PDA

View Full Version : Im eyeballing DVD burners

gonzo
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Darci--

Im looking at buying a DVD burner for that laptop I got.
Needs to be external and work with either or firewire or USB 2.0.

Im worried about compatability in home DVD players as well.
Those hardcore home movies we made with Kev and WoZ should sell pretty good but I dont want chargebacks?

Think you can help me out?

Ever considered having a TV show or something doing this?

Edd
01-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Gonz -

While I'm not Darci, my advice to you would be to STICK WITH BRAND NAMES when it comes to external devices - Pioneer DVR-016D comes to mind, as does HP DVD 300E - both should be in the $200 range or so....
:matey:

gonzo
01-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Edd@Jan 12 2004, 11:33 AM
Gonz -

While I'm not Darci, my advice to you would be to STICK WITH BRAND NAMES when it comes to external devices - Pioneer DVR-016D comes to mind, as does HP DVD 300E - both should be in the $200 range or so....
:matey:
Thanks Edd...

Ive been admiring those 2.
I think Darci is screening those movies....gives a new meaning to Apple...

brand0n
01-12-2004, 12:05 PM
HP?!!?
god i hate those fucks. never will i ever buy anything that remotely looks like it has anything to do with hp. talk about p.o.s. the 1 i bought brand new died 5 times in its 1st year.

kath
01-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by brand0n@Jan 12 2004, 09:13 AM
HP?!!?
god i hate those fucks. never will i ever buy anything that remotely looks like it has anything to do with hp. talk about p.o.s. the 1 i bought brand new died 5 times in its 1st year.
I had to return 3 POS HPs earlier last year when I bought mine on the same day... all came with virus/worm pre-installed and none would boot up. lol Once I realized it was viral-related, I got on the phone with tech and they helped get it straight. Apparently they tested the PCs in the warehouse and that's when the bug got into the system.

However, I do have to say that the HP tech staff was VERY helpful and got the 4th one up and working fine via phone. I swore I would never buy one again (after all the cussing I did that day!) but I have been pleasantly surprised with the punishment this one seems to be taking. I generally out and out KILL a new PC every 12 months or so - I think this one could go the long haul! :okthumb:

LMK what you get Gonzo... we've been looking at those as well. Would love to have someone's personal recomendation of what to get/what NOT to get.

gonzo
01-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by kath+Jan 12 2004, 12:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kath @ Jan 12 2004, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--brand0n@Jan 12 2004, 09:13 AM
HP?!!?
I had to return 3 POS HPs earlier last year when I bought mine on the same day... all came with virus/worm pre-installed and none would boot up. lol Once I realized it was viral-related, I got on the phone with tech and they helped get it straight. Apparently they tested the PCs in the warehouse and that's when the bug got into the system.

However, I do have to say that the HP tech staff was VERY helpful and got the 4th one up and working fine via phone. I swore I would never buy one again (after all the cussing I did that day!) but I have been pleasantly surprised with the punishment this one seems to be taking. I generally out and out KILL a new PC every 12 months or so - I think this one could go the long haul! :okthumb:

LMK what you get Gonzo... we've been looking at those as well. Would love to have someone's personal recomendation of what to get/what NOT to get.[/b][/quote]
Im waiting to hear back from my personal hardware guru.
I think shes sick in bed with the flu.

Peaches
01-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Your boyfriend, HP seems to be pretty proficient regarding these things - have you contacted him? :)

gonzo
01-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 12 2004, 02:47 PM
Your boyfriend, HP seems to be pretty proficient regarding these things - have you contacted him? :)
Hes out right now filming some gay content with CT.
Atlanta bukakke!!!

Edd
01-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by kath+Jan 12 2004, 12:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kath @ Jan 12 2004, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--brand0n@Jan 12 2004, 09:13 AM
HP?!!?
I had to return 3 POS HPs earlier last year when I bought mine on the same day... all came with virus/worm pre-installed and none would boot up. lol Once I realized it was viral-related, I got on the phone with tech and they helped get it straight. Apparently they tested the PCs in the warehouse and that's when the bug got into the system.[/b][/quote]
Well first allow me to go on record here and say that I was in NO WAY attempting to inferr that HP were "good" computers. Under no circumstances will I EVER own or allow someone I know personally to purchase an HP or Compaq system - You couldn't give me one - and people have tried! Their COMPUTERS just plain blow dog.

But their PERIPHERALS, personally, can't be beat. No one makes a better more reliable scanner - and I'd looked high and low. Rock solid printers as well - nothing works like a laserjet, they run for YEARS.

The HP I suggested was just an option I'd found. Myself, I'd opt for the Pioneer. They helped start the CD-generation we now thrive in. :awinky:

Peaches
01-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by gonzo+Jan 12 2004, 04:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gonzo @ Jan 12 2004, 04:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@Jan 12 2004, 02:47 PM
Atlanta bukakke!!![/b][/quote]
Apparently I misunderstood CT when he said he was going to "Change some oil"! :unsure:

Hell Puppy
01-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Peaches+Jan 12 2004, 03:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Peaches @ Jan 12 2004, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Originally posted by -gonzo@Jan 12 2004, 04:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Peaches@Jan 12 2004, 02:47 PM
Atlanta bukakke!!!
Apparently I misunderstood CT when he said he was going to "Change some oil"! :unsure:[/b][/quote]
He's got star potential, but you gotta get him to leave it alone between shoots....he was about a half a quart low.

Hell Puppy
01-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 12 2004, 02:47 PM
I haven't researched them. Though I need to get one as well soon. I have firewire on everything, but not DVD burners at house or the office yet.

My general rule of thumb for peripherals when shopping blind is buy the second most expensive one you've actually heard of before...