PDA

View Full Version : Spamateur Masters

Carrie
12-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Gotta rant about this stupid shit somewhere since I can't do it over there... can't even post as a guest now, you have to login to post.
Unfortunately the board doesn't want to take my password anymore and it's not being sent in the shitload of SPAM I've gotten this morning... so I was left with no option but to email Brett.
It wasn't a very nice email, either. I'd go into details but that would just make me look like even MORE of a pissy bitch...

God I hate spam, ineptitude, and bullshit excuses like "the board did it". Anyone who's worked with message board software and/or databases knows it takes one database query to straighten this out if you want to. The key word there being "if".

:headwall:

gonzo
12-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Carrie@Dec 30 2003, 01:27 PM
Gotta rant about this stupid shit somewhere since I can't do it over there... can't even post as a guest now, you have to login to post.
Unfortunately the board doesn't want to take my password anymore and it's not being sent in the shitload of SPAM I've gotten this morning... so I was left with no option but to email Brett.
It wasn't a very nice email, either. I'd go into details but that would just make me look like even MORE of a pissy bitch...

God I hate spam, ineptitude, and bullshit excuses like "the board did it". Anyone who's worked with message board software and/or databases knows it takes one database query to straighten this out if you want to. The key word there being "if".

:headwall:
Theres always Oprano Amateurs....we dont send email.

Kacy
12-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I have gotten quite a few and the field for my un/pw were just the variables. Looks like that part is not even on the newest ones I have received. I liked it better when it said new topic and showed the first post of the new topic. That way you just read that first post and determine whether or not you were interested in replying and then go the board. Now you have to go the board to see what the post is. I guess its a way to get more clicks to board.

I feel your frusteraions though Carrie.
Ah well, such is life :)

khy
12-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Sleazy marketing on the pretense of making the board better.

I guess if it brings a bunch of old members back to the board, it might make it better... but the method stinks. I feel sorry for my support webmaster. He's probably getting and nice handful of spams for each and every new topic as we had accounts created by board admin for several of our sites when the board was first launched.

:moon:

Hell Puppy
12-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Yup, stupid move.

They could've left the defaults for "best of" and the newsletter and such turned on without pissing too many people off. Filling up mailboxes with dozens of messages daily with new post notifications is just dumb.

It gets worse. Unless I missed it somewhere, there's no "forgotten password" link on the site. This caused me to utter some dirty words as it took me a while to remember my password.

gonzo
12-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Hell Puppy@Dec 31 2003, 12:48 AM
Yup, stupid move.

They could've left the defaults for "best of" and the newsletter and such turned on without pissing too many people off. Filling up mailboxes with dozens of messages daily with new post notifications is just dumb.

It gets worse. Unless I missed it somewhere, there's no "forgotten password" link on the site. This caused me to utter some dirty words as it took me a while to remember my password.
Yall are going to shit but Im going to take up for them just a little.

The people running that board....collectively had no idea how to run a resource/community. Its just lack of experience.
I know Brett and Sammypersonally and both of them seem to be good eggs.
The CamZ people....my only experience with them personally is the $70 I had to shell out 2 years ago in Florida.
While Im not a cheap motherfucker...I did find it rather ridiculous to have to spend that kind of cash to attend an event that was listed as a free party.
Thank GOD I had Cash and Carrie along as a date. Or it was a hundred bucks.

Not to mention the 2257 I ahd to sign and the copy of my drivers license.
When I asked the onsite person why they charged us to get into a free event...she told me it was to cover the food.

Pricey for cold pasta and stale garlic bread.

khy
12-31-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Dec 31 2003, 07:41 AM
I've nothing against Brett and Sammy, but nothing anyone says will convince me that they didn't concsiously decide to pre-check those mailing boxes knowing it would bring am-masters email back in front of many inactive users. They may be inexperienced at running a bbs, but they're not stupid.

gonzo
12-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by khy+Dec 31 2003, 02:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (khy @ Dec 31 2003, 02:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--gonzo@Dec 31 2003, 07:41 AM
I've nothing against Brett and Sammy, but nothing anyone says will convince me that they didn't concsiously decide to pre-check those mailing boxes knowing it would bring am-masters email back in front of many inactive users. They may be inexperienced at running a bbs, but they're not stupid.[/b][/quote]
I understand. I just felt compelled to present the facts as I know em.
Who checked what...only they know for sure. I can tell you I got a lot of stuff myself.

Vick
12-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Hmmmm
Since it comes with an admin email addy maybe if we all started just returning the emails someone would get the idea

sedona
12-31-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by gonzo@Dec 31 2003, 07:41 AM

Not to mention the 2257 I ahd to sign and the copy of my drivers license.
When I asked the onsite person why they charged us to get into a free event...she told me it was to cover the food.

Pricey for cold pasta and stale garlic bread.
:yowsa: