PDA

View Full Version : fucking Cingular...

Winetalk.com
02-06-2004, 10:34 AM
my cell doesnt work overseas despite their fucking promisses....

pimpdog, eat shit mofo!

Evil Chris
02-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Where are you travelling Serge?

Mike AI
02-06-2004, 10:55 AM
He is going through out South America, I think Bolivia and Peru are on his list.

Meni
02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Serge see, just for those roll over minutes, now you are fucked, shoulda stayed with .......

Hooper
02-06-2004, 12:09 PM
yes, serge has a hard life ;-)

cingular sucks. everybody i know who uses them has had bad luck.

next time i'm going with verizon, i've heard very good things about them.

BradShaw
02-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Serge, you need a satellite phone for when you are in middle of nowhere. I have one, if you ever need to borrow. About $1 a min. Works anywhere in the world.

Peaches
02-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Cingular is the only carrier I can reach (it helps that their tower is on my mountain :P ) and I've never had a problem with them. I had Sprint before that and was happy there too. Granted, I don't use the phone all that much, but except for the shows when everyone and their brother is cramming up the lines, all has been fine.

The Big Island in Hawaii was the only place I couldn't pick up a Sprint signal besides my house, lol! I don't think any service is going to work everywhere.

Mike AI
02-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Feb 6 2004, 12:22 PM
Serge, you need a satellite phone for when you are in middle of nowhere. I have one, if you ever need to borrow. About $1 a min. Works anywhere in the world.
The only people I know with Sat phone are Brad, Noah, and Osama.

Think about it.

Winetalk.com
02-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BradShaw@Feb 6 2004, 12:22 PM
thanks, Brad, I{ll take on your offer next month when we go to Amsterdam -London

:)

pimpdog
02-06-2004, 12:39 PM
are you back to sucking dick again serge? you change your mind more often than a hooker changes her underwear.

TeenGodFather
02-06-2004, 01:02 PM
It's not about the company providing the service, it's about the phone.
European and US based phones work on a different frequency. :)
(might be about the company as well though)

TeenGodFather
02-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Buy this :
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,2740,00.html
Style and it works, I bought a newer version of it today, 8910i (that doesn't work all around the world though.)

Winetalk.com
02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by TeenGodFather@Feb 6 2004, 01:10 PM
It's not about the company providing the service, it's about the phone.
European and US based phones work on a different frequency. :)
(might be about the company as well though)
oh puuhhleeze!

I have Nokia 6200 which is _supposed_ to work everywhere but Japan and Korea...
Cingular sucks ass!

Hell Puppy
02-07-2004, 03:13 AM
Cellphones do not work worth a shit in south america except for maybe Rio.

To stand a fighting chance, you need a phone that supports GSM 1900...which the Nokia 6200 does. Second thing is to be in coverage, which is spotty at best and non-existent once you leave the city. La Paz and Lima should have a bit of coverage. And then last ingredient is your cell provider has to have a roaming agreement with the local provider. Expect to pay $3 a minute or better.

No matter what the provider promises, consider it good luck if you can get a call thru down there.

There are companies that rent satellite phones, that's the easiest way to stay connected if you really like to get out of the major cities and see the world but yet be in touch with civilization.

gonzo
02-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Feb 6 2004, 10:42 AM
my cell doesnt work overseas despite their fucking promisses....

pimpdog, eat shit mofo!
Our resident tech geek girl sez this...

"Serge's phone is multi-band like ours and works in different countries. I don't know about Cingular in particular, but we actually have to change the SIM cards to European ones when we go there. You can buy them pre-paid."

Hell Puppy
02-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Actually not a bad plan, any GSM phone should let you swap the SIM to one that is provided locally.

New SIM will have a local number, but combine it with an international calling card and you likely come out cheaper than roaming.