on the board might be able to use. At the very least, even the most outrageous ideas might spark something that someone else might benefit from.

And to answer the question "why would I give out my ideas for free?"

If you aren't using an idea, then it isn't doing a fucking thing for you. By verbalizing an idea, you might benefit someone else and that may in turn end up benefitting you.

sarettah
02-18-2004, 08:47 PM
First idea....

I shopped this one to my old employers about a year ago. They were not interested at the time because the FTC had kind of kicked them off the web pretty permanently.

I do not have my original presentation (diagrams, the works) in front of me, so please bear with me because I can get pretty discombobolated pretty fucking quick when I get typing)

This idea requires good connections with the processors and card companies, big fucking pipes and a large server operation (imho).

The Adult Intra Net (an adult umbrella so to speak):

With the pressures of the various card companies increasing and the promise of further pressures from the Feds, it is pretty obvious to me that sometime in the forseeable future, the adult web needs to go behind close doors. A gateway if you will.

An intranet (private network not accessible to the general public) can be created within the internet through the use of some DNS tricks.

The idea would be to set up DNS servers as a gateway into an intranet. These would be set up to answer up for domain extensions that have not actually been assigned (I know, sounds like an old idea, selling .xxx or .adult domain names, but that is not the idea, it is only a necessity for implementation of the idea)

Move as much adult as you can onto domains that are only accessible through those DNS servers (starting with your own domains and then selling it to others). The domains behind the wall all have the made up domain extension, so they are only being answered up for from your dns server, no others. For someone to get to the address of the domains behind the wall, they must dns off your dns server directly, so they must change their dns settings to point at your server or you have to (through installed software) change their settings for them.

Then, all your regular domains get pointed at the intranet's front door (kind of like a big old avs system at this point). To get into the protected domains, the users must go through your front door. To ain acces, they must go through your age verification process. This should be a process that meets all requirements that have been proposed in COPA and other regulations in order to keep the feds happy.

So, now,no one can acces the domains behind the wall unless their DNS is pointing at you and they have passed your verification, sort of an AVS scheme at this point.

The user, to gain access to your site still must sign up and present the credit card. This is where good connections within the processing companies and card companies comes in. The transaction to join must be developed in conjunction with them. Let them spell out what the transaction process must be. Make the processing and scrub tight as hell to guarantee the transaction (several ideas there, but that is a different idea). This becomes what I will refer to as a verified transaction (for lack of a better term)

Now, we go out and talk other folks into moving their sites (free, pay and avs) behind the wall. The rules for them coming behind the wall are that their content and site must be certfified as legal and they must sign a contract agreeing to keep it legal and aboveboard) they move in for free after being certified. They then change out their dns to point at your front door and you assign them a new domain extension for use behind the wall.

What are the benefits for them ? They now have a good age verification on the front end to keep the feds off their back. Their content is protected better because not everyone in the world can get to them, to rip off the content at this point, the user has to have come through the front door to gain access to the intranet.

An additional benefit is that they can keep the billing they have, or they can come under your billing umbrella and make use of the verified transaction system that you developed with the card company.

Anyway, this is getting too fucking long and most of you have the know how to follow this to it's logical (or illogical, as the case mey be) end.

Thats my two cents for now.....

sarettah
02-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Free phone calls across VOIP.... paid for by sponsors....User has to listen to a sponsor message at the beginning of each call.."This call is brought to you by Oprano...etc etc"

Sponsor pays advertising fees...

KRL
02-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by sarettah@Feb 18 2004, 09:03 PM
Free phone calls across VOIP.... paid for by sponsors....User has to listen to a sponsor message at the beginning of each call.."This call is brought to you by Oprano...etc etc"

Already seen that idea on the Net.

JR
02-19-2004, 10:49 AM
i once had a great idea for pedal powered wheelchairs... this way they can exercise their legs instead of just sitting there all the time. i don't know why no one has done this yet.

Peaches
02-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by JR@Feb 19 2004, 11:57 AM
i once had a great idea for pedal powered wheelchairs... this way they can exercise their legs instead of just sitting there all the time. i don't know why no one has done this yet.
Put that with my glasses for blind people and stereos for the deaf ideas and I think we have the start of a company! :)

sarettah
02-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by KRL+Feb 19 2004, 10:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KRL @ Feb 19 2004, 10:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@Feb 18 2004, 09:03 PM

Already seen that idea on the Net.[/b][/quote]
I threw that past my last employer back in '99 when they were looking for additional revenue streams... They thought it was dumb...

In my mind it could also be used on traditional long distance stuff.. and they owned several dozen LECs, so they had an infrastructure in place that could have handled it.....

Oh well, you live and learn......

Last edited by sarettah at Feb 19 2004, 11:23 AM

$tanDaMan
02-19-2004, 02:12 PM
sarettah i got a special 'ideas' folder, which has been sitting there 'until resources become avaliable'
i actually have 10 or so great ideas, but i really think i turn them into reality once i get the resources :)

Here are some of them that have already been used by other people:

Board Spyder - i was talking about it 2 years ago, and had a prototype, it came out a year ago :)

gotta dig around to see if i can give away a few :)

I have great product / mainstream ideas, but i am kinda scared to go to the 'patent companies' who take 50% from ya if they like the product...has anyone had luck with them? is it worth it?

Tonda_WEGCash
02-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Feb 19 2004, 11:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Feb 19 2004, 11:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--JR@Feb 19 2004, 11:57 AM
Put that with my glasses for blind people and stereos for the deaf ideas and I think we have the start of a company! :)[/b][/quote]
Yep Yep!

My million dollar idea:

Put together a website with all of everyones "great" ideas! We could market them as gag gifts:)

Peaches
02-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Tonda_WEGCash@Feb 19 2004, 03:30 PM
!!!!!!!
What's the deal with the Cartoon Gabe??!!! :zoinks: Unacceptable. :angry:

masterp74
02-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by KRL+Feb 19 2004, 07:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KRL @ Feb 19 2004, 07:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@Feb 18 2004, 09:03 PM

Already seen that idea on the Net.[/b][/quote]
we pay KRL $100,000 for a $1.1 million dollar idea

sarettah
02-19-2004, 08:56 PM
I would take that offer....

100K in the bank is worth a whole lot more than a mill in my head.... :okthumb:

masterp74
02-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by sarettah@Feb 19 2004, 06:04 PM

if your Oprano board user name is KRL, then it's a deal.

-side note- $100,000 will be paid as soon as the idea makes $1,100,000 :agrin:

sarettah
02-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by masterp74+Feb 19 2004, 09:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (masterp74 @ Feb 19 2004, 09:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--sarettah@Feb 19 2004, 06:04 PM

if your Oprano board user name is KRL, then it's a deal.
[/b][/quote]
That is why I said "I would" take the deal...

If I were KRL, I would have said "I take the deal".....

gotta watch for those nuances..... :okthumb: