PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for web design impossible?

Elli
01-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi folks,

My home insurance company just got new underwriters this year and so I had to change my policy. However, they found after much calling around that NOONE will insure a home if there is a web design business being run out of it (I'm in Vancouver, Canada). I did find one carrier, but the premiums start at 2000$ and go up from there. I was paying 500$ before for my entire house. gr. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Apparently web design is in the same high risk category as accountants and whatnot, but we can't figure out why since there is obviously not a lot of on-site clients or assets to steal. I have asked them to insure the house without insuring the web design business, but they said that's impossible as long as I am doing web design in the house. I would have to get an office to do that, at which point I need to pay the 2000$ premium for th eoffice PLUS the house's insurance.

Anyone else out there like me? Please?

Sabby
01-14-2004, 05:44 PM
YES!!! I just found out that I had my Home insurance policy rejected on my new house due to my business!!! Im in Edmonton.

Thankfully my mortgage still went through without it cause all I needed was a letter from them, which was recieved before they rejected me.

Now I got to find another insurance company... if I can... eeeeeek!!!

Sabby:)

sharky
01-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Instead of Web Design, say you do Graphic design

It will help

Elli
01-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Sabby@Jan 14 2004, 02:52 PM
YES!!! I just found out that I had my Home insurance policy rejected on my new house due to my business!!! Im in Edmonton.

Thankfully my mortgage still went through without it cause all I needed was a letter from them, which was recieved before they rejected me.

Now I got to find another insurance company... if I can... eeeeeek!!!

It wouldn't affect the mortgage, would it? I mean, my bank knew my business before they gave me the mortgage, so surely they would have mentioned something.. I hope!

The one carrier I found was through Westland Insurance, called Cree Church.
Cree Church (http://www.creechurch.com/English/home.html)
This is the application they want me to fill out, as well as a resume :

http://www.creechurch.com/English/PDF%20fi...Application.pdf (http://www.creechurch.com/English/PDF%20files/TEKPAC%20Application.pdf)

Elli
01-14-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by sharky@Jan 14 2004, 02:57 PM
Instead of Web Design, say you do Graphic design

It will help
I dont' think I can go back and change that now :)

Sabby
01-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Yes, I think it would. Your home needs to be insured in order to have the bank mortgage it for you. Hopefully I will get things sorted out before it becomes an issue with my bank as well.

DannyCox
01-14-2004, 07:09 PM
You can always get a Post Office box, and make that your "Corporate Head Office". Then tell the insurance company that your house and business is separate.

Got that one from my Insurance Broker :P

Elli
01-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DannyCox@Jan 14 2004, 04:17 PM
You can always get a Post Office box, and make that your "Corporate Head Office". Then tell the insurance company that your house and business is separate.

Got that one from my Insurance Broker :P
Seriously? heheheh too funny :) I might have to try that!

Sabby
01-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Well that sounds like a good solution. Thanks Danny :)

Its not that they dont want to insure your business in regards to your equipment and assets. Its that the liability risk is just way too high. They dont want to have to cover your ass if you get sued!