PDA

View Full Version : Psychological Operations in the Middle East

Buff
01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
From: MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3068575&p1=0)

The Secret War
It’s been the best-covered war in history. But the key to success was what we didn’t see: Special Forces, psyop, the air war—and the utterly inept Iraqi Army

By Evan Thomas and Martha Brant

Newsweek

April 21 issue - Know thine enemy is a cardinal rule of war. Ignorance was costly for American soldiers fighting guerrillas in Vietnam. Before plunging into Iraq, U.S. psychological-warfare operators studied certain cultural stereotypes.

One was that young Arab toughs cannot tolerate insults to their manhood. So, as American armored columns pushed down the road to Baghdad, 400-watt loudspeakers mounted on Humvees would, from time to time, blare out in Arabic that Iraqi men are impotent. The Fedayeen, the fierce but undisciplined and untrained Iraqi irregulars, could not bear to be taunted. Whether they took the bait or saw an opportunity to attack, many Iraqis stormed out of their concealed or dug-in positions, pushing aside their human shields in some cases—to be slaughtered by American tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles.

I don't think you could convince very many Americans to undergo a gruesome and pointless death by casting aspersions on their weenies. This is why I could never be a cultural relativist. Stuff like this is a bug, not a feature.

Last edited by Buff at Jan 21 2004, 10:59 AM

Carrie
01-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Buff@Jan 21 2004, 11:50 AM
I don't think you could convince very many Americans to undergo a gruesome and pointless death by casting aspersions on their weenies.
LMFAO!!! :salute:

Mike AI
01-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Buff@Jan 21 2004, 11:50 AM
From: MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3068575&p1=0)

The Secret War
It’s been the best-covered war in history. But the key to success was what we didn’t see: Special Forces, psyop, the air war—and the utterly inept Iraqi ArmyBy Evan Thomas and Martha Brant
Newsweek

April 21 issue - Know thine enemy is a cardinal rule of war. Ignorance was costly for American soldiers fighting guerrillas in Vietnam. Before plunging into Iraq, U.S. psychological-warfare operators studied certain cultural stereotypes.

One was that young Arab toughs cannot tolerate insults to their manhood. So, as American armored columns pushed down the road to Baghdad, 400-watt loudspeakers mounted on Humvees would, from time to time, blare out in Arabic that Iraqi men are impotent. The Fedayeen, the fierce but undisciplined and untrained Iraqi irregulars, could not bear to be taunted. Whether they took the bait or saw an opportunity to attack, many Iraqis stormed out of their concealed or dug-in positions, pushing aside their human shields in some cases—to be slaughtered by American tanks and Bradley fighting vehicles.

I don't think you could convince very many Americans to undergo a gruesome and pointless death by casting aspersions on their weenies. This is why I could never be a cultural relativist. Stuff like this is a bug, not a feature.

HAHA this is a good article.

Glad that we are blessed with enemies like this!

XXXPhoto
01-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Buff@Jan 21 2004, 08:50 AM
Buff,

Have to disagree... Walk down the street telling every guy you meet that
their pecker is puny... Pretty sure some will take a swing at ya...

Carrie
01-22-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by XXXPhoto+Jan 22 2004, 12:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XXXPhoto @ Jan 22 2004, 12:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Buff@Jan 21 2004, 08:50 AM
Buff,

their pecker is puny... Pretty sure some will take a swing at ya...[/b][/quote]
Would this be a street in southern Texas or downtown San Francisco? :P

JR
01-22-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by XXXPhoto+Jan 21 2004, 09:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XXXPhoto @ Jan 21 2004, 09:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Buff@Jan 21 2004, 08:50 AM
Buff,

their pecker is puny... Pretty sure some will take a swing at ya...[/b][/quote]
would they jump in front of an enemy tank knowing they will be gunned down by a .50 caliber machine gun because the gunner said their pecker was small?