PDA

View Full Version : Topbucks folds to Acacia?

Mike AI
01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
One of the defense group folds. Seems strange when the court date is right around corner?

Did the annoucement come out yet? Stock pop?

Mike AI
01-12-2004, 10:41 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040112/125149_1.html

Welcome, hrse2000 [Sign Out] Money Manager - My Yahoo! View - Customize
Financial News
Enter symbol(s) BasicPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder Book Symbol Lookup

Press Release Source: Acacia Research Corporation

Acacia Technologies Licenses Digital Media Transmission Technology to Cyberheat
Monday January 12, 7:00 am ET

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 12, 2004--Acacia Research Corporation (Nasdaq:ACTG - News; Nasdaq:CBMX - News) announced today that its Acacia Technologies group has entered into a License Agreement for its Digital Media Transmission ("DMT") technology with Cyberheat, Inc., owner of the Topbucks family of over 100 websites. These Topbucks websites receive traffic from over 3,000 other webmaster sites in exchange for paying a commission to the referring webmaster for each sign-up.
Acacia has now entered into 114 license agreements for its DMT technology with companies in the hotel in-room entertainment, e-learning, and online music, movie and adult entertainment industries

Bishop
01-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Wow! That comes as a surprise..

Carrie
01-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Quentin stepped up and made a statement about this on GFY.
Said when faced with the chance of losing and having to pay double licensing fees and triple fees for all past years, the cost was just too much to chance and would've put them out of business. :(

Winetalk.com
01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
it's OK, lots of countries followed the same logic and made non agression pacts with Hitler, Stalin included...

at the end of the day:
1) Hitler attacked them anyway
2) Hitler poisoned himself

when people beleive that not fighting saves their asses-
it doesn't work in neither politics nor business.

it only shows other agressors where the least path of resistance.

I can't wait for the day when other "patent holders" come knocking their doors....

Karma is a bitch

Hooper
01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
i dont understand why they would choose to sign less than 3 weeks before a very important and decisive hearing.

gonzo
01-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jan 12 2004, 11:36 AM
it's OK, lots of countries followed the same logic and made non agression pacts with Hitler, Stalin included...

at the end of the day:

I can't wait for the day when other "patent holders" come knocking their doors....

Karma is a bitch
Look at it this way....

Maybe he can give Pimpdog some tips on how to handle it as opposed to the whitewashing stunt he tried.

mojobill
01-12-2004, 11:46 AM
The timing is a bit interesting also... one would think they'd have had an idea this was in the works during the InterNext show, I'd have thought...

:unsure:

Carrie
01-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Hooper@Jan 12 2004, 11:46 AM
i dont understand why they would choose to sign less than 3 weeks before a very important and decisive hearing.
I suspect Acacia has been whispering in Topbucks' ear REALLY hard about "what if you lose? have you added up the licensing fees you'd have to pay? what if we decide to get an injunction to have your sites shut down until this is settled? How about we give you a seriously sweetheart deal where you don't have to pay 2%, but .5% instead?"

Like a snake in the ear... I'm sure Serge has a few old literary quotes about that.

Carrie
01-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jan 12 2004, 11:54 AM
The timing is a bit interesting also... one would think they'd have had an idea this was in the works during the InterNext show, I'd have thought...

:unsure:
Oh hell yeah. Most likely they signed before Internext, but part of the agreement was that Acacia couldn't make an announcement until Internext was over.

DrGuile
01-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Its still disapointing.

Business sense is one thing, but letting people blackmail their way to your hard earned money is a completly different thing.

Buff
01-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Serge_Oprano@Jan 12 2004, 10:36 AM

at the end of the day:

Karma is a bitch
"Peace in our time"

heh. Well said, Serge.

pimpdog
01-12-2004, 03:52 PM
unreal

fuck you gonzo
fuck you serge

epic cash . com

Last edited by pimpdog at Jan 12 2004, 01:01 PM

gonzo
01-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by pimpdog@Jan 12 2004, 04:00 PM
unreal

fuck you gonzo
fuck you serge

epic cash . com
NO thanks Id just lay there and sweat and youd fall in love.

mojobill
01-12-2004, 03:55 PM
It's the pink sunglasses.... how could he resist??

gonzo
01-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by fatbaby@Jan 12 2004, 04:03 PM
It's the pink sunglasses.... how could he resist??
Nah ask Serge he wants to dirty dick fuck us.

Rolo
01-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Will Topbucks provide information about the work of the defense group to Acacia, which could harm the others in the comming hearing?

aeon
01-12-2004, 04:59 PM
bahhh - they just
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 10 2004, 10:13 AM

signed an agreement.
and one that doesn't "seem" to require keeping their mouth shut while webmasters get fucked...

it's just business anyways - seems I'm not the only philanthropist around here :salute:

best of luck -
aeon

Nickatilynx
01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
There is a big difference between Acacia and AC.

aeon
01-12-2004, 05:25 PM
and what would that difference be? One tells people they're going to fuck them - gives them a chance to prepare...one doesn't & recruits fellow webmasters to help?

a theif's a theif - they may steal in different ways but they're still stealing...:okthumb:

best of luck -
aeon

Nickatilynx
01-12-2004, 05:36 PM
How much did you lose through not being one of Adult Checks top 350 webmasters?

you really have a hard on for them

aeon
01-12-2004, 05:53 PM
I was brought up on other AVS's that are still standing - you're assumption that I must have some sort of agenda with Adult Check - it's misguided...I have a hard on hoping desperatly they go broke...not because of what they took from me - which is nominal at best - but from people I know - and I hope the DOJ realizes the tier 1 webmasters are well within their jurisdiction...no matter if cybernet moved off shore...

maybe I'm not making it clear - they fucked over a shitload of people and certain webmasters that swallow allowed it??? This isn't Seth W. closing up shop - they did and are still taking other's money. How are they better than acacia...how...? I don't like acacia and anything they do - but they are no different in their motives and tactics then adult check and their tier one webmasters...

how are they different...because a theif wears a better suit - somehow he deserves more respect?

best of luck -
aeon

edit - a significant number of tier 1 webmasters are within the DOJ jurisdiction.

Last edited by aeon at Jan 12 2004, 03:04 PM

Carrie
01-12-2004, 06:14 PM
:headwall: :headwall: :headwall:

Peaches
01-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Back to Acacia :awinky: , from reading the thread on GFY, it seems to me that TB did this NOT under the direction of their legal counsel, but as strictly a business decision.

Granted, I'm not a big player, I don't have a huge amount of $$$ that could be lost and in fact, I didn't even get an Acacia letter, but IMHO, if you're going to be paying $$$$$$ to attorneys - including patent attorneys from what I understand - it seems you'd do what THEY suggest you do. :unsure:

I can see it as an "insurance policy" - I said that when CE signed up, but I have to wonder if there's business lost when making the decision.....

JSA Matt
01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
wow, that's fucked up. :salute:

Nickatilynx
01-12-2004, 07:09 PM
how are they different...because a theif wears a better suit - somehow he deserves more respect?

Welcome to The West.When did you leave communism? ;-))))

aeon
01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
so yer saying an armani indicates you love adam smith?

I Knew we'd be buddies :inlove:

best of luck -
aeon

Nickatilynx
01-12-2004, 07:17 PM
I buy my suits here (http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/ghlive/tailoring/Tailoring.html) :)

aeon
01-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 12 2004, 04:25 PM
I buy my suits here (http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/ghlive/tailoring/Tailoring.html) :)
you bourgeois traitor you... :awinky:

best of luck -
aeon

Mike AI
01-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Nickatilynx@Jan 12 2004, 07:25 PM

I am going to be in London for a week in March, do you recomend I get a suit? I have a few tailored ones that I had made locally, but I was not to thrilled about them.

Nickatilynx
01-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Mike,

Absolutely.The range of cloth you can chose from is incredible and the service is "old School".

No1 Saville Row.

Plus once they have your measurements on file. (Provided you stay the same size) ;-)

You can order others.

Its worth it.You'll feel like a million dollars.

"Look good , play good"

They also visit major US cities and you can arrange appointments then too.

:)

Last edited by Nickatilynx at Jan 12 2004, 05:35 PM